The “Deniable Darwin”.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JagdTiger, Aug 3, 2019.

1. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

2. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

I watched the first and last 5 min and scanned the rest.

Gobbledygook.

This author has little knowledge of genetic and evolutionary theory...or biology for that matter. It sounds plausible but when someone says that they can't understand something so it must be supernatural then that's where I get off. If there is a watch maker, who made the watch maker?

3. JagdTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

It could be Darwin’s theory is just a thesis.

4. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

It's the framework of modern biology. It's not a theory anymore. It's a principle.

5. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

It’s more likely, based on the ridiculous and anti-science sites you repeatedly site, that you have no idea what you’re talking about.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7. JagdTiger, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019

JagdTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

--- Post Merged, Aug 3, 2019 ---
    Yes and that's why critical thinking of a outdated theory such as Darwin's should be analyisd with more scrutiny than it is as of now.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

or perhaps you should be more honest with the impetus of your argument.

9. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Same story, different guests. I'm not going to waste an hour on this one. Philosophers and computer scientists? How about a biologist in the mix? These people seem to think that evolution theory stopped with Darwin. Theoretical Physics didn't stop with Einstein. If you have a better theory of how life began than through chemistry and evolution I'd like a pointer. I don't mean to challenge your beliefs but I won't stand for challenging science.

10. JagdTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

How about intelligent design or creation?

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

For what?

12. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Mythology is not science.

13. JagdTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

Yes and Darwinism may be pure science fiction.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

15. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Only for the ignorant
    --- Post Merged, Aug 3, 2019 ---

And where is the scientific backing???

16. hawkeye_a, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

I watched/listened to the interviews a couple of weeks ago and was particularity intrigued when Berlinski made the (correct imho) observation that Darwin’s theory explains the “delta differences”, the evolution(a different sized beak or more/less fur etc), but fails to explain the “origin” of a new species....
    When does a new species begin? No one has ever observed a new species emerge. (correction) So Darwin’s “Origin of Species” is a misnomer or just incomplete. So what then? (That was a shakeup of my understanding of Darwinism)

It’s interesting and refreshing to see scientists and philosophers raise questions, that push against the orthodoxy of “settled science”(an oxymoron if there ever was one). Or in other words, being “real” scientists.

Their observations, premises and analysis seem “sound”, however i feel they fell short of proving “intelligent design”. Ill admit im skeptical of that theory but not *against* the possibility.

Another big takeaway from the interviews is the very real observation that those who fancy themselves scientists have grown more arrogant, overconfident and “set in their ways” in recent times. One need not look any further than some of the replies in this thread for proof. Shame that.

FWIW, i think Darwin was correct in his observations, but incomplete. He expanded the understanding for his time which is a significant contribution in itself.

I was going to start a thread on those interviews. Very thought provoking indeed; more so that the usual boring threads about the he-said/she-said of contemporary politics. IMHO

17. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

[​IMG]

18. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Change the beak 100 times, same for the fur and other things and you end up with a new species.

Take "human made evolution", is a poodle still the same species as the wolf we've taken in 10000 years ago? When did the split happen? How do you pin point it?

Design? Maybe
    Intelligent? Threads like this are strong counter arguments
    Creation? Where can I file my lawsuit!

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

But you are happy to believe in the unproven and fiction as you believe in god. Darwin’s findings are an accepted scientific principle which have more background findings than the events in your bible. Those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

20. JagdTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

It’s a ancient theory which modern scientists need or evolution decays.

21. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

OK, then where did the designer or creator come from?

Scientists (Cosmologists, Physicists, and Biologists) are looking for origins. Of the Universe, and ourselves. We think we have a framework for how things began (The Big Bang, what happened before that is still a mystery) and how life developed from root molecules that form spontaneously via a demonstrable chemical process. We don't have all the answers but we think we're on the right track and we're getting there.

I sincerely recommend the old Cosmos series with Carl Sagan. It's on Netflix. He really explains the material in a non-confrontational way.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 4, 2019 ---

Scientists are just people and may have arrogance about their work but any good scientist will take the correction of a better theory. But these vids seem to be saying that creation is all too complex to have happened on its own so there must be a "creator". That's not how it works. If there was a "creator" then we need some proof of that. And you can't stop there. Where did the creator come from?

22. JagdTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They have observed that happening - https://www.sciencealert.com/darwin...pecies-in-real-time-two-generations-galapagos

Of course all the science will never prove that god doesn’t tinker too.

24. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Where did the void come from? ;)

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If the creator is there, it isn’t a void.