The 5C Exists Solely to Promote the 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Sep 11, 2013.

1. aohus macrumors 68000

People complaining that the 5C is too expensive $549 for it's off-contract price and that's totally understandable. Thing is, Apple does not cater to low-profit margin areas, because it frankly doesn't need to. In my opinion, the 5C is named the 5C and 'unofficially' dubbed 'cheap' in order to make a clearer distinction between the budget and premier 5S flagship phone. After all, the 'luxury' Gold color is only available on the 5S. Additionally, the 5C screams 'not flagship' with it's various playful colors and unabashedly 'plastic' exterior (per statements made by Apple executives during the keynote). Also, they are completely stopping iPhone 5 production, so the iPhone 5 replacement will come in the more budget-looking 5C.

What Apple did in my opinion, was create a class between budget and flagship, not to compete against Android, but to create a hierarchy/classicism within the Apple hardware ecosystem. The more 'durable' looking slightly cheaper 5C will belong to the kids while the luxury iPhone 5S line will be for the older crowd (I'm thinking high school kids and over will want a 5S over a 5C).

People saying that Apple is losing it's grip on innovation. This is a bunch of crock. Apple stock is down 5% as we speak. I would BUY, BUY BUY. Apple is not going anywhere. They're doing a great job!

2. solo118 macrumors 65816

IMHO, the 5C is perfect for a kid, or somebody who does need the latest and greatest gadgets (that are in the 5S)

Many people will buy the 5C to save that $100. Think about it, if you are a father and your teenage kid is bugging you for an upgrade on their iphone X, are you going to pick the top of the line model for $200, or the model at half the price $99.

Needless to say, the power users and those in the know will pick up the 5S gladly, I am one of them. I like the under the radar look, so I will be getting space gray with a black leather case.

3. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... I'm not sure I agree. The iPhone 5S would've sold a ridiculous amount of iPhones without the 5C just like they have in the past. I just think they are reaching out to a larger market (lower budgets, kids, teens, etc) thus generating more sales.

I really do think its that simple.

4. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

I disagree, here's how i look at it

The 5C will be Apple's new "Flagship" phone, it will be promoted more, it will be the phone Apple tries to push more. It's more affordable, it's a more attractive option for those on a budget, and for parents who kids might want an iPhone. It's essentially an iPhone 5 is a new shell, and a more than capable device in its own right. People are dismissing the 5C as a cheap piece of tech, but i think Apple made a smart move here, and you'll see less and less budge Android devices out in the wild because of it.

An article i read today on Runaroundtech said it best, the 5S will be the "iPhone Pro" of the iPhone family. It will still sell, but i think overall the 5C will sell to a much more broad market

5. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

I guess I'm addressing more to the 'why isn't the 5C cheaper' for emerging markets like China/India. I honestly think Apple feels confident that the 5C will still sell well, as well as the 5S, regardless of the measly $99 cheaper price of the 5C.

And also, I'm not arguing that the 5S and 5C won't sell. They will both sell really well, and like I stated in the OP yeah, the 5C will cater to the teenage crowd, and the 5S flagship will be for the 'grown ups.' I'm just impressed with how they opted to stick with a high price point with the 5C and make a more distinction between the budget vs premiere flagship phone. It essentially promotes the 5S. It's a good move on Apple.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

No. I would give my kid the 4S which is free and I only have to pay the monthly fee. And, $100 saved is nothing since you have to pay the $80-100 a month bill.

7. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I may agree with the OP. That is probably why they did not release an all-black one.

Seriously, would any guy or professional want any of those girly colors? MAYBE the white, but that is even a stretch.

8. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

I'm a guy and i like them all except the pink/red one.

Seriously, this is the black vs. white iPhone debate all over again

9. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

To be honest, I think the 5C should be $349 at least off-contract

10. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

more marginalizing of the 5C. that's right. no one but mindless, classless teenagers are going to get the 5C. special people like yourself will still have the elitist models to help define their lives.

11. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

I am totally in the same boat - decisions decisions decisions ;):D:):cool:!

12. lozpop macrumors 6502

I'm not sure a parent would sign a 2-year contract for his kid. For kids you need an unsubsidized iPhone, and the iPhone 5C costs 549$, which is a really high price for a mid-range target — which is why AAPL is going down.

Anyway I agree, 5C design and colors are perfect for kids.

13. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Apple is pushing the 5C hard because the profit margins are greater on it. Wall Street has been dismayed at falling margins so this is one big way to counteract it. They are selling last year's phone in a cheaper plastic exterior that pushes production costs down dramatically than keeping the 5 around. People feel like they are getting a new phone when in fact they are getting last year's phone in a plastic shell.

It's still a very nice phone better than any Android or Windows phone device. So I think everyone will be happy with the outcomes of this initiative.

14. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Personally, I think the news created expectations which Apple can't come up to this time. Just like what happened with the 'cheaper' iPad mini.
    I too agree that the iPhone 5c only exists to distinguish a bigger difference between the two models.

But, the S model has always been a refinement model, never a breakthrough model.

It's still gonna sell a BUTT LOAD, and I'm gonna buy it too.

Kudos Apple. You've done it again.

15. TC03 macrumors 65816

In the US, the 5C will do fine for $99 on contract.

In Europe, which has a different system of subsidizing phones, the 5C costs $800 off contract which is just way too much. There are good Android devices for $400, half the price of the 5C.

I believe market share of the iPhone will go down the drain in Europe and continue to rise in the US.

16. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

Had to laugh at this...

From the Apple website - advertising the cases for the iPhone 5C...

Attached Files:

17. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Totally agree. But here in the UK, some people just can't afford the flagship model. I always see people and meet people who have recently purchased a previous model.

The iPhone 5s has been confirmed by a carrier here for £119 to buy the phone, then £37 a month contract. (Around $180 to buy then $55 a month). That give us Unlimited Calls and Texts then 1/2Gb of data.

So, hopefully the 5c will be maybe £49 to buy or even free. Then yes, the 5c will sell A LOT.
    It might be a lower model, but it's still a new phone if that makes sense.

18. TC03 macrumors 65816

If the 5C were to be a free 'new' iPhone on contract, I reckon it will sell well, even in the UK. However, the UK is pretty cheap when it comes to contracts. Countries like Spain, France and Italy are much more expensive and offer less subsidies (and lower monthly fees). There's no way the 5C will sell well in those countries. Nobody will pay €350 for a phone when they can get an Android for free or €49.

19. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

The 5C is designed specifically to be more affordable people taking out a new contract.

The 5C has a high SIM free price because it's an iPhone and Apple knows people will pay it. But as I said above, the 5C carries a lower cost and makes it cheaper for networks to subsidise making it a more attractive and competitive option to people who would otherwise choose an Android device.

20. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Is it though? I really like what you've said. But I just think it's there to differentiate what's superior and inferior between the 5s and 5c.

----------

Really? I didn't know that. So currently, what's the price for e 4 or a 4S in those countries? Do they offer them free if they take out a contract? Or do they really not budge? Shame.

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I think it exists to restore Apple's bottom line. Its a cheaper to make iPhone 5 charged at the same price.

22. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

In the Keynote at some parts, the "Pho" that we can see has been edited out. tut tut tut.

23. Poly macrumors 6502

If they would have priced the 5C like 450$ or at least 500$ THIS would've been a device for parents/kids/emerging markets.
    Ok, it has battery and LTE improvements over the 5, but it sticks within a freaking plastic shell.....

24. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

25. fsumom macrumors regular

I might be in the minority but I don't even look at the non-contract price. I have been with Alltel/Verizon for 13 years. Therefore, signing a 2 year contract is no biggie to me. I don't own a home phone so my cell is my only phone. Also, if having a smartphone and data plan get too pricey, I can always switch to another phone and less expensive plan. I personally wouldn't consider shelling out the non-contract prices on the cell phones. I bought the 5c for $99 on a 2 year contract and see no issue with it.