The 6+ return for the 6 creep has entered my head, those that have done it, thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by infoe, Sep 25, 2014.

1. infoe, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

infoe macrumors member

This forum while you have to wade through the bs and children posting opinion as fact has a lot of great posts and users.

Let's start off by saying I love the 6+ screen and screen size, man is it a great phone. I am a lucky one too my phone has no dead pixels, straight line on the back no bending :) this baby is in pristine working order. I own an ipad mini retina and when that and the ipad air first came out i went with the mini retina as it felt more comfortable to me.

I always said that if the mini retina was a phone as well I'd rock that puppy straight to the face for a phone call (in jest) so I thought the 6+ would be the right screen size. It really is.

The problem comes in the form factor I think for me, FOR ME FOR ME (I emphasize that as I welcome opinions) but I am not trying to impose my thought on the 6 being better or 6+ being better let's just know or assume they are the same phone with different screen sizes.

the 6+ with it's thin form factor it is basically too wide for me, I feel it difficult to hold for long period of times for both phone calls and general use.

I said when the rumors came out of the two sizes I'm going with the bigger because I could never own a 4.7 knowing that a bigger screen was available in the 5.5 (consider me excessive)

I guess my adult conscience is finally winning and leaning me toward the 6. out of all the posts I saw, I think I only saw one person saying they went from 6+ to 6 and regret it and want to go back to the 6+

Those that have exchanged was it easy to exchange at your store? did they give you a phone even if it did not necessarily say they have stock?

are you happy with the exchange and staying at 4.7 or thinking of going back?

*edit* not sure if it matters but I'm 6"1 180lbs am very sports active (normal to avg size hands Id say)

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

3. idyll macrumors 6502

I'm considering doing the same today. I too love the screen, battery life, and camera but the size is so unwieldy for me. I knew this going in, but though the positives would outweigh the negatives and I'd change my mind.

I wish apps were optimized for it already so I could see what the screen is really capable of. I know this will happen eventually, but it will take some time. I'm a little afraid weeks from now an app will come out that is much more useful on the Plus and I'll be jealous of the Plus users.

4. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

I am returning my 6 Plus today for the 6. I wanted to try out the Plus for myself and decide for myself. Its a great phone, but I need something a little more pocketable. I believe the 6 (4.7") model is spot on when it comes to portability and size. I am glad Apple gave both phones the same exact hardware. Of course, I did notice that the 6+ lags in some aspects (most likely due to the number of pixels it has to produce). My mom's 6 feels like the perfect smartphone.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I was pretty set on the plus untill I realized its not as easy to travel with it seems like you have to carry it in your hand everywhere

6. infoe thread starter macrumors member

OP checking back in here...so far great, respectful comments lets keep it that way. I wonder if they will change the 7 to a 5" screen maybe there will be no need to. we all know eventually something will change. I sure would love to be able to keep that screen size in something more wield-y.

I held the lg g3 for a day and it felt great...for some reason this is different.

7. supernet33 macrumors regular

I did the same thing. I exchanged the 6+ for the 6. I loved the 6+ But it was just too big for me.

8. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

I started a thread like this yesterday. I returned my 6 Grandè yesterday for a 6 and I'm much happier. The Grandè was hard to carry around in my pockets at the gym...also it was hard for me to text and write emails. I won't say the plus is bad,I can appreciate the screen real estate,but it's just not for me.

I wouldn't tell anyone to do anything,I'm just sharing what worked for me and I'm much happier.

9. Starrbuck macrumors regular

After initially wanting and pre-ordering the 6+, I settled on a 6, and it's honestly just right (for me). I am interested to see what Apple does next year with the 6s+ (or whatever it'll be called) and I may upgrade to the larger model then.

10. Dreday24 macrumors regular

returned 6+ for 6 dont regret it same size as my old htc one,which i loved.

11. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Nice to see some one (like me) who points out that their opinions are based on what works for them and not meant to speak for the whole forum :)

It seems that some many people here want to tell everyone what is best for them.

Here is my thought, I am not sure how financially feasible it would be for you, but maybe go get a 6 to try for a few days, then return either the 6 or the 6+. I only suggest that because of the hard time people have had getting a 6+. If you return yours now and decide to go back, you may have a long wait.

12. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I have thought about returning mine because it stills feels a bit big/unwieldy when carrying but I checked out a 6 last night and it just seems smallish to me and not much of an improvement over my 5S. Plus I don't want to give up the 2-day battery life or nicer screen. I'm going to live with the 6 Plus for a year and then decide next year what comes next. I'm an annual upgrader anyhow.

13. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

14. ant the ninja macrumors regular

ant the ninja

Ahhh I am so confused. I have no idea what I want to do. I originally wanted the plus but when I finally held it at the Apple I was a little surprised at how big this phone actually was. I was trying to use it with one hand and while you definitely can, I couldn't easily. My girlfriend got the 6 yesterday and its a great size, fits perfectly in the hand.

I think knowing the screen and battery are both better and bigger on the plus is what's driving me towards it. What really will I be missing from the plus?

15. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

If form factor is your issue, then yes, return it.

I thought about exchanging mine, but only because of "bendgate". The battery on the Plus is exactly what I need it to be for a mobile device and I love the screen.

In your case, exchange it, because the size is turning you off of it when you should be eager for that.

16. Viva macrumors newbie

Once the "Plus" mentality has worn off I think there will be a lot of regret from those that remained caught up in the hysteria of their purchase, wishing they had bought the iPhone 6 (it's a phone, it's got features, it's just not "PLUS problems")

17. j0nblayz macrumors member

j0nblayz

I went thru the same thing. Wife and I both bought the plus's, used it for 2 days and just exchanged yesterday for the 6's. As much as I love the screen, it just wasn't the right fit for our use. However I do miss the big screen, but the 6 feel's normal in our hands if that makes sense.

18. highlightshadow macrumors regular

I think if they could do a 5.3" and shrink the top/bottom bezels significantly they'd have a winner.

I was almost gutted when i took the 5.5 out of the box on launch day and immediately kinda knew in my heart that i'd never get used to this size.

Looking at some of my photography work on that screen however scaled to the exact res and pixel density and colour gamut did show how beautiful the screen was

The colour accuracy and tonality it produced was almost jaw dropping

I was kinda not looking forward to going 'back' to a 326ppi screen as i'd kinda started to just notice the pixels in certain circumstances but they have definitely evolved something in the hardware as it feels and looks better ... yeah i know all about their claimed 'Retina HD' moniker :) But something even compared to 5S is definitely better and pixels seem to have disappeared again for me

Just needs the App optimizations to come through now ... its ok on the 6 ... on the 6+ some apps looked pretty blurry at times.

19. infoe thread starter macrumors member

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

OP - Go for it. You might have a day or two of a shock factor after being with the Plus, seeing the smaller screen. Afterwards, it sounds like you would appreciate it. There are those who the Plus is ideal.

However, when you factor in portability, getting the phone into tight spots to take pictures, comfort in holding, etc. others find the regular 6 ideal.

Only my opinion, I would love a plus, but I couldn't use it as my primary phone, and I don't want to take on the expense of an additional line.

21. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I picked up a 3G last night to get it ready to sell. That was a shock! :)

22. infoe thread starter macrumors member

would love and can count on apple's continued improvement. maybe they do a 5.0-5.3 with a better form factor that may be for me. may be easier to go to that phone after coming from a 4.7 (if I do exchange for the 6) where as jumping from the 5s to the 6+ is a pretty big upgrade for me

----------

this is not a bad option but how does it work? i need to buy an unlocked one? if i return my 6+ that is subsidized can they then return the 6 and get me in an at&t subsidized one? seems a bit of extra steps which I do not mind but just not sure how it would work.

23. shady25 macrumors member

The 6 is a great phone. I was sold when I held one. I have yet to hold or even see the plus model yet.

24. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I have the 6 Plus and I love it. For what I do and how I chat with my employees it's been perfect. I also was looking at buying an iPad Mini so the 6 Plus defeated that expense and of course it fits in all my pockets, including my tight jeans!

25. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I've got the Plus and have spent some time at a store holding both trying to figure it out. Sometimes when I hold my Plus for a while with one hand it gets a little crampy. Not sure if that will go away once my muscles get used to it. It is also making me change from one-handed use to more of a two-handed approach. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. I feel that maybe I should change how I use it to accommodate for the difference in size but I second guess that wondering if I am just trying to justify it. I like the bigger battery, screen, etc. It is also my first ever iPhone that I am using a case for, albeit a slim slim case - the Spigen iPhone 6 Plus Case Thin Fit ($11.99 at Amazon). That certainly adds a tiny bit to the width and comfort factor but makes it slide in and out of pocket more easily than a leather or grippy silicone case. And gives me a little piece of mind for scratches and bending. The 6 Plus fits in my front pocket of jeans and today I will take it to the gym and test it out there.

I will say that when I held the 6 at the store it suddenly felt small, though obviously not as small as the iPhone 5/5S. I was one who said I will never get a 5.5" and would choose the 4.7" but then did the opposite, swayed by the battery/camera specs and changes in landscape use. But I also always said I was more interested in a 5.0-5.1" screen and feel like if Apple had made the 6 slightly larger than 4.7" it would be easier to consider it. I don't want to feel like I missed out on screen size for the next 2 years. It's a tough choice. Hopefully my 14 days will allow me to make the best decision. Obviously I was lucky enough to get the 6 Plus at launch to be able to make the determination but I don't have a 6 to use as a test case.

iPhone 5 / 6 / 6 Plus

IMG_2300.jpg