Thanks to this forum I was able to upgrade my Mac Pro 1,1's cpu

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fromthealder, Oct 25, 2009.

1. fromthealder macrumors newbie

I've been a lurker for a long time, but I wanted "pop in" to thank those who posted information on how to upgrade the processor on Mac Pro 1,1's.

Back in the summer of 2007 I was getting itchy to replace my Power Mac MDD 1.25. I've always had towers, I had a nice monitor and the price between the 24" iMacs and refurbished Mac Pro's wasn't that much. I saw a refurbished 2Ghz Mac Pro for $1800 and jumped on it. It's been a really nice machine. Even though I don't do a lot of cpu intensive things, after reading several threads here about how doable it is to upgrade the processor I finally decided to go for it. Since I'm not a heavy duty user I decided to upgrade to dual core 3Ghz processors (5360's) rather than quad cores - they were a LOT cheaper than quad cores on eBay (although I didn't take the advice to "be patient" and just used the "Buy it Now" feature).

It wasn't what I'd call really easy, but after just a couple of minor installation issues the "new" processors seem to be working fine (the cpu's are running a degree or two over ambient temperature when there is no heavy loading). Things aren't blisteringly faster but the computer is definitely quicker. It should be fast enough for my purposes for at least a few more years.

Thanks again!

2. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

I jumped from 2xDual Core 5130's 2.0 GHz to 2xQuad Core E5345's 2.33 GHz and still looking for more performance (X5355 or X5365).