That's it... I'm cancelling my 2016 15" MBP Order. This was the last straw.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by el-John-o, Oct 30, 2016.

1. el-John-o macrumors 65816

https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/30/new-...-do-automatically-boot-when-you-open-the-lid/

First they came for the cool intro videos that were like the "new car smell" for Macintosh's. You know, starting with OS 8 I think. That giddy feeling of starting up a brand new Mac and getting some awesome new intro video. The later variants ending with Snow Leopard were so cool! But I said nothing.

Then they came for the glowing Apple Logo. And I said nothing.

But now THIS!? No startup chime? Look, there are some things Apple never changes. The box a 2016 MacBook Pro comes in looks just like the white box with logo and image of product on the side an Apple IIGS came in. The startup chime is literally as old as the Macintosh itself!

Okay, I'm not really cancelling my order or that upset. But I am more bothered by this than I thought I'd be. I'm all for progress but; some things are just nostalgic, you know?

2. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502

Jmausmuc

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Cancel that order! [​IMG]

4. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Agreed. There is a nostalgic comfort in this. The glowing Apple logo and the distinctive chord chime that sounds when the Mac is started have been nice. The article link you provided explains why they decided to do away with the chime. Makes sense I guess.

5. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

I remember many eons ago in the PowerPC Era. I had two side by side systems with identically sized CRT monitors (I didn't use any sort of KVM or anything; because the PCA was VGA and the Mac used Apples proprietary monitor connection). It was a G3 PowerMac and a similarly specced PC.

I remember just how much more refined that Mac was in every way, the user interface in OS9 vs. Windows 98 and later Windows 2000, but one of the big differences was bootup. I'd reach down and press that power button on the windows PC and hear grinding, beeping, clicking, lots and lots of 'noise'. Then lots of characters would display on the screen, it would do it's self test, then finally I'd be greeted to the Windows 98 boot screen. On the mac? I tap a key on the keyboard, a soft grey screen appears immediately, and the familiar "chime" greets me.

Today, the gap has admittedly closed a bit. Mac's are no longer far and away better than some of the best windows PC's. But that startup chime really shaped how I felt about Mac's for a long time! I probably won't miss it on the new MacBook Pro. I very rarely actually cold boot my macs anyway. But, nevertheless; goodbye to another component of yesteryear :)

6. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

7. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

10 ways the MacBook startup chime has changed for 2016. You wont' BELIEVE number 6.

(Better?)

8. Altis macrumors 68020

You should be able to disable the startup chime at the very least.

It's terrible to have it go off loudly when you're in a quiet environment or meeting because you forgot to mute the volume before shutting it down. And now you can't hold the mute button while turning it on, so it's just as well if it's disabled.

9. Macalway macrumors 68020

I think it might be a software update. My 2013 no longer goes BOINGGG. Thank God

However, it did indicate when to press startup keys, not that that's necessary, and even may interfere with startup timing.

10. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

I think it's safe to say that they'll be a way to add it back in via a terminal command...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh well, one less order mean I might get mine a little sooner ;)

11. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

"It’s the end of an era for the Mac boot chime but there is a good justification for its removal and the new automatic boot feature eliminates the need to press the power button at all for many people"

REVOLUTIONARY. I am ordering one immediately. I am so tired of pressing the power button!!! /s

12. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Always hated the startup chime, disabled it. Stupidest thing ever opening your laptop and it making a chime - sometimes loud if you left your volume turned up.

13. tjleonard macrumors 6502a

I just read that article and wanted to cancel my preorder too...Some things you shouldn't take away - and that's too far!

14. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

15. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

I feel that way about half the posts I read these days!

16. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I consider this to be a long overdue feature that I'm thankful for. No more waking my wife up or disturbing others that are sitting next to me on a flight!

17. Allard macrumors member

You've hit the nail right on the head. It's the little things like that that matter as much as the big things. There's way less personality to Apple's products now. The delights of shine and gloss are far more fleeting than a beautiful backlight and fun sounds. Taken as a whole, they contribute to the Apple experience more than people think.

18. FatherJack1980 macrumors regular

FatherJack1980

And don't forget: And number 9 will SHOCK you!

;););)

19. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

No start up chime????!!!!!
    Now THAT is something. I'm buying one.

I've always hated that chime when I'm starting up in a quiet environment.

20. tjleonard macrumors 6502a

Out of curiosity, does anyone even turn their Mac off to where you would hear the chime?

21. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

My 2015 rMBP with Sierra freezes every night, so I have to turn it off and back on. It's a feature, to make me appreciate the beautiful chime. Or to force me to buy a 2016 to stop appreciating the beautiful chime.

22. sleim031 macrumors member

sleim031

23. tjleonard macrumors 6502a

Might want to get that looked at...I have to reboot usually every 60 days or so. Usually due to updates.

24. Zenithal Suspended

To be fair, Windows had intro videos too but dumped them for guided tours. Granted, the OSX tours are better. I can understand why people are upset. People were wrought with hate when MS abolished Clippy from Word starting with the 2007 version. I can't imagine why though. It was annoying.

If it's freezing like he says it is, it may be hardware on the blink, no? Or does that still result in kernel panic?

25. tjleonard macrumors 6502a

I'd start by looking at hardware since the diagnostic is usually pretty easy. It also could just be a corrupt install of Sierra, but at either rate, it's far from normal! It would drive me crazy if mine froze up frequently, or even at all.