Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
RealWorldTechnologies posts an in-depth review of upcoming 64-bit processors. In it, they discuss IBM's Power4 and, of course, IBM's PowerPC 970 which is coming later this year:

Even more intriguing for Apple is that the 970?s typical power consumption drops to 19 W at 1.2 GHz which makes it a natural competitor to Intel?s Banias processor for high end mobile applications and very small form factor and/or silent desktop PCs. Given the reduced design margin and greater market emphasis for clock frequency of desktop processors, it is also conceivable that IBM could turn out limited numbers of 970 MPUs that clocked at 2 GHz or higher for high end desktop Macs, an important psychological milestone for Apple?s struggle for survival in an increasingly x86 dominated PC world.

While the MHz boost is purely speculation, Apple is aware of their lagging processor speeds (as compared to Intel/AMD), and IBM's PowerPC 970 is widely expected to be incorporated into PowerMacs as early as later this year.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
yay woo hoo!!! bring on the 970s!

first post...actually my first "first post"

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What's the power consumption of the G4's and G3's, and the Intel P3 mobile cpu's? I would very much like to see a 970 in an ultra-portable 12" Powerbook or iBook form factor: >1.8GHz for any PB or PM, and >1.4GHz for an iBook or iMac. :) If power consumption is even lower than it is now for the G3 and G4's, I hope a 6Hr battery life is possible. That would make my year. :)

*gets down on knees and prays for the very first time*

pimentoLoaf

Contributor
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
By the time they are released, a dual-1.42ghz system with max-RAM will have been on my desk for six to eight months (or more).

Alotta work can get done in half-a-year before advanced toys are released, but until dual-4ghz systems are out -- by... hmmmm... 2005-6? -- they won't really impact the computing world much.

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
Well, I'd much rather see 1.8 ghzs in volume than 2.0 ghzs "paper launched-" what good is announcing a 2.0 GHz if you can't ship very many of them? However, I would be intrigued to see how a 1.2 GHz 970 performs against a 1.25 GHz G4 in all aspects: the standard CPU speed tests, but also battery life tests, since I would see it being a good drop in for a PB.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by Shrek
The day that the 970 makes its debut in new Macintoshes, will be the "flight of the arrow" for Apple and for consumers all around the world! :D

I wouldn't say that quite yet. Technology is VERY unpredictable. ;)

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
Originally posted by Freg3000
I am still praying that the "3rd Quarter" means July 1st. :)

The IBM 970 will kick butt. I can't wait.
Interesting you say July 1st....if you guys look at apples Education main page, they talk about selling imacs and emacs with os9 bootable option on them until june 30th....now this brings up two items: 1) new imac/emac coming soon that will only be os x boot, and 2) new machines possibly? if they end the program right at the end of the 2nd quarter, they've got something up their sleeves. Don't flame me if this is too speculative...this is a rumor site ya know.

I do agree, the 970 will kick alot of butt. I'm going to buy a simple machine at the beginning of college and upgrade to a 970 probably around the beginning of next year (assuming the 970 is the chip of choice and it comes out as planned)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I seriously hope that all Macs come with the 970 cpu. They could just differentiate their pro and consumer lines through processor speeds like in the PC world. If I get an iBook in 1 year, I don't want to be stuck with a G3 1.5Ghz or G4 1.42Ghz processor. I'd like an iBook with a 970, even if its only at 1.2 Ghz.

<understatement> Motorolla sucks </understatement> :D

EDIT TO ADD: Isn't it true that when Apple says "3rd Quarter", they usually mean the end of the quarter (ie: close to the 4th quarter)? I hope not. :(

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2002
Originally posted by Abstract
EDIT TO ADD: Isn't it true that when Apple says "3rd Quarter", they usually mean the end of the quarter (ie: close to the 4th quarter)? I hope not. :(

maybe, but this isn't apple, this is IBM. problem is, once IBM has them coming, how soon will Apple let us have them....

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
All this makes for such a dilema. A Power Mac 450 Mhz with 1.25 MB RAM, that's 2 1/2 years old. Would like one now to take advantage of decrease prices and the use of the cinema display to view DVD's. But have been anxious to have the 970 for the past year, patience.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by locovaca
Well, I'd much rather see 1.8 ghzs in volume than 2.0 ghzs "paper launched-" what good is announcing a 2.0 GHz if you can't ship very many of them? However, I would be intrigued to see how a 1.2 GHz 970 performs against a 1.25 GHz G4 in all aspects: the standard CPU speed tests, but also battery life tests, since I would see it being a good drop in for a PB.

Much like the 1.0+ GHz G3's that have been around for ages...

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by eyeluvmyimac
maybe, but this isn't apple, this is IBM.

Drat! You would mention that. This being IBM, a trickle of slow, buggy chips will be released the last day of Q2 (9/30/03?), and they will cost a fortune. Six months later the errata list and price will go down and the volume up.
:(

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by cubist

Drat! You would mention that. This being IBM, a trickle of slow, buggy chips will be released the last day of Q2 (9/30/03?), and they will cost a fortune. Six months later the errata list and price will go down and the volume up.
:(

Don't be so sure of yourself. Only IBM knows what they will cost, and they're not telling, darnit! :eek:

Dave K

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by dethl

if you guys look at apples Education main page, they talk about selling imacs and emacs with os9 bootable option on them until june 30th....
The June 30th has more to do with the fact that Apple needs to make sure schools can get replacements to the end of the school year. It's also a statement to school boards along the lines of: "Better be prepared to budget for OS X next year".

Not to say that new iMacs, eMacs and other machines aren't coming, because newer, faster, better machines are always in the pipe in this industry...

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Originally posted by Dave K

The June 30th has more to do with the fact that Apple needs to make sure schools can get replacements to the end of the school year. It's also a statement to school boards along the lines of: "Better be prepared to budget for OS X next year".

Not to say that new iMacs, eMacs and other machines aren't coming, because newer, faster, better machines are always in the pipe in this industry...

That is a nice thought...schools switching to OSX. It is true schools are switching...but they are switching to PC's. At one time Apple owned the education market. Today almost all the schools in my state have went with PC's and it is the same every other place. It is real sad, but it is the truth. Apple needs to try and get back into this market that they have pretty much completely lost.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Here's my question/thought: When the 970 is released where will it appear in Apple's family line up?

Personally I can see 2 things happening:

The SLOW TRICKLE
1) only the "Ultimate" Powermac will get the 970 first. Outrageously priced and sweet looking. Within a year Powerbooks will get the 970 boost followed by (maybe a few months?) iMacs then iBooks.

The SLAM-IT-HOME
2) Redesigning the WHOLE powermac line (casing and all) while only the "Faster", "Fastest" and "Ultimate" machines have the 970 while the "Fast" machine has a beefed up G4. 6 months or so (maybe even less?) a powerbook 970 machine with a 970 iMac then finally a 970 iBook.

This is 100% PURE speculation. So why did I post it? Well, for those of us who want to buy a new mac but want a 970 machine might want to go ahead and buy a new machine. It could be a while before it's available and affordable for many of us on a shoestring budget.

Sedulous

Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
Why do some of you believe that the 970 would go into consumer level products so quickly? Unless the 970 is cheaper than the G4 it would seem more likely that the consumer lines will get the G4 (or a super G3) all around while the professional products will get the newest chip.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Yeah, I think it will definitely start inthe powermacs, and slowly
trickle down to the powerbooks, then the consumer lines, and
then the iBooks. :(

;)

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
maybe

is it possible that because it Is "the year of the labtop" that the 1.2 ghz versions will be in the revison of the 15.2 inch model PB? who knows? i don't

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hopefully Apple doesn't decide to go with a 48-bit address version of the 32-bit G4 (though Apple did have the 16-bit/24-bit address chip in the early Macs)...

Otherwise the transition to a 64-bit processor is going to be requested by more and more people as the find out how close they really are to the limits of the current 32-bit address and the 32-bit file system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.