That's so gay (except, erm, that it isn't)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Apr 17, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://warner.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/who-are-you-calling-gay/

Along with the resurgence of skinny jeans, popped colors, bright colors, and high tops, using the word "gay" as an all-purpose pejorative, the very "smurf" of insult words, is back. We deal with it a lot here at MacRumors for that matter. This blog offers some interesting anecdotes and thoughts about sexual identity bullying, and how it can hurt heterosexuals.

Nothing earth-shattering, but I think perhaps sobering.

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

In middle school I was subjected to similar bullying. Of course it didn't lead me to suicide, but it did lead to me fondly remembering middle school as the worst two years of my life.

This, along with other experiences, has always led me to confront those who use "gay" as an catch-all insult.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've lived with it all my life. And I attempted suicide once myself. "Gay" is the worst thing you can be in this society. It's worse than being a murderer. When I read s*** like this I get nauseous.

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Worse than murderers are pedophiles, and I've seen attitudes that make them very clearly equal in some people's minds (can't have gay teachers after all). The ignorance is incredibly disheartening.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

No it is not — definitely not in the society where I, my partner and thousands of other gay men and women live.

If that is how you are treated where you live then get out of there…

I can say though I have experienced my ups and downs in life, I have never been treated "worse than being a murderer". Perhaps a move to a civilised city or country would do you good?

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm sorry to hear that lee :(

I too get excessively pissed off when people use it around me. I almost always question their reasoning, but alas, there is no beating the 17 year old "Im so awesome what you say doesnt matter at all" mentality out of some people. There have been ads against this very label recently around here.

My generations response: "Those commercials are so gay" :rolleyes:

The sad truth of the matter is that kids are just plain mean to each other at these ages, if its not one label its another. Its just sad that people can taunt others with no regard of how much of an impact it can really have on that person. I may be more aware of the power of emotion simply because I dealt with a deep bout of depression this fall. Since then I've taken emotional abuse towards other very seriously. As truly awful as that experience, still somewhat ongoing, was I'm truly glad I gained a new perspective of the effect we can all have on others.

7. Ant1-Hero macrumors regular

Ant1-Hero

Come on people, kids get tormented, thats a fact. If they don't call them one thing, they will say another. That child had the opportunity to report it to someone. It falls into the whole video games make kids shoot other kids, its a weak attempt to find blame.

I was picked on, all it did was make me stronger, so when someone insults me I don't take it to heart, hit them with a snappy comeback. In this world the strong survive.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I don't believe it ever left.

Junior High and High School can be brutal for teasing and general mind-fux. It probably will never change. Also the word "gay" as it is used in junior high probably has little to do with homosexuality anymore, I believe something that is "gay" is just stupid or lame.

Teachers and administrators probably had no idea. I wonder if the parents noticed any signifiers in their son as suicidal.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- it's all the kid's fault. I mean, he should have killed himself, right? :rolleyes:

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So you think its justified that these people died? They weren't "tough enough" for you?

That reasoning is sick in the worst way.

11. Ant1-Hero macrumors regular

Ant1-Hero

no, i mean he should have stuck up for himself, or told someone, suicide is a cowards way out. This world is rough and if a mans going to make it he's got to be tough.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You don't live in the US. I live in one of the most cosmopolitian cities in the country too.

My point is this- in this culture, there is nothing you can call someone that is more insulting than "gay".

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I stand by what I said. In other words, the kid did the right thing.

He was a KID for god's sake! WTF is wrong with you?

14. Ant1-Hero macrumors regular

Ant1-Hero

15. bartelby macrumors Core

That comment alone show you know nothing...
    :mad:

16. Ant1-Hero macrumors regular

Ant1-Hero

know nothing about what, i was beat up and in fights all the time, for being called gay and everything else, These emo kids need to grow a pair

17. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Wow, you do actually blame the kid don't you?

What do you think the could would have done if you belittled him for not standing up for himself? I'm sure that'd change his whole perspective.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sickening, the kid is full of hormones and self pity just being a teenager. I can't defend those who commit suicide, but I fully understand that some people hit points so low that they truly beleive it is the only way out. I've experienced what its like to truly feel like there is no hope (thought I NEVER considered suicide), its something you can't even comprehend until you hit that point.

It's truly scary what depression can make you feel, it was easily the most terrifying experience of my life.

You REALLY need to keep in mind the emotional state of kids when talking about these things.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course he does. :mad:

20. Ant1-Hero macrumors regular

Ant1-Hero

you really blame video games don't you

21. Ant1-Hero macrumors regular

Ant1-Hero

people won't give you help unless you ask for it. Its no ones fault, its life. Animals torment other animals. Brothers pick on sisters.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Video games aren't even a part of this discussion. You've been reported.

23. Ant1-Hero macrumors regular

Ant1-Hero

reported for having an opinion? i forgot this is a fascist website and i have to obey what the flock does, free think i guess is illegal where you are from

24. waiwai macrumors regular

that's unfortunate... its sad to always see and hear about this kind of thing... targeting people who are "different" and pushing them that far. but at the same time, suicide is never an answer. Suicide is for weaksauces. Ya we all been there... Some jerk offs think they are almighty and decides to make your life miserable. come on, everyone's gone thru it but you dont see them ending their own lives. suicide is for the weaksauces.

i dont feel any sympathy for people who end their own lives regardless of the circumstances. But bashing people who are different... is just plain wrong.

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sorry, why did you report him? because he has a different opinion?

im reading this thread and only see he has a different viewpoint than you and you reported him so im confused