That 30% lasts forever

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalexn, Oct 8, 2012.

1. kalexn macrumors 6502

Is it just me or does it seem like the battery drains a lot faster in the first 50 or so percent and then the last bit lasts twice as long as the first did? The other day I was trying to get it to die and was playing music on 1% and it just kept lasting.

2. fireman13 macrumors 6502

That's because you we're playing music..... Crank the brightness up and play a game and you wouldn't have made very long at all.
    Music doesn't take much juice at all.

3. kalexn thread starter macrumors 6502

well, I just mean in general even when I am just playing around with it. It just seems like the begining 50% goes down a lot faster than last 50%.

4. zone23 macrumors 68000

I've been running 1 Day, 15 hours with 7 hours of usage and I'm at 25% battery. That said I didn't try cranking the brightness all the way up.. hardly find that as a good example of the expected battery life of a phone. I purposely tried to kill it and it died..

5. fireman13 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I agree. It does seem last a good while that last few percent. While I can't get the 8 and 9 hours apple claims, I do regularly get 7 hrs with one to two days of stand by. I can live with that.

----------

It's a great example of battery life when your auto brightness goes to full brightness automatically. I personally turn auto brightness off. Turn your auto brightness on then go outside on a well lit day and see where your brightness bar goes. Then do your battery test. It is a real example.

6. zone23 macrumors 68000

For me coming from the HTC Rezound this is amazing battery life. The Rezound would barley make it 8 hours without a charge. Looks like I will be able to go 2 days without charging. Of course I have gone in to the settings and turned off a lot of location stuff for some apps and notifications for some apps. Like Best Buy app don't need location or notifications.

I actually didn't plug it in all weekend so not sure why it only says 15 hours but whatever..

7. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I notice it lasts a long time on 100 then drains fast

8. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

It's a calibration issue I believe.

I've watched 45 minutes of Netflix while at 1% before. Now that my phone has been broken in a bit more the readings are more accurate. Last night I was using apps for about 5 minutes (at 1%) and the phone shut off.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Phone vendors have not learned from auto makers. U know the gas gauge in your car is calibrated so that when the tank is full, it takes a while for the needle to drop, but once it goes down the half mark THEN it drops. This gives drivers the illusion of long lasting. ;)

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

my guess is they are sitting on this little nugget until they experience a "REAL" battery issue and will adjust the calibration via some OTA update that will give the illusion of longer-lasting battery when in fact the first 75% of the battery is being depleted between 100%-50% charge...

----------

FWIW I just got

U: 12H
    S: 1D 4H

not too shabby I will say...