That iOS 11/iPhone X app card hold+swipe up didn’t age well

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by thadoggfather, Jun 7, 2018.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Lots of people defending the decision that was made, because Apple wants you to take a step back and validate what you want to kill from memory before actually doing so.. like you cant do both in one fell swoop of a swipe...

So much for that idea :D

That was an annoyance that was short sighted and fortunately, that was short lived. I did without it using a jailbreak tweak and it had been a blessing

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Apple might have very well had some particular intention behind it, but perhaps decided that it didn't work out as well as they had imagined. Something that happens here and there.

3. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

Worst decision ever and had me on the edge of returning the X. Its reversal is the main reason I'm running 12 as dd.

4. profets macrumors 601

Apple should have stuck with it. I really don't see why it should be so easy to force quit app.

Imagine if hitting the red circle on a Mac app just force quit it?

If users want a way to quickly clear apps, then maybe that ability to quickly swipe to dismiss apps from multitasking screen should exist, but it shouldn't force quit them. Maybe have force quitting buried deeper?

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I mean but you have
    To invoke the multitask switcher and swipe up, which is drastically different than swipe
    Horizontal to go between apps

I think it has sufficient user validation without it

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Pressing Command-Q on the keyboard is rather instant to quit an app on the Mac, for example. And pressing an "X" button in Windows has been quitting/closing apps for a long time.

7. profets macrumors 601

That's true. But is quitting an app the same as force quitting it? Genuinely unsure there.

8. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Int he case of iOS that line seems to be somewhat blurred.

9. DaveOP macrumors 65816

You close apps that often? For what purpose?

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

11. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

Habit. I go back to the main screen, open app switcher and swipe it away. It’s just my thaaang. Often I go back to the very same app a few seconds later. It’s kinda stupid. Usually rotate between insta, Twitter, iMessage, WhatsApp and repeat

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

To be fair it's actually worse for your device and use basically if it's done like that in that context.

13. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

It would help if they would add like a slight shadow or anything on active apps to see if they actually continue to run. Damn snapchat, WhatsApp for example seem to misuse it

14. deuxani macrumors 6502a

deuxani

I can say that I always used to close every app all the time, but since the iPhone X I only close apps like Facebook, Google Maps, etc (the apps that can sometimes suck up your battery in the background). So it actually did do the job for me :)