That mini heart attack when your iPhone 5s falls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poly, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Poly macrumors 6502

So i was walking down the wooden stairs in my house while i tried to put my 5S in its sleeve and put these things in my pocket. Sadly the 5S slided out of the sleeve and fell down from 1meter height onto the first stair, down on the second, the third and finally on my cotton covered floor.(note every stair is covered)
    So basically it took 2small and one big hit. Total height difference was about 1.5meters.
    I GOT A FREAKING MINI HEART ATTACK and my blood is still boiling lol....

plot twist: It's still in perfect shape! No scuffs or anything on my spacegrey 5S.

2. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

One of the reasons I purchased applecare+ for my 5S, peace of mind.

3. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Can't imagine a phone giving me a heart attack but I do have AppleCare+. Naked is the only way to go.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I have an Apple Leather Case, because you know, ***** happens

5. cynics macrumors G4

I like when you all of a sudden think you've become an expert soccer player and try to catch the phone with your foot.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Believe me or not, I saved my 3G once thanks to my soccer abilities :D
    It dropped versus the concrete floor and I just "kicked" it on the air before the impact, catching it with my hands before the second impact.
    I was veeeery lucky .... and smart :D

7. cynics macrumors G4

I did something similar once and I have NO soccer skills. No one was around to witness it unfortunately. Lol

8. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

hehe....i see some kind of sad experience here?

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Wow you could end up kicking your phone 3 meters away :D

10. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Trick is don't "kick" it but "catch" it. Just stop the fall speed.

Source: I've done it a lot. :|

I had a bad moment recently where I was feeding my dogs and the phone fell out of my pocket and hit the RIM of the metal food bowl. Without the case and screen protector it would have been toast. Definitely not regretting the purchase.

EDIT: Also, everyone talking about AppleCare might want to look at their new ToS. Because for phones purchased after September 30, 2013, it's $79+tax for any service.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I was running through a parking lot at my college (drunken stupor), and my 5 flew out of my pocket, launched in the air, and skidded across the pavement. Somehow, it didn't shatter. But it did look like it got tossed in a blender. That's when I decided it was time to upgrade to the 5S. Still got a decent amount for it on ebay. :)

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You are absolutely right about AppleCare +.
    I skipped on it because is ridicolous. 99€ to have a coverage that I have to pay another 79€ to use ....
    And keep in mind that here in Europe Apple is giving a two years warranty by law.
    No more convenient ....

----------

Was it without any cover ?

13. mcmul macrumors 6502

I imagine that is why Apple push the "covers two accidental damages" line when you ask about Apple Care in store. Frankly, the warranty is meaningless for that period here in Europe.

14. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

You're only charge if you cause the damage, i.e. drop it in water or crack the screen etc. Tell me where else you can get a replacement iPhone 5S for £55!

15. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

But it's not just 55 (or $79 here). There's also the annual fee.

Ask me whether I'd spring $30 on a case or $180+tax to replace it and it's kind of a no brainer. Plus if I use a case I can find one and make mine look a little different than the others.

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Differences are outlined here.

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Whether they're meaningful or not is for the individual to decide.

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Brother. It takes a real fan to treat an accident like a novel in slow motion.

Look at it this way, after your first bit scratch, you will feel so much better you don't have to obsess about it any longer.

18. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

In the UK, you pay £79 for AppleCare+ plus £55 excess fee to have a brand new replacement if the user causes the damage. So that means a total of £134 for a brand new iPhone will the simplicity of literally walking into an Apple store and walking out five minutes later with a brand new iPhone, no questions asked. Plus, you get a years extended warranty that will replace the phone free of charge to the user providing it is not their fault and also telephone support.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me!

19. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes i believe that too.
    But my epic stairs-action today did not end up scratching it :)

20. solo118 macrumors 65816

I fumbled mine for a good 3 seconds before it fell on the floor (on its back side)

Good thing it was in the case, but damn it felt like a mini heart attack coming!

21. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

And for a fraction of that price you can slap a case on it so when it falls it doesn't break at all. No need for going to the Apple store, no questions, no replacements, no restoring data, nothing.

I mean if that's an acceptable expenditure, go for it. Me? No thanks.

22. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I like the look of my iPhone, therefore, I only have a thin clear case on it. And a lot of the time, even cases (other than the life proof ones etc) don't stop accidents happening.

I've never damaged my iPhones in the 4 years I've owned them, but I know if I do, I'm covered. I just started off by saying that's why I have AppleCare, I get if people don't want it though. Personal choice.

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That is why you buy a nice case for it. Magpul does some really neat stuff, given them a look?

24. tacotester1 macrumors member

I always drop my phone
    and feel that feeling everytime:(

25. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

So you've spent $400 on AppleCare so far. Which means if, in another year, you drop your phone and break it, you'll have spent a total of $580.

I get it, I do. I just think it's... kind of scammy. Like Best Buy protection.