The Absolute Moron’s Guide to President Obama’s Debt Plan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Apr 14, 2011.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

The Absolute Moron’s Guide to President Obama’s Debt Plan

I haven't even seen any talk yet on Obama's speech yesterday, which I find interesting. I didn't get to watch it, so I've been hearing about it from all sorts of sources today. My Facebook has linked to both right-wing and some more left-leaning versions. I thought this version was a pretty funny read though.

Seems like some pretty interesting things were brought up. I think it's very interesting that the new right's poster child, Ryan, didn't even touch the largest budget item out there. Now it just remains to be seen whether any of Obama's ideas WILL get done.

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Obama's speech was amazing. Well worth the watch.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It felt so good to once again hear him fighting for me (us).

Let's hope he doesn't give in.

Now that we're in the next election cycle, I don't think he'll capitulate. He's staked out his political position and I expect him to hold his ground.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Is there a difference in moron and absolute moron? Because that guide did help me understand the budget better, but not as much as I thought.

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

It's so weird how I can go from being severally disappointed in the man, but again feel inspired by just 1 speech.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That speech covered a lot of ground. He staked out an overall philosophical position and not just one based on a specific program.

I was severely disappointed too. But one thing that I think Obama did was to give the republicans enough rope to hang themselves. By not fighting them every step of the way he let them feel emboldened enough to go after Medicare and position themselves outside of the mainstream.

It's long been said that Obama was playing chess while others played checkers. I think with this speech, he proved that to be the case. It's been a long and difficult wait for progressives, but with this speech, Obama proved he's capable of making some shrewd political moves.

7. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I still think he could have gotten more on in Obamacare but other than that, he may have been a few steps ahead of everyone else. Us in the trees have been hoping that was the case.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It's because of this I support the Obama plan over the Ryan plan. It's just so typical of them to do that and I'm really tired of it.

9. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

come on guys....

How long will you let yourself be duped by the snake oil salesman.

Obama has always given a good speech... unfortunately speeches are

about as a far as the convictions go.

10. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Good post. It must be cool seeing " behind the curtain," so to speak. How long have you known Mr. Obama personally? :rolleyes:

11. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

C'mon, they're all snake oil salesmen, the GOP just bamboozled a good portion of the country into voting them in on the promise of job creation. Now they want to ask you to pay more taxes to help out the rich, and you are going to go along with it.... Who's the sucker here?

12. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

You think I am a fan of the GOP? not a chance. I am far left of Obama.

13. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

He is a corporatist.

Keep waiting for Obama to do something actually meaningful. Don't say I didn't tell you so when it doesn't happen.

14. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I'm confused. Obama's says his budget cuts defense spending but in reality it's increasing. So what's the Truth? Is he only talking about combat operations declining?

http://www.ruthgroup.org/2011/03/13...e-budget-not-counting-wars-15-5-over-6-years/

"President Obama’s 2012 budget plan maps out a future of steady increases for the National Defense account (apart from war costs, which the budget presumes will decline). The budget sets the base or peacetime portion of national defense to rise from $551.9 billion in 2010 to $637.6 billion in 2016 – a boost of about 15.5%. This increase exceeds the expected rate of inflation by about seven-tenths of a percent per year."

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's like zero and absolute zero. If one is an absolute moron, then one cannot be any *more* moronic.

16. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Frankly, the United States and its citizens are corporatist. Big whoop.

And "meaningful" is subjective. What's meaningful to someone "far left of Obama" may be something totally different than to a more centrist person who voted for him.

My point was that your vague, baseless mini-rant seemed to say you knew something about Obama's personal beliefs. Regardless of how you want to measure his performance, your comments on his convictions will never be anything more than opinion.

17. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Like the post

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Apparently Vice President Biden is too.

19. R.Perez, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Hmmm... I would say watering down every single one of your campaign promises to little more than slight appeasements is something that anyone who voted for him should be pretty angry about.

ACTIONS speak louder than words.

You have to prove convictions with action, not just campaign rhetoric.

If you think Obama has conviction, why don't you tell that to Bradley Manning?

Real healthcare reform?
    Guantanamo?
    Cutting heating oil subsidies?
    Tax cuts for billionaires?
    same-sex marriage?
    meaningful steps to curb climate change?

I mean give me a break. I understand the political system and the need to "compromise" but lets be real here.

Conviction means really standing up for what's right, even when it's not popular (i.e. same-sex marriage, which most people believe he supports but refuses to admit it because it's not politically expedient)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSdj4Lu_oo8&feature=player_embedded

20. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I think your expectations of what can be accomplished in our political system are unrealistic, and I'll leave it at that. Obama may be able to get more done, or maybe not. But watered-down or otherwise, at least we are moving in the right direction.

21. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Damn right compromise is one thing but Obama and all of the other democrats (lets be fair its ALL of their faults not just Obama's) didn't really manage to accomplish anything.

For two years the democrats owned all three branches of government but for some reason they spent that time trying to appease a group of people who will NEVER support or agree with anything they do.

23. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Looking through that list it doesn't exactly look as if all "promises kept" have been kept yet:

No. 132: No permanent bases in Iraq

No. 449: Raise fuel economy standards

No. 480: Support high-speed rail

No. 483: Invest in public transportation

No. 486: Will seek more accommodations of bicycles and pedestrians

No. 487: Help states and localities address sprawl

Things I don't believe in or care about, never mind the fact that I don't recall him promising these things:

No. 156: Make greater investment in advanced military air technology

No. 134: Send two additional brigades to Afghanistan

No. 503: Appoint at least one Republican to the cabinet

Compromises disguised as promises kept:

No. 51: Require insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions

No. 53: Give tax credits to those who need help to pay health premiums

No. 63: Require health plans to disclose how much of the premium goes to patient care

No. 433: Sign a "universal" health care bill

(wouldn't have been required if a true public heath care program had been instituted)

Stupid and shouldn't be counted:

No. 502: Get his daughters a puppy

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The bottom line for me is that while Obama has been a disappointment he hasn't been what a republican in office would be: a disaster.

I can live with disappointment.

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Is that really fair? If you explained "corporatism" to Americans, in easily digestible words of 3 or fewer syllables, how many of them do you think would still be "corporatists"? Mostly, Americans are lazy and tend to adopt ideologies that represent the least effort and risk.
    Not really sure about that. McCain might have been more or less tolerable because he would not have been attracting so much lightning, and he would have been offset by the Democratic congress. The SCOTUS would probably be looking uglier than it does, but apart from that, "disaster" seems a bit excessive. Now, if you were talking about someone else (like Ron Pawl or Newt Gingrich), maybe so. On the other hand, I thnk the country is in such marginal condition right now overall that things simply cannot be fixed until they become much worse, so a Republican disaster might be the tonic we need.