Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Well, my Unreal Tournament demo 2004 doesn't load any more. I wanted to try the updated graphics drivers to see if there was any difference in performance but it bounces, splash screen comes up for a few seconds, and then it quits without a message. I haven't played it for a little while, but it definitely worked in 10.3.5 and I don't think it's time-limited. This is on a 12" PowerBook.

Everything else seems fine though, and, yes, everything seems faster ;)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Safari is broken now. I had a developer beta of Safari installed previously.. maybe thats why. The program will launch, and i'll be able to access the menu bar, but no window will open. I'm trying to fix it now.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I downloaded Safari from Apple's site.. but it's an old version... so now it looks like I'm stuck with this old version.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Chaszmyr said:
I downloaded Safari from Apple's site.. but it's an old version... so now it looks like I'm stuck with this old version.
Try the update to 10.3.6 again, or else you'll have to reinstall Panther and combo update to 10.3.6 :eek:

clr900

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
Installing right now. I'm hoping to see some improvement to this Nvidia.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
Ok I was download it to my PB while i was playing a game on my G5. Then I looked over at my PB and the screen was on but did nothing. I shut it down and booted back up. I can't open System prefs and none of my icons in my top bar are there. Please help

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
robotrenegade said:
Ok I was download it to my PB while i was playing a game on my G5. Then I looked over at my PB and the screen was on but did nothing. I shut it down and booted back up. I can't open System prefs and none of my icons in my top bar are there. Please help

This happened on my Powermac after a security update once. Perform a cold shutdown on the system and reboot. It worked for me...

buzzfgo

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2004
Up State NY
I installed it and now my quicksilver will not boot at all. It turns on but the screen stays blank. No nothing. I put in a back up HD and it booted fine. Now what the heck am I going to do?

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
No problems here

I applied it to two PowerBook G4s, a Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5, and a 1 GHz PowerMac G4. On one of the PowerBooks and my G4 PowerMac I got a kernel panic towards the end. (The PowerBook was completed, and just waiting to reboot. The PowerMac was on a KVM switch, so I don't know when the kernel panic occurred) I reapplied the update to the PowerMac G4, and all seems to be well.

Regards,
Marc

buzzfgo

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2004
Up State NY
Crazy?

Well, I was going crazy trying to find out why my mac would not start. I would hear the bong and then nothing. My studio display was black. Then I had an idea, I hit the volume key in the keyboard... what do you think I heard. Yep, my computer was running the monitor was not. I have a 9800 video card. So I put my old geforce card in and wammo it fired right up. The update fried my video card. I tried another hard drive I use as a back up and it has the older ver of panther on it 10.3.5. Still no go on the monitor. I put the old video card back in and it works. Some how it fried it.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
robotrenegade said:
Cold shutdown?

rather than going throught the menu to shut down, press and hold the powerbutton until the computer shuts off, and then press it again to start back up obviously...

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
PlaceofDis said:
rather than going throught the menu to shut down, press and hold the powerbutton until the computer shuts off, and then press it again to start back up obviously...
which is not really suggested...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
toughboy said:
which is not really suggested...

ive done it plenty of times on my pb with no problems, its not the best solution, but sometimes the only way to get a hanging computer to restart....

Zim Bargo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
London
So, I've just downloaded 3.6 and now my .mac mail account is coming up with nothing. Go online, no worries - everything still there. but on my machine - nothing.

now, go to itunes - track numbers and all kinds of things giving really odd (and wrong) feedback

First time I've had this with an update, is this update just wrong or is something wierd going on?

Haven't ever installed any dodgy sh*t either!

Zim Bargo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
London
Ok, tried repairing disk permissions - no joy. My email is still up the spout. And yet I got the 'ping' when the site emailed to day you had replied - couldn't see anything, but figured it out

asmiller

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2004
Powerbook won't complete startup after 10.3.6

UPdating a 1.25ghz AiBook through the Update Software panel has left me with a machine that will not complete boot process. Stops part way through with a big black rectangle and lots of messages in foreign languages saying it needs to be restarted. This after many restarts that had no effect. Booted from a CD and ran Disk Utility to repair disk and repair permissions also had no effect. Tried running the combo updater, with same results.

Apple will be my first phone call tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.