That was a very good Republican Debate

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Great to see them tone down the personal attacks and talk about REAL issues and REAL solutions.

The moderators had their issues but the candidates and audience seen right through it.

There are some real potential candidates and I look forward to the elections.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Nobody really wins a debate but you do get to see many points of view. With that said, there are many candidates that showed a lot of promise tonight.

Reactions: Meister

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Nobody really wins a debate but you do get to see many points of view. With that said, there are many candidates that showed a lot of promise tonight.
I get that. But I can't remember a debate where no one was judged to have come out well. That's really what I was asking.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Once again, that is why this one was that good because all of the candidates have a firm grasp.

Reactions: pdqgp

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
I honestly don't recall in recent years watching a debate where the moderators attempted every gotcha they could think up. I'm an independent voter, but whoever at the GOP agreed to a debate moderated on CNBC should be fired.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
The best part about the debate, for me, is that Christie had little opportunity to talk. As a former NJ resident, I downright loathe him. He may have had a valid point about the fantasy football question, but his comments about supporting the police was complete pandering.

The funniest part of the debate was when the one and only question about marijuana reform was aimed at Gov. Kasich. When he said marijuana was a scourge that needed to be eradicated I nearly soiled myself. Luckily his poll numbers will pretty much ensure that that brand of reefer madness Prohibitionist thinking doesn't make it into the primaries.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
... The funniest part of the debate was when the one and only question about marijuana reform was aimed at Gov. Kasich. When he said marijuana was a scourge that needed to be eradicated I nearly soiled myself. ...
Damn. He was the Republican candidate that I liked the most out of that bunch.

A scourge that needs to be eradicated? :rolleyes: Please.

Reactions: satcomer

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
No game citizenzen, I just didn't think people who did not watch the debate would want to be involved in the discussion.

To touch on some points that I found particularly interesting. Fantasy Football, just kidding!

Social Security and Medicare. A strong recognition that this issue has to be addressed this term with solutions that are fiscally responsible to americans, not just get out your wallet and we will take care of you. There will be some punches to absorb but I liked the ideas I heard because I know they are long term solutions. Ideas like increased age limits, HSA and more emphasis to correct health issues before they become a Medicare/Medicaid burden.

A new Tax System. That a new tax system must be addressed, recognizing that while their ideas do not fully address the amount of money we need to run this country, the real issue is that we overspend and are not accountable for what we spend. Bring back accountability and negotiation to get level.

Government reduction and placing power back into states hands as every state is unique with their own set of problems and varied solutions to address several issues including but not limited to current and future college loans.

I could go on and on but I liked the forum if you will. Real issues being discussed, finger pointing or blaming the other party or candidate was kept at a minimum by the candidates, not the moderators. They represented themselves well and know that we have some serious issues and they want to correct them, not just get a vote.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Social Security and Medicare. A strong recognition that this issue has to be addressed this term with solutions that are fiscally responsible to americans, not just get out your wallet and we will take care of you. There will be some punches to absorb but I liked the ideas I heard because I know they are long term solutions. Ideas like increased age limits, HSA and more emphasis to correct health issues before they become a Medicare/Medicaid burden.
I'm fine with adjusting those programs as necessary in order to sustain them. Adjustments aren't the issue. Commitment has been the issue. So long as the candidates are committed to making them work, then adjust as necessary. That said, one form of adjustment will sometimes have to involve getting out the wallet. One can only adjust the age limit so far.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
The best part about the debate, for me, is that Christie had little opportunity to talk. As a former NJ resident, I downright loathe him. He may have had a valid point about the fantasy football question, but his comments about supporting the police was complete pandering.

The funniest part of the debate was when the one and only question about marijuana reform was aimed at Gov. Kasich. When he said marijuana was a scourge that needed to be eradicated I nearly soiled myself. Luckily his poll numbers will pretty much ensure that that brand of reefer madness Prohibitionist thinking doesn't make it into the primaries.
As your former neighbor, I can't tell you enough how I hate NJ....except for the beaches....it's in-bred in Pa'ers you know. I am not much of a Christie fan but I have to admit, he was good tonight and I would expect his poll numbers to increase because of this debate.

I am not a Kasich fan and to be honest, for no particular reason. What he says about what he has done for his state sounds intriguing and promising but he just doesn't strike me as a leader. That could also be said for a few other candidates there tonight as well though.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
I would guess that the "winners" would be judged to be Rubio, Fiorina, Christie and Cruz.
Highly individual opinion I guess. Trump was Trump and Carson was Carson. Actually Trump was not Trump now that I say that, he was much smoother and did not attack like he usually does.

I believe that both Christie and Cruz will see increased poll numbers because of tonight. Rubio just seems like he needs more experience yet, too soon for a Presidential bid. Fiorina doesn't grab me. I like her simplistic approach but you just can't take that job that simple. Huckabee, nice guy, really nice guy but I don't know about President. Paul, out of his league. Did I miss anyone? LOL, I mentioned Kasich in a prior post. Oh Bush, not a Bush guy either. Much like Kasich to me which I mentioned in the other post.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 68040
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
a firm grasp of what? their egos?
And Hillary Clinton doesn't have an ego?

Actually a Kasich-Rubio ticket would give Hillary fits especially in must win states like Ohio and Florida. Now I'm not sure if a mainstream combination like that will ever take shape, but if the GOP wants the White House back that is the team I would run.