The 16gb Iphone 6s is a slap in the face to consumers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by buster84, Sep 3, 2015.

?

Are you buying the 6S even after knowing a 16gb will be released?

1. Yes, Im buying the 16gb 6S no matter what.

15.2%
  2. Yes, I'm still buying the Iphone but ill just pay the premium and get the 64GB version instead.

63.9%
  3. No, I would have only bought it if they released a 32GB version.

11.5%
  4. No, my original plans to buy a 64GB or 128GB are turned off with their 16GB version being released.

9.4%
  1. buster84, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

buster84 macrumors 6502

I dont know about everyone else, but i was originally planning to buy two iphone 6s 128gb phones but now that they released a photo showing that the new 6s is only 16gb i'm really turned off from apple from this point on. I understand the need to please shareholders, but there comes a point when the obvious (greed) becomes to much to continue to support.

I own alot of apple products, but now I'm definitely re-thinking every single apple purchase from here on out. Right now i have a 27" Imac, Two 8 Core Mac-Pros, Two 13 Mac Pro's, Two iphone 5's, Two Ipad Air's, Two Apple tv's, and an apple airport. I have always supported apple, but their come a point when its time to stop supporting a company that is out to screw the consumer. The iphone 6 has ton's of complaints about storage at the 16gb level and now with the increased megapixel's and 4k video 16gb will fill up so fast you'll be screwed in no time.

The only possible way for apple to redeem themselves from this problem would be to release the iphone 6s 16gb version at $549 and release the 64GB at $649. If the 16GB is $649 then their only motive is to force everyone to skip that model and buy a 64gb version making this the new "Base Model" I hope consumers fight back this time with their wallets this time and launch sales fail drastically. I plan to wait it out and see what happen, but I'm definitely not per-ordering it or buying it this month. If people dont wait and they still make record sales then you'll continue to see this bad behavior from apple and thjei fully expect a 16gb iPhone 7.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Wow.

Given my own tirades against Apple over certain things I can certainly understand your anger. That said, just two things on this.

One, not everyone needs a whole bunch of storage. Some people just want an iPhone for what it can do and they store everything else off the phone. With iCloud that's even more possible.

Second, it's not as if Apple has removed the 128GB capacity as an option. In fact, you couldn't get 128GB until the iPhone 6/6+.

For me, I always buy the highest capacity available in the model I am purchasing at the time. So, I have a 128GB 6+. What Apple offers on the lower end and in the middle then is pretty much irrelevant to me. But just to me, not that it's irrelevant period.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get a 6s or 6s+ in 128GB.

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Well OP no one is slapping and telling you to buy it!

4. reverberlayed macrumors regular

I planned on getting the 64GB even if Apple increased the base model to 32GB. 32GB is still too little storage for me.

5. Alloftimeandtheatre macrumors newbie

I'll be getting the 16gb model. I'm not someone that has that many apps (I have maybe 10 I downloaded at most), and most of my photos I delete as I transfer them to my computer and Dropbox. On my current 16gb iPhone 6 I still have 5gb space free. Honestly, I know a lot of people like me who just don't use that much space. I'm not saying they shouldn't upgrade to 32, but it's a non issue for me.

6. Reikochan macrumors member

If I buy one it'll be the 64GB. I would have purchased that storage size regardless of the base model being 16GB or 32GB.

7. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502

Aibocyrus

ok, the price of the 64GB model took the price point of the 32GB. You're getting double the storage for what you would have paid for the 32. I'm failing to see the issue here?

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you use streaming services rather than storing a lot of music or movies on your device 16GB is still enough. We know they won't cut their profit margin so would you rather have them raise prices for those who only need 16GB or would you rather see the 16GB model out there?

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

You make it sound like 16GB is the only capacity being offered.

A simple fact that a lot of people here don't seem to get is that many people don't use their phone for extensive storage. I know from personal experience that a 16GB phone can hold several hundred MP3s and over 1000 photos, as well as a few dozen apps. That's enough for many people.

I also find it strange that people complain about the low entry level storage of iPhones but never fault them for not having expandable storage. Offer a 16GB phone with expandable mini-SD storage up to 128 GB is something that other manufacturers have been doing for ages.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't bump the entry level device to 32GB, but I wouldn't say that not doing so is a slap in the face.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I think the problem is that many people would rather get 32 for the price of 16, which makes sense if 32 is what you actually need.

11. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I understand the OP's frustration. I certainly shared it when in 2011 I had to pay an extra $100 to buy a 32GB 4S instead of a 16GB model. $100 for 16GB -- Apple did it because they could.

Still, I was just glad when the 32GB option was replaced with 64GB on the iPad Air and the phones followed suit (or was it the other way around?). Whether the entry model 6S is 16GB or 32GB is irrelevant to my personal needs. My choice was going to be 64GB regardless.

Still, I agree that 16GB is ridiculous, but I'm sure that Apple's number crunchers have recognized that offering the 16GB model instead of a 32GB model will influence more people to buy the 64GB option, and that increases Apple's profits.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think we will ever see 32 for the current price of the 16. When Apple drops the 16 as the base I'm pretty sure it'll be when due to inflation they have to increase the price to maintain their margins and they'll upgrade the storage to 32GB as away of hiding the price increase.

13. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

It's not a slap in the face.

Apple is simply offering a certain choice that some do not agree with.

Apple has a right to be as greedy as they want to be... :D

14. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    No one is making you buy the phone.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

What is worse?

Forcing users that need more storage to pay for it? Or forcing users that don't need more storage to pay for it?

If Apple offered a 32GB as the baseline, I can see some folks being upset. "Why should I pay for 32GB? Just make it $100 cheaper and let me have only 16GB."

16. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Agree with the first poster. I've had my share of rants against apple for some of the things they do, but this one I don't get. Why concern yourself with a configuration that you're not going to buy anyway?

As for me, I always get the lowest amount of storage. I just don't need much. I have 45 apps, no music and I move all photos/videos to drop box every couple days. I always have about 4 gigs free.

One thing that I guess is a legit gripe is the price difference between tiers. No way $100 should be the price to go from 16-64 and 64-128, but like I said, that's no concern of mine because I'm not buying the 64 or the 128.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Oh good, another thread about this topic yippee.

No one is making you.

16 GB is enough for many still (I personally know several).

Now, instead of getting 32GB for my extra $100, I get 64GB.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm starting to get the impression that there is a Kool-Aid shortage around here. ;)

19. profets macrumors 68040

I feel that 16GB is no longer sufficient for the majority of users (don't forget it actually has ~12GB of free usable space). This will be the 7th generation of iPhone that ships with a 16GB base model. I have zero issue with paying for more storage, but most people will not realize and just opt for the base model.

I get it, Apple wants to keep healthy margins (not sure the cost difference between 16 and 32) but more importantly they've created a tempting up-sell for people to spend $100 more for quadruple the storage which we've seen in their quarterly financials with the average selling price of the iPhone increasing.

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It'll pick up and be bedlam in 6 days.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The 16GB model I suspect also tends to drive sales of iCloud storage. I know of at least one person whom I work with that always seems to purchase the 16GB model (to her detriment some times, but that's what she does).

22. fanboi4lyfe macrumors regular

fanboi4lyfe

I agree with this. A lot of iPhone users like the entry price point of 16GB and use it for just the bare minimum, not everyone needs a ton of storage. But I would gladly take 64GB for the price of 32. Just makes sense, I would venture to say that the iPhone 7 will start with an entry level of 32GB though.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Now, see that's truth right there.

Waiting for the "I got/it shipped 6s6+s" thread…

24. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Some newbie started a pre-order thread back on 8/27, and it's already up to 7 pages. o_O

Don't they know there must be separate threads for every.single.preorder.option? Maybe we ought to go Head and start those now to be safe. :D

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Just buy the 64GB if you are worried about storage. People seem to forget that those of use who used to have 32GB models got a cracking deal with the 64GB! Double the storage at no extra cost.

The 16GB is aimed at people who want to save money on the handset and invest in iCloud. It makes sense otherwise a larger storage model would take sells off models with closer storage capacities. Keeping the 16GB makes perfect sense from a marketing and sales perspective.