That didn't take long. Greta out at MSNBC

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"
    Greta Van Susteren is leaving MSNBC only six months after her show debuted on the cable news network.
    "I am out at MSNBC," she tweeted Thursday.

Her pithy social media announcement landed at virtually the same moment Vanity Fair reported the news.

"They let her go," her husband, John Coale, told CNNMoney. He said she'd found out earlier today, and added, "We're working out contract issues now."

In a memo to staffers, MSNBC President Phil Griffin said, "MSNBC and Greta Van Susteren have decided to part ways. Greta is a well-regarded television veteran and one of only a few broadcasters who can say they've hosted shows at all three major cable news networks. We are grateful to her and wish her the best."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/29/media/greta-van-susteren-msnbc-out/index.html

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

This is terrible news. You completely ruined my 4th of July weekend. :rolleyes:

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow. that's disappointing. I watched her almost every day. I sensed a problem as she has been desperately asking people to set their DVR's and get their friends to watch lately. But I would have thought they would have given her more time. I mean they built a special new studio for her, you think they would have stuck with it longer.

4. elistan macrumors 6502a

Huh.
    I honestly don't know who this person is.
    Is this something noteworthy?

5. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

For some maybe.

6. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

You don't know who Greta is?!? You were lucky until today.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like she did not have enough hatred towards this president as her co-workers.

9. darksithpro macrumors regular

IMO cable news is obsolete and is dying a slow death. There are a lot of social media stars sprouting up that are starting to get more viewers then the classic networks are getting.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

I would imagine she was hired (her persona is not new or would be a surprise) to balance things out. So not having enough "hatred" wouldn't be the reason.

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

She had too much baggage coming from Fox. Hell she was there for over a decade.
    MSNBC viewers simply didn't take to her. Wrong demographic.

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I guess it's now off the record with Greta Van Susteren.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Apparently you haven't listened to her lately. She's quite critical.

But I guess you've been too busy defending the p-grabbing, where-women-bleed-from President so it's understandable how you could have missed it. That's a pretty tough job and you definitely have your hands full.

14. zin macrumors 6502

Wow, she wasn't fake enough so they fired her.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No it's not. :rolleyes: Cable news will be around for a long long LONG time. Now we can debate whether that is good or bad, but either way, they aren't going anywhere.

16. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

What happened to "when they go low, we go high"?

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree. But on the same note, most of social media get their original content/story from cable news.

18. MadeTheSwitch, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So if Greta wasn't critical enough, they why in the heck did they just give a job to Hugh Hewitt who applogizes for him more than even people here?!!

It makes no sense.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Selectively believing anonymous sources now? I thought you weren't a fan.

20. zin macrumors 6502

Just posting for the benefit of all the forum users who always believe the anonymous sources. ;)

21. SusanK macrumors 68000

Not necessary to be a Trump supporter not to be a Greta fan. I accidentally happened up on her as she went on and on about the on the Women's March. She sounded foolish. Send her back to Fox or wherever she came from.

Good riddance.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well, I liked her. I always thought she was pretty good at being critical of both sides. Even when she was on Fox. Perhaps that's why I seem to be the only one here who seems to like her. Everyone else is in their partisan corners so they don't like bipartisan criticism.

23. SusanK macrumors 68000

Not a partisan corner. I was tuning into something else Jan 21 and there was Greta commenting on the Women's March. She was going on and on chastising the participants asking where were they on election day. She commented that HRC must feel very "ticked off". She just sounded foolish to me. I got the remote to hit any button and make her go away.

I've been very careful not to tune in for Hardball a minute early so I don't have to be bothered. Now I know the coast is clear.

Since you enjoyed her I'm sorry she will be off the air for now at least. Maybe she'll return elsewhere.

24. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Actually, it was very poor ratings.

I predict she will end up back at FOX.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Lots of people, including many on the left were saying the same thing, asking where all this energy was before. I think it's a valid question to be asking.