The $60 million Texas high school football stadium won’t reopen this year

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
In todays, are you ******** me file.

In February, we told you about the high school football stadium in Texas that cost a whopping $60 million and was closed down due to “extensive cracking.”
At the time, the school district said Eagle Stadium in Allen, Tex., would remain closed until at least June to allow an engineering firm to look into the structural issues. They warned that the repairs could impact games at the stadium this fall.
On Tuesday, that possibility became a reality. The Allen Independent School District announced that the stadium would be closed for the 2014-2015 school year “after consulting engineers found significant structural problems” at the stadium.
While a full engineering study of the stadium won’t be done until June, a preliminary report from the consultants found “design deficiencies in the elevated concourse at the stadium that fail to meet building codes and reduce the safety and strength of the concourse,” Lance Hindt, the district’s superintendent, announced in a news release.
The stadium’s long-term closure was first reported by the Dallas Morning News.
Hindt said in the announcement that the architect and builder of the stadium were responsible for the flaws and that they would pay for the repairs. He said that engineers hired by the school district have been working with engineers hired by PBK Architects, which designed the stadium, and Pogue Construction, which built it, to figure out how to best repair the problems.
Eagle Stadium drew quite a bit of attention when it opened in August 2012 because it was a $60 million football stadium in suburban Dallas that seemed to be the high school version of the pricier collegiate facilities. The taxpayers who funded the stadium approved it as part of a bond issue in 2009.
The school’s football team — which won back-to-back Class 5A Division I titles over the two seasons the stadium was open — will play its home games in Plano, Tex., during the 2014 season.
“The stadium does not make the team, the players make the team,” Tom Westerberg, the football team’s coach, said in a statement.
Since they won’t be playing in Eagle Stadium, with its 18,000 seats and 38-foot-wide high-definition screen, there won’t be any season tickets sold for the 2014 season. Instead, all seating will be general admission.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/05/20/the-60-million-texas-high-school-football-stadium-wont-reopen-this-year/?Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

Talk about government waste. 60 million for a high school football stadium and the thing was built shoddy.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/05/20/the-60-million-texas-high-school-football-stadium-wont-reopen-this-year/?Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

Talk about government waste. 60 million for a high school football stadium and the thing was built shoddy.
The High school football stadiums here in Texas never cease to amaze me. I'm within about 10 miles of 2 stadiums that are nicer than anything that was at my D-1 college.

The priorities are a little bit out of whack...

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

Meanwhile, TxDOT is having trouble finding funds to upkeep crumbling Texas roads and is actually converting some farm to market roads to gravel! But hey... at least they got their shoddy expensive high school stadium!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Agreed.

The voters who approved this were dumber than a sack of rocks, but they weren't the ones who used substandard material/methods.
Doesn't the city have inspectors that are supposed to monitor construction? What were they doing.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Not a good article to read as I'm about to go vote to raise my school taxes. Wavering at the moment.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
How about the voters who approved such a thing, how much blame do they get?
Doesn't the city have inspectors that are supposed to monitor construction? What were they doing.
Do you not have any blame for the structural engineers, architects, or construction company at all? How is this all the government's fault, the public's fault, and the inspector's fault? :confused:

I'm not supporting a $60m stadium, but I think nearly all the structural blame goes to those I listed above.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Do you not have any blame for the structural engineers, architects, or construction company at all? How is this all the government's fault, the public's fault, and the inspector's fault? :confused:

I'm not supporting a $60m stadium, but I think nearly all the structural blame goes to those I listed above.
All of those blueprints and plans have to get passed by the town before construction starts. They don't just let people build things without oversight. City engineers should know if a plan is sound or not. Seems the ball was dropped all around. (Pun somewhat intended).

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
All of those blueprints and plans have to get passed by the town before construction starts. They don't just let people build things without oversight. City engineers should know if a plan is sound or not. SEems the ball was dropped all around. Pun somewhat intended.
So, that's a "no"?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So, that's a "no"?
Everyone ****ed up. The voters for allowing it, the town for not checking on it, and the builder for not planning it. It looks like everyone looked the other way as this this was happening.

Prof.

macrumors 601
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago
This is what pisses me off about this country. We value sports more than we do education. A university professor makes $45k/yr but the university football coach makes seven figures :rolleyes::mad:

We are a nation of idiots.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
:eek: really? in the US? when/where was this?
most postdocs make more than that, and even a starting Assistant Prof will make >60K (as a base, 9-months salary) in the majority of public universities, and often significantly more

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Apologies - i was using my college as a reference where the starting salary is 45.

Salary of UIC Sociology Profs.
$45k is around post-doc level, so it seems feasible as a starting salary. It's a lot of school to start at that though.