The 2018-2019 NCAA Football Season

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Aug 15, 2018.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The start of the 2018 season is right around the corner and already we have a lot of drama occurring in the NCAA

Maryland:
    Sad news about a player dying, and for Durkin the coach it started unraveling pretty quickly. Based on the fact that the president accepted responsibility and was extremely harsh with the coaching staff and trainers, its hard to think he'll keep his job.
    Sources: Maryland OL Jordan McNair showed signs of extreme exhaustion
    The inside story of a toxic culture at Maryland football
    Maryland accepts responsibility in death of Jordan McNair, parts with Rick Court

Ohio State:
    Ohio State puts Urban Meyer on administrative leave
    Its hard to imagine him keeping his job in today's environment, especially when news broke, that not only his coaches advices Courtney Smith not to press domestic assault charges on her husband, but also Meyer's wife.

Michigan:
    I think the honeymoon is over with Jim Harbaugh and Michigan and he needs produce.

Preseason rankings (which mean absolutely nothing)
    2018-08-15_07-34-30.png

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Go Vols! Oh wait, I really don't care, but for the sake of my family of origin... Go Vols!

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I won't be watching college football. Can't support a system that effectively tells half of the teams that play, "you have no chance to make the playoffs."

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can respect that, but for me, I feel college football is a better product then the NFL. I truly do enjoy watching the game, and tbh, it doesn't bother me about the playoffs. I will say what they have now in place is a lot better then before.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Agreed, and one never knows a ranked team may ending up losing a game or two.

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like Ohio State board of trustees will be meeting tomorrow, though it appears they may not announce a decision on Meyer's future. I suspect they're dragging this on, so that this controversy loses steam and they can bring him back. They'll slap his wrist in some way, the lawyers will write him an apology that he'll read at a news conference which gives an appearance of heartfelt remorse and empathy but they'll not do anything.

8. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Hopefully Bryce Love wins the Heisman this time. Stanford has had so many runners-up over the past decade.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Has it been proven that Meyer knew about the abuse? Seems like you are convinced that he did.

10. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, its been reported that his wife tried to convince the victim to not to press charges.

Link
    Report: Texts Show Urban Meyer Knew of Domestic Violence Allegations Against Assistant in 2015

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

12. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Glad Urban was cleared - this was ridiculous.

13. maflynn, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018

maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ohio State valued winning over ethics

Looks like Meyer wanted to cover up any prior conversations.

Links
    In all honesty, I'm finding it hard to wrap my brain around this. Meyer confirms he received the text directing him to be forthright, but chose to plead ignorance on the 2015 incident when he was aware of it. How is this not deliberately lying?

14. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

No they don’t. They’ve fired plenty of coaches. They spent a lot of money to have pretty competent and trustworthy people to look over this case and the word on the street is that most of those people recommended Urban not be suspended at all and be reinstated immediately.

People are just grasping at straws now because they want to believe that somehow the police, judges, the university, lawyers, and who knows how many other people want to cover something up.

State law in Ohio gives police the discretion to press domestic violence charges even if the person who was assaulted does not want to because of the well-known fact that people who are assaulted tend to not want to press charges for fear of retaliation or many other reasons. If you strongly believe there’s a problem here the first thing you should do is figure this piece out before making this all about the football program, which is just a convenient scapegoat.

-edit-

Not to mention they were already investigating this before McMurphy tried to break the story, and of course they don’t want some reporter getting ahold of text messages and misrepresenting the context of the conversation like when McMuprhy claimed to “have proof” of domestic violence because of an oddly specific text message where Smith says “I know!!!.

15. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it was anyone else, other then Urban Meyer, he would have been fired, pure and simple. The evidence of his prior knowledge is not in dispute. The fact that he was told to be forthright prior to the news conference is not in dispute. His failure to tell the truth is a matter of public record since he stood there and feigned ignorance.

He, his wife, his other coaches exhibited a pattern of protecting this coach has he beat his gf/wife.

I'm not against Meyer for the sake of being against him or Ohio State, quite the opposite, I was a fan of him when he was at Florida and Ohio State, but this is just too much imo.

16. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Yes of course if it was somebody else they would have fired them because they aren’t worth the headache (although they also don’t have to pay $38 million to most people) - this is commonplace in human society. People who are more highly valued are given the benefit of the doubt and/or given more chances, etc.

The long and short of this is that Meyer gave Smith way too many chances - a University has to act above and beyond the police force, judges, or the government or risk reputational damage, and Zach and Courtney Smith turned out to be lunatics.

17. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

The Gophers are 17.5 favorite with a true freshman qb. That might be worth putting some money on.

18. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

I think Urban’s scummy and a moron for not firing Smith sooner. That said, as a Buckeye alum, I’m glad we can get back to talking about actual football soon.

19. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While football starts tomorrow, it seems to be an unofficial start. Only a handful of games, and all tomorrow night. Next Thursday and Saturday seems to be when we see the season get moving. Bummers, I was looking forward to spending quality time with my chair and TV tomorrow :(
    2018-08-24_09-31-38.png

20. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Drooling at the thought of college football on Saturday with the prime time teams playing. It feels like it’s been so long...

21. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

My 'Cuse are gonna win it all!

Yeah right...

It'll never happen...

I hope they win one game...

When does basketball start?

22. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    No, they value money over everything else. It's the NCAA Way.

23. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Urban Meyer doesn’t really change this calculus. The long and short is that the committee didn’t uncover any attempt to hide what happened. In fact, the Title IX office was the first to find out! The situation was screwed up and Urban missed red flags but the old adage is “the cover up is worse than the crime” and there was no evidence of a cover up so everybody was punished and we move on. Speaking of Title IX - you can think both it and the NCAA for ensuring sports aren’t only done for-profit. That’s why we have a lot of women’s sports, mind you.

24. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    Of course he does. He's the second or third best college football coach out there behind Sabin and maybe Bob Stoops. So, the replacement pool is pretty small (although Stoops is available).

The "committee" ignored the fact that he did things to hide the trail of evidence. That Meyer did this shows intent to deceive.

They are principally about profit. That's why all but 3 bowl games are on pay TV.

25. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Sorry I don’t think he does. He’s the second or third best (depending on if you count Dabo) but OSU is bigger than Meyer and always will be. They have a history of firing coaches national championship or not.

Did he? What did he do to cover this up? The police knew, Gene Smith knew, OSU’s Title IX office knew, other coaches knew (including Tom Herman going to strip clubs with Zach Smith). He definitely shouldn’t have given him a long leash but I don’t think he covered anything up.

Not true. Most college sports don’t make money, and many are subsidized by basketball or football programs. The programs that do make money give that money back to the university. It’s conpletely false to claim they are about profit when they can’t generate a profit.