The 12 MacBook 2015… Love-hate affair

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by micqo, Oct 4, 2015.

1. micqo, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015

micqo macrumors member

The new 12" MacBook retina is beautiful Apple product BUT I have love-hate affair with it! Why? Because I have owned twelve MacBook since April this day. The latest one is 3 weeks old. I'm very disappointed to see how this premium product keeps lot of issues. Keyboard fails, hinge issues etc…otherwise Mac is awesome product. Screen - love it! The size, keyboard - I like it a lot (when all keyboards working) etc.

My last Mac (and few others ) made sound like this video link below. Now my newest one start cracking too. :( I'm so tired to return Mac - almost 5 month without Mac was looong time without computer so now I'm not sure what to do…is so frustrating owns such a fabulous product and at the same time say what kind of scrap it is…

Have you noticed these cracking/clicking problems with your new Mac? I'm curious to hear.

There is still hope to be Apple fan, but it is put to the test :apple:

2. Xeyad macrumors 6502

I have owned my new Macbook for about 3 weeks now. At first, I did not have any problems at all. But now, I hear a slight creak when adjusting the screen. It's very faint, but I can hear it and quite annoying for a machine that's supposed to be completely silent. However, I will not replace mine fearing I receive a worse unit and go through this loop as you've had.

However, I feel like the hinge on my Macbook is a bit looser than the MBP I have too. Have you experienced a loose hinge?

I'm still in love with the machine though. Best portable laptop out there.

3. micqo thread starter macrumors member

Well, these twelve Mac I owned. I noticed some hinges was loose and some was thigter so there are some differences.

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

As ever with Apple, most of the issues will be resolved with v2.0 of the product. Perhaps they might even add another USB-C port...

5. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

So true. I am holding myself from buying a first generation rMB due to this Apple propensity.

6. micqo thread starter macrumors member

Yeah! Usually most of the issues has resolved on next generation products. This is the first time on my Apple history, which starts 2004 - and I have owned lot of Mac's - never owned cracking or clicking Mac or machine where keyboard failing. Luckily, otherwise this Mac is OK, so I decided to keep this if it not start cracking too much like my last (video) Mac did. Hard to say is the cracking/clicking issue on the hinge or the bottom case or both, it looks like it's both…Maybe I should buy Penelope screwdriver and try to tight bottom screws…

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

8. micqo thread starter macrumors member

Yep :D

I have seen the production on "day one" April to this day. This Mac came about 3 weeks ago.

9. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

I returned my rMB because they could not repair the loud clicking noise when the laptop moves side-to-side. The repair was attempted twice, with the same failing results. I was also not happy with the battery losing it’s charge capacity. Those reasons are why I am going to wait for the next iteration.

10. Tummy macrumors regular

Mine is perfect. If you've gone through 12, I think its a problem with you, not a Macbook problem.

11. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

Not necessarily. Maybe the the things that the OP is concerned about do not bother you. The OP may just have to accept the fact that the things that bother him will not go away in this production run and he will have to wait until the next iteration.

12. Tummy macrumors regular

Exactly. Maybe the OP is not able to accept the product as designed. I'm surprised whatever store the OP is buying from would take 12 returns in a row.

13. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

Yes, at a certain point you have to accept what “is” and move on and wait for the second version of the rMB.

14. micqo thread starter macrumors member

Well, I have accept and I'm try move on waiting next version and hoping all issues has fixed then. My opinion I am entitled to return/change the machine if Apple says its DOA. Keyboard issues - dead keyboards (9, H, Spacebar, Esc, Enter), usb-c port issues, hinge issues, motherboard issues etc. a big pile of trouble I have experienced with this product. :(

15. MH01, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015

MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Every Apple product has issues , I find it depends on how much the user expects to have a perfect product.

If you are saying you have returned 12 of these laptops, its not for you, I'm on my first one, and my only issue is the battery life. I can come up with more issues if I wanted. Clicking issue? does it matter, the laptop is suppose to be on a surface when used, this is similar to people complain about loose power buttons on a iPhone 5S, these I do not consider issues that warrant a return.

Yes my clicks etc, I got applecare, if it has problems down the line, it will get fixed.

You know that some of you issues might very well be software?

I just cannot understand how you can go through 12. I think your expectations are too high, maybe?

I suspect yours in the same as the OPs last 12.... (maybe he had one bad one), he i looking for issues, and trying to get a "perfect one" . This is why Apple prices are so high ;) cause some people return so many devices lol

16. micqo thread starter macrumors member

I'm very unhappy to see that this discussion is going the wrong direction now - it feels like I'm the bad guy here… Idea was hear and solve does anybody have similar issues or I'm the only one in the world. I know there is similar issues but the current trend seems to be that nobody likes to say out loud if they own "defective" Apple product, and of course there is also people who do not care.

I am just disappointed that I have to own premium Apple product which creaking/cracking etc. This is the first time in my Apple history (which started 2004) own Mac like this, and I have owned a lot of Mac's and other Apple products, and I change my devices almost every year or two, so there is nothing to do with the money. I always buy the "best models", Mac, iPhone, iPad etc - I own all Apple toys atm and I'm very happy with them. Maybe I had too large a preliminary expectations with this 1.2/512 Retina MacBook. Apple created a great illusion with this new product that does not meet my expectations… I have always assume that premium brand like Apple releases are quality without problems, but now it seems that the first time I have to accept Apple product with issues, and I feel sad about it.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep this because otherwise I love this Mac and it feels great to use.

I'm gonna leave this topic now because discussion rolled to wrong direction. Original idea has gone. I'll get back if any comrades like to wants to swap ideas and/or having any solution and/or having any information about what causes cracking/clicking sound on new rMB.

Peace and out :apple:

17. maclab macrumors member

maclab

Does the base of the rMB have any screws into it? I have a 1st gen rMBP, and they suffered with the same issue, of making cracking sounds etc...it was actually due to misalignment of the base plate, you could not even tell by looking at it. Thats where I would start.

I was lucky and was able to solve the cracking sound easily, but it would not be something I would just live with, it would drive me nuts...so don't feel bad.

18. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

They said in my rMB, it was the hinge - that proved to be false. Some say it is a plate that free-floats behind the display. In any case, It exists in some degree in all units. I hope they fix it in version 2.

19. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

I dunno. I've had a rMB since launch day. Just one unit. And it's been great. No creaking, no nothing. OP, you are entitled to your opinion, but IMHO, if you go looking for tiny, minute problems, you will find them with any product, new or deep into revisions.

20. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Seems kind of shady for an extremely expensive product. Stuff like this just shouldn't happen with a premium, high end device. It's like saying its "OK" for your $5000 Rolex to stutter or lose time occasionally. No, it is NOT OK, lol.

21. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

Expectations are high for any Apple product. Along with that high expectation of impeccable quality, comes a premium price - there lies the great disconnect.

22. Nychot macrumors 6502a

i have had no issues so far with my gold base and use it every day. actually, compared to all of the many apple/mac products i have had since the 1980s, this one I consider a little jewel. at the moment, we have a 2014 13" base mba, a 2014 base 11" mba, a mbp 2010 15", an imac, a mac mini, 5 or 6 samsung android tablets, etc. the rmb is my favorite.

23. KPOM macrumors G5

Mine has a slight creak. It got really bad, and it turned out there was a loose screw. They fixed it, which did not eliminate the creak entirely (probably about 90%), but otherwise it's been a great unit. I've had mine since April.

24. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

I'm sorry about your luck. I just counted and between my wife and I we've owned 17 launch-day devices since moving to Apple with the iPhone 4. From all those iPhones, iPads and Macs only 2 had to go back (iPhone 6 and iPad Air 1), both for an intermittent home button.

If 11 previous units didn't satisfy your build quality criteria then I agree with the above that #12 probably won't either. You're either looking too close or the build quality is not up to your personal standards.

I also own the MacBook 12 and I think it's a triumph in design and execution. I say move on and be happy. Apple is not for you.

25. yegon macrumors 68020

I completely agree, although a $50 quartz watch keeps better time than a $5k Rolex or a $100k Patek!