The 51st State!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Feb 21, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

It's the state of delusion that we can do no wrong

3. cube macrumors G5

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My guess would be Guam or Puerto Rico. :)

5. martint235 macrumors regular

martint235

Well thankfully the New Model Army song is no longer relevant and it isn't the UK

6. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

That would go against my plan to take over the US. I'd prefer to do it through legal means... ;)

7. cube macrumors G5

PUR already voted in favour of becoming a state. Well, before the election ;)

8. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

What is the likelihood of that?

9. cube macrumors G5

I guess none with the current Congress.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Although it's already a U.S. territory, Guam would give us more of a presence in the West Pacific for geopolitical muscle flexing. Hmm, maybe not a great idea. :p

11. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

12. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Please let it be Guam. That place is AWESOME!

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Were you based there? I lived there from 82-85 attached to FairConRonOne, NAS Agana. Our hobby was spying on The USSR and China from afar. :D Had a favorite snorkeling place down at Big Navy to stock the salt water tank in my living room.

[​IMG]

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Guam could be cool, why not? but Puerto Rico's probably more likely.

My long long longshot vote would go to Midway Atoll. That way we could ensure the 66-year-old albatross who still returns there with her mate long enough to produce another rare chick now and then continues to get proper attention from the few remaining members of the atoll's assigned staff from the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/02/oldest-bird-wisdom-albatross-laysan/

Don't all rush to become one of the atoll state's two U.S. Senators... it's possible that Wisdom (the female albatross) might put up quite a fight for one of those chairs. :)

15. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

16. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Nope, never been in the military.

I did go as a civilian with the Navy on a humanitarian deployment to Indonesia and East Timor; was on the USNS Mercy hospital ship. I got off the boat and caught a flight home from Guam. I went snorkeling at the Spanish steps on the Navy base; it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2017 ---
    Bird brains? I think she'd fit in to congress really well!

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah... term limits probably not an issue there, I mean she is pretty old. The only thing is, she'd be subject to charges of going on way too many Congressional junkets. Albatross are pretty efficient flyers and can log up to a thousand kilometers a day but it's not like they're into fancy wining and dining en route. They like squid!

On the thread topic,,,, I guess the EU was pretty embarrassed. Well at least they didn't suggest there were fewer than 50 states, that could have been even more interesting, not to mention fodder for conspiracy theories. "EU group signals support for California secession during Brussels meeting" :D

18. Scepticalscribe, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Nah, I think they were just testing mental reflexes Across The Pond.

Just checking whether the current administration really and truly knew just how many States are currently part of the US.

After all, Mr Trump doesn't know how many electoral college votes he got, and didn't know how many EC votes his predecessors had managed to garner, either.

19. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

They should've put Obama's 56 stars flag on display then!! ;)

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And besides, the EU left the idea of one star representing one state behind a long time ago. These days, the stars are a vague, general - rather than specifically tied to numbers of member states - metaphor for membership of the union.

21. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Yeah, that makes them less stupid for getting the US flag wrong :rolleyes:

22. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Lol, so because the EU has left the idea of one star representing one state the American meaning is... meaningless?!?

23. Scepticalscribe, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To be honest, they should have been pretty embarrassed - I have no idea how such a stupid flag was made in the first place, let alone not somehow spotted before it was run up a flagpole.

Personally, I tend to be bit - precise - about such matters.

I don't do emoticons, so I had to look the meaning of that one up.

Having counted the wretched stars, it is a stupid error, and I'm surprised it wasn't caught and culled (or feloniously removed as a private, personal souvenir) before it made an appearance in public.

However, having said that, I suspect that relations between the EU and the US - let alone NATO and the US - may well be a lot less warm than formerly, and - unfortunately, - as a consequence, I imagine that this would lead to stifled grins and less concern about such things than might otherwise have been the case.

24. cube macrumors G5

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...de-warns-european-union-can-expect-hostility/

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Perhaps it was just a metaphorical acceptance by the EU of a new and more casual attitude in the USA about little details of our policies, like whether or not we're really in NATO, whether or not pieces of the Ukraine have gone missing,,,, whether or not the White House is a state unto itself. Not that the EU accepts such confusions, just that it now firmly asserts that the view from inside that oval bunker in DC might be a little fuzzy.