That was a very good Republican Debate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacAndMic, Oct 28, 2015.

1. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Great to see them tone down the personal attacks and talk about REAL issues and REAL solutions.

The moderators had their issues but the candidates and audience seen right through it.

There are some real potential candidates and I look forward to the elections.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

:eek: Oh. Totally missed the debate.

Who won this one?

3. MacAndMic thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody really wins a debate but you do get to see many points of view. With that said, there are many candidates that showed a lot of promise tonight.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I get that. But I can't remember a debate where no one was judged to have come out well. That's really what I was asking.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

did they really show different points of view? that would be something.

6. MacAndMic thread starter macrumors 6502

Once again, that is why this one was that good because all of the candidates have a firm grasp.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I honestly don't recall in recent years watching a debate where the moderators attempted every gotcha they could think up. I'm an independent voter, but whoever at the GOP agreed to a debate moderated on CNBC should be fired.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

a firm grasp of what? their egos?

9. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Okay. They all did equally well then. Did any of the candidates say anything of particular interest?

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Rubio was on the ropes a lot but did extremely well and even got in a few shots at the moderators. Cruz absolutely berated them and rightfully so. The moderators behavior was embarrassing.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The Daily Show writers

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Considering that Rubio brought up Benghazi again, and called Clinton a liar. despite the fact that 8 previous investigations haven't proven such, and the 9th isn't looking good...

...hell, that's slander ain't it?

Can't they just move on from it?

14. MacAndMic thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes

15. MacAndMic thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd suggest you watch it, or maybe you can watch a wrap up on CNN to give you the point of view you seek.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Why did you even start a thread if you're going to play this little game?

I would have thought you were signaling a desire to discuss the subject.

I can't remember the last time the OP was so reluctant to engage in the conversation.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I think I would rather have teeth pulled or read memes on here.

18. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

The best part about the debate, for me, is that Christie had little opportunity to talk. As a former NJ resident, I downright loathe him. He may have had a valid point about the fantasy football question, but his comments about supporting the police was complete pandering.

The funniest part of the debate was when the one and only question about marijuana reform was aimed at Gov. Kasich. When he said marijuana was a scourge that needed to be eradicated I nearly soiled myself. Luckily his poll numbers will pretty much ensure that that brand of reefer madness Prohibitionist thinking doesn't make it into the primaries.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Damn. He was the Republican candidate that I liked the most out of that bunch.

A scourge that needs to be eradicated? :rolleyes: Please.

20. MacAndMic thread starter macrumors 6502

No game citizenzen, I just didn't think people who did not watch the debate would want to be involved in the discussion.

To touch on some points that I found particularly interesting. Fantasy Football, just kidding!

Social Security and Medicare. A strong recognition that this issue has to be addressed this term with solutions that are fiscally responsible to americans, not just get out your wallet and we will take care of you. There will be some punches to absorb but I liked the ideas I heard because I know they are long term solutions. Ideas like increased age limits, HSA and more emphasis to correct health issues before they become a Medicare/Medicaid burden.

A new Tax System. That a new tax system must be addressed, recognizing that while their ideas do not fully address the amount of money we need to run this country, the real issue is that we overspend and are not accountable for what we spend. Bring back accountability and negotiation to get level.

Government reduction and placing power back into states hands as every state is unique with their own set of problems and varied solutions to address several issues including but not limited to current and future college loans.

I could go on and on but I liked the forum if you will. Real issues being discussed, finger pointing or blaming the other party or candidate was kept at a minimum by the candidates, not the moderators. They represented themselves well and know that we have some serious issues and they want to correct them, not just get a vote.

21. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I would guess that the "winners" would be judged to be Rubio, Fiorina, Christie and Cruz.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm fine with adjusting those programs as necessary in order to sustain them. Adjustments aren't the issue. Commitment has been the issue. So long as the candidates are committed to making them work, then adjust as necessary. That said, one form of adjustment will sometimes have to involve getting out the wallet. One can only adjust the age limit so far.

23. MacAndMic thread starter macrumors 6502

As your former neighbor, I can't tell you enough how I hate NJ....except for the beaches....it's in-bred in Pa'ers you know. I am not much of a Christie fan but I have to admit, he was good tonight and I would expect his poll numbers to increase because of this debate.

I am not a Kasich fan and to be honest, for no particular reason. What he says about what he has done for his state sounds intriguing and promising but he just doesn't strike me as a leader. That could also be said for a few other candidates there tonight as well though.

24. MacAndMic thread starter macrumors 6502

Highly individual opinion I guess. Trump was Trump and Carson was Carson. Actually Trump was not Trump now that I say that, he was much smoother and did not attack like he usually does.

I believe that both Christie and Cruz will see increased poll numbers because of tonight. Rubio just seems like he needs more experience yet, too soon for a Presidential bid. Fiorina doesn't grab me. I like her simplistic approach but you just can't take that job that simple. Huckabee, nice guy, really nice guy but I don't know about President. Paul, out of his league. Did I miss anyone? LOL, I mentioned Kasich in a prior post. Oh Bush, not a Bush guy either. Much like Kasich to me which I mentioned in the other post.

25. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

And Hillary Clinton doesn't have an ego?

Actually a Kasich-Rubio ticket would give Hillary fits especially in must win states like Ohio and Florida. Now I'm not sure if a mainstream combination like that will ever take shape, but if the GOP wants the White House back that is the team I would run.