That Corn Pop Is Racist

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
After a man tweeted to kelloggs that the one corn pop who was dark skinned was a janitor while the lighter skinned corn pops are playing or shopping in artwork on a cereal box, Kelloggs apologized and said they would change the artwork. The darker skinned corn pop is now seen watching a bunch of other darker skinned corn pops play basketball while he eats a slice of watermelon.

"Kellogg's has agreed to redesign the artwork on its Corn Pops cereal boxes after a complaint on Twitter slammed it as racially insensitive imagery.

The cereal box's artwork shows the corn pop cartoon characters inhabiting a shopping mall and taking part in various activities. Some corn pops are shopping, while others are playing arcade games or jump rope.

Amid the bustle is one brown-colored corn pop dressed as a janitor pushing a floor waxer."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kellogg-s-redesigns-corn-pop-s-cereal-box-after-accusation-n814656

hmmfe

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
There are a few other threads discussing racist watermelon and such that I think are crazy. But, in this case there is only one brown corn pop and he is a floor cleaner while all the other corn pops are shopping, playing in the fountain, etc? Seems strange that they would have one corn pop "of color" as they say. I'll give Kellogg's the benefit of the doubt and just assume it was a mistake. Aren't there any editors in this world anymore? If it is shown that it was purposeful, then Kellogg's deserves what is coming.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Oh bloody hell..

If we were to follow this person's logic, then that must mean that whole entire boxes of Kellogg's Cocoa Krispies are basically Kellogg's Rice Krispies in blackface. :eek::rolleyes:

Does this mean that Cocoa Puffs are just Kix in blackface? and Peanut Butter Puffs are Kix trying to look Hispanic?

I'm saying a lot of this in jest, but bloody hell. I mean, what happens when he meets blue corn? Is it going to be an insult to Smurfs? Because it's apparent the guy has never seen maize.

BL.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
That is pretty crazy. They changed the color on only one? Then put it in a working condition? Is that like a jab at workers of color or what?

Reactions: BeeGood

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
It's not just the tone, it's also the whole getup. The headphones and baseball cap. It's an obvious stereotyped depiction of a Hispanic/Latino janitor.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
This is in my arena (graphic design). It's inconceivable to me that nobody looked at this during concept and development and stopped to ask why the one pop was brown and pushing a broom.

Utterly inconceivable.
Close to my area as well. I see a few possibilities; 1. Art director in charge was simply tone deaf and no one else involved could see the potential issue. This is kind of where the diversity thing could have come into play & someone possibly speak up & go 'WTH?'. 2. An artist thought it was actually a funny little joke that they thought someone may or may not have caught. It's done all the time. This time it wasn't caught. 3. Someone did think it was funny, and it was no big deal, so what harm would come of it. Who's going to notice? Only in these times when people are hyper alert, it was a pretty bad miss.

When you're selling a product, with the pervasiveness of social media, you've got to realize people are hyper aware. Some of those people may also be your current or potential customers. Customers you don't want to steer to competitors because of even a whiff of racism or callousness.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Hey Ahmed, why are you feeding your precious nerdling bowls of hydrogenated oil, sugar, and annatto and allowing “it” to stare mindlessly at the box. Get off your ass and slice up some tofu.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
I can see how this could be overlooked, but someone in the design process did it intentionally. Could have been an actual racist, someone stupid who thought it was funny...

Only offfensive for it being overlooked. Obvious racism makes the instigator look dumb.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Why did they bother to put one of a different color anyway. I don’t think anyone would care if they had done that.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I'm more surprised Corn Pops are still around.
You'd be surprised. Sugar Smacks are still around, even with Dig 'em.
Though they did get rid of the Cookie Crook with Cookie Crisp.

If you'd like, we can hook you up with a box of Pacman, Mr. T, Donkey Kong, or Smurfberry Crunch cereals. ;)

BL.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
You'd be surprised. Sugar Smacks are still around, even with Dig 'em.
Though they did get rid of the Cookie Crook with Cookie Crisp.

If you'd like, we can hook you up with a box of Pacman, Mr. T, Donkey Kong, or Smurfberry Crunch cereals. ;)

BL.
No thanks. No, I'm just surprised because I always thought they wound down production. There was this other cereal that gained fame at the time I remember it going away. I was always a fan of Kix, yes, that Kix. I know I have incredibly boring choices, but it's great to mix up with natural peanut butter and compress the mixture into a pan. Slice it up later for cereal bars. It's what I do when I go on long road trips.

I hated Honey Smacks. Way too sweet, even though when everything then was sugar, fat and more sugar. Later as an adult, during my masters program a professor I had would snack on Honey Smacks throughout our lectures. He'd pour it from the box into a clean mug and take swigs of it in between speaking. He had surprisingly good teeth for how much sugar he consumed, although he was heavyset. Oh, and as you would presume, the lecture room smelled like roasted wheat kernels. Nasty.

I can't even think of any unhealthier cereal than Honey Smacks. The only cereal I do now apart from the Kix for a road trip are oatmeal and muesli. With the latter being dried apricots, fresh fruit, dried diced prunes and other naturally dried fruits and nuts. Keeps me full and helps get things moving.

I'd compare the smell of Honeysmacks or similar cereal being eaten to burning hair. They're one in the same to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: bradl

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
No thanks. No, I'm just surprised because I always thought they wound down production. There was this other cereal that gained fame at the time I remember it going away. I was always a fan of Kix, yes, that Kix. I know I have incredibly boring choices, but it's great to mix up with natural peanut butter and compress the mixture into a pan. Slice it up later for cereal bars. It's what I do when I go on long road trips.

I hated Honey Smacks. Way too sweet, even though when everything then was sugar, fat and more sugar. Later as an adult, during my masters program a professor I had would snack on Honey Smacks throughout our lectures. He'd pour it from the box into a clean mug and take swigs of it in between speaking. He had surprisingly good teeth for how much sugar he consumed, although he was heavyset. Oh, and as you would presume, the lecture room smelled like roasted wheat kernels. Nasty.

I can't even think of any unhealthier cereal than Honey Smacks. The only cereal I do now apart from the Kix for a road trip are oatmeal and muesli. With the latter being dried apricots, fresh fruit, dried diced prunes and other naturally dried fruits and nuts. Keeps me full and helps get things moving.

I'd compare the smell of Honeysmacks or similar cereal being eaten to burning hair. They're one in the same to me.
I almost fell asleep reading this post.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Avoiding cereal and having a real meal is one of the best things you can do. Kelloggs makes it even easier to avoid their brand with nonsense like this.

Reactions: citizenzen

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Avoiding cereal and having a real meal is one of the best things you can do. Kelloggs makes it even easier to avoid their brand with nonsense like this.
I completely agree. It’s probably been 20-30 years since I ate cereal for breakfast.