Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

The 2020-2021 Football Thread

Silencio

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Completely agree. I have used a few football-related examples when teaching. It has less impact here in the US, because out a class of, say, 100 students you might have just a handful who actually follow football in Europe, even if most are aware it is the number one global sport. A friend of mine (an Arsenal fan) taught a few a courses on globalization, and football is absolutely perfect for that. He once opened class with "any Spurs fans here?". When one student raised his hand my friend frowned, shook his head, and replied "wrong answer." The poor kid was apparently terrified.

And the kid wasn't actually a San Antonio Spurs fan?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Another week, another VAR implementation debacle. I'm not going to write a long post about the ridiculous calls in this farcical Merseyside derby. What is the point? We all know the drill by now.

I'll reserve my sense of injustice for the fact that Everton have just injured our best player, possibly severely (you never know with knee injuries).

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Another week, another VAR implementation debacle. I'm not going to write a long post about the ridiculous calls in this farcical Merseyside derby. What is that point? We all know the drill by now.

I'll reserve my sense of injustice for the fact that Everton have just injured our best player, possibly severely (you never know with knee injuries).

Two ugly injuries for Liverpool, and Pickford deserved a card, one coloured red, for that challenge.

I really dislike the sort of play that "goes for the man" rather than the ball.

Ugly, nasty and unnecessary.

Reactions: JamesMike

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I think it bears repeating that players gain no advantage by having 3 millimeters of a nipple offsides...this current use of VAR is usually technically correct (though we are still seeing mistakes as well) but it violates the spirit of the offside law.

And the kid wasn't actually a San Antonio Spurs fan?

No, but some of the sports fans in the room probably made that assumption.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

tee_cup

Contributor
Jul 18, 2020
Atlanta, GA
My my, that was awful.

Near the end of the game, I was rather hoping for a draw. At the same time, I am happy that ‘Citeh’ didn’t smack us for six...!

michael9891

macrumors 68030
Sep 26, 2016
England
It looks like VVD will be out for about 8 months, the VAR ref should be out for the same time!
I hope there's some retrospective action against Pickford. Can't go in like that on someone and have nothing happen.

Massive blow for Liverpool who already look dodgy at the back. Hope VVD recovers well, because some players are never the same after a bad injury.

pachyderm

macrumors 604
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
1602966007355.png

Still trying to get back to 0 pts...

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
It looks like VVD will be out for about 8 months, the VAR ref should be out for the same time!

I'm hoping for a good show from Man U.
I hope there's some retrospective action against Pickford. Can't go in like that on someone and have nothing happen.

Massive blow for Liverpool who already look dodgy at the back. Hope VVD recovers well, because some players are never the same after a bad injury.
Awful tackle by Pickford on Virgil. And, if he really is out for 8 months or so, that’s even worse...

It looks as though Liverpool - quite rightly - have asked The Premier League to review the VAR decisions in the draw against Everton.

Even if VVD was off-side, that was still a horrendous foul.

Reactions: tee_cup

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
A much better second half for my team, a 4-1 win for Man U.

A 4-1 win in the last few minutes when Manchester United finished exceptionally strongly, and put their chances away; until the 86th minute, it looked (on the scoreboard, at least, if not on the pitch) as though it was about to end in a draw.

Reactions: JamesMike

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Awful tackle by Pickford on Virgil. And, if he really is out for 8 months or so, that’s even worse...

It's an ACL tear, the worst possible outcome.

I'm absolutely at a loss for words. VAR would not have prevented the injury to Virgil but as I said before, an utter, utter farce. Football is a team sport, but it is clear that this injury probably changes the outcome of Liverpool's 2020-2021 campaign, and not for the better. We won't see Van Dijk back on the pitch and match fit till next season.

michael9891

macrumors 68030
Sep 26, 2016
England
Has it actually been confirmed it's an ACL injury? So far I've only seen Richard Keys saying "he's heard it might be", none of the major sports news sites are reporting it.

Gary Lineker summed VAR up well. He questioned how they can work out Mane was offside (which I disagree with) but not see a blatant red card.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Has it actually been confirmed it's an ACL injury? So far I've only seen Richard Keys saying "he's heard it might be", none of the major sports news sites are reporting it.

Hasn't been confirmed yet, but he's had the scan and if it came out negative I suspect they would have said so immediately. I am not optimistic.

Gary Lineker summed VAR up well. He questioned how they can work out Mane was offside (which I disagree with) but not see a blatant red card.

I have to confess I cannot explain the decisions. Either they saw the red card offense, but due to some technical interpretation of the rules they did not enforce it due to the "offside" coming first (which would be ludicrous), or they didn't see the flagrant foul on Van Dijk (which would be ludicrous), or they saw the foul and didn't think it was worthy of a red (which would be ludicrous). I'm willing to believe that Pickford didn't deliberately try to snap Van Dijk in two, but if that wasn't reckless/violent I don't know what is.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Hasn't been confirmed yet, but he's had the scan and if it came out negative I suspect they would have said so immediately. I am not optimistic.

I have to confess I cannot explain the decisions. Either they saw the red card offense, but due to some technical interpretation of the rules they did not enforce it due to the "offside" coming first (which would be ludicrous), or they didn't see the flagrant foul on Van Dijk (which would be ludicrous), or they saw the foul and didn't think it was worthy of a red (which would be ludicrous). I'm willing to believe that Pickford didn't deliberately try to snap Van Dijk in two, but if that wasn't reckless/violent I don't know what is.

Agreed.

The official response to this outrageous foul (even if not deliberate) needs to be looked at anew, and reviewed, and revised.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Sighhh..... not a good start.

No, not at all.

Nevertheless, while Mourinho seems to have bought well over the transfer window, I still think that Levy should have supported Pochettino better, by way of releasing additional funds for strategic purchases, when he sought to add to what was probably the strongest Spurs team in over half a century.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.