"The 5 Life-and-Death Issues That Both Trump and Clinton Ignore"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Oct 29, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://observer.com/2016/10/the-fiv...e-country-that-trump-and-clinton-both-ignore/

The site's been one I referenced before and to be frank the headline's use of ("life and death") is obscenely theatrical, but the 5 points raised (and there is at least another issue not brought up) were interesting to note. Especially #4, but I could have cited any number - except #1, the "Doomsday Clock" has been at 11:55 for decades now, assuming people still see it as being "relevant" like the hula hoop or pet rock.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Interesting article. Not sure I agree that most of these have not been addressed though. As far as infrastructure, too much of that has been given directly to the states so that it's no longer a federal issue.

3. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Good point, re: the States. There is only so much that the Federal side can or should do...

I think some issues had been mentioned. Trump sounded impassioned for a while in one of the three debates. Clinton was as well... I've by and large only seen snippets, not all three debates. So much more emphasis has been put on personal lives and to the point of sheer idiocy, if the candidates were so bothered why not just get on the Jerry Springer show, it's still being made for some reason. Maybe the same reason as to how the debates were so popular, LOL.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Considering that in the USA, one in five children lives below the poverty line, I'm surprised the article didn't mention the fact that we doom 20% of the next generation to a dice roll on whether they manage to escape the usual life sentence of poor nutrition, poor education, poor examples around them etc. Just moving sex ed out of high school into junior high would help.

But hey this is the land of bootstrapping yourself out of the cradle into a 9 to 5 job in tech.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hillary has warned Iran that she is willing to wage nuclear war on behalf of Israel. That's hardly ignoring the issue. Both parties have been ignoring the middle class for years, so that's nothing new. And I've heard Trump and Hillary mention infrastructure and rising medical costs several times in recent weeks. Israel -vs- Palestine isn't an important issue and most Americans rightly don't give a damn.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Mostly I agree with the issues mentioned, not that there are easy solutions to any of these. Domestically, medical class and medical costs are huge. You gotta take money away from someone to fix this. I question if we have the will to tackle these things.

Request source regarding Hillary defending Israel with nukes. We have pledged to support Israel, but for some reason you feel compelled to single out Hillary vs Trust "why can't we use them?".