That's What I Call a Cathouse

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, May 21, 2019.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

An article reported that animal control officers discovered a home near Detroit with 178 cats.

The cats were malnourished and many had injuries. Sixty of the cats had to be euthanized.

The owners didn't live at this location and would periodically drop off cats.

The floor of the house was sagging from the pile of cat waste.

The owners could get up to four years for animal cruelty but who thinks that they will even get that ?

Does there need to be more of a punishment for animal cruelty like this and what should it be ?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Plutonius, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019

Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

It sounds like they should just level the house now. It would be less effort and cost then to clean the house after the cats were removed / saved.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

... just when you thought property values on homes in Detroit couldn't go any lower...

5. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I love cats and this makes me sad. Animal cruelty is and should be a crime.

But before you throw the book at the people in this story, you might want to learn about the causes of animal hoarding:

https://adaa.org/understanding-anxi...-disorder-ocd/hoarding-basics/animal-hoarding

In a nutshell, animal hoarders are mentally ill. They quite literally believe that they are saving and helping animals. Wires are getting crossed in the brain somewhere. This tendency increases massively with age and/or with mental trauma like loss of a loved one. This is why it's so often the elderly doing it.

For a first time offence, I don't think locking them up for years in jail is appropriate. Keep in mind that their heart is in the right place but their mental state is confused. I think education, mental evaluation, and guidance/intervention from family and friends is appropriate. Community service helping at the shelter and/or a fine to help take care of the animals seems more likely to have positive outcomes for both the people and the cats involved.

Also I'd bet these people are infected with T. gondii, a microbe found in cat feces which alters human behavior in frightening ways. Pertinent to this story, it can change a person's behavior towards cats:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/03/how-your-cat-is-making-you-crazy/308873/

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

This.