The Afforable Care Act Replacement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Huntn, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Well the Republican's wet dream for the last 6 years has been the repeal of the ACA, more popularly known as Obamacare, and President-elect Trump ran on it's repeal claiming that he was going to replace it with something fabulous.

Any opinions on how the repeal of the ACA will go down?
    How much are you paying this year as opposed to last year?
    If Trump and the GOP Congress kills the ACA this year, I assume it will be here for this year and be gone next year?

• This year I just signed up for a Health Plan from my large employer at a $1000 per month for 2 people. This is virtually unchanged since the ACA was enacted. It is not associated with the ACA.
    • We have some friends who work for small companies and they just signed up for insurance at $1700 per month (for 2 people). I don't know what they paid last year.
    • My brother whines because his health plan (I have no idea how it stands up to my plan) jumped from $200 to $400.
    How much are you paying for your health insurance?
    Did you buy your insurance through the ACA?

This is my take as far as the Republicans and President Trump do what they said they will do. If they simply kill the ACA without offering a viable affordable alternative, for implementation for next year, they will be in hot water.

There is a desire to have affordable health care, I believe it will be a political movement capable of dethroning politicians who refuse to acknowledge or do anything about the health insurance crisis in this country. Trump was carried forward by a surge of blue collar workers who are demanding he and the establishment make life easier for them. The Trumpets expect this from Trump and the Republicans (the latter who fight this kind of thing tooth and nail). Now is the Republican's big chance to succeed, to counter liberal policies or to fall on their swords.

What makes this all very interesting is that Republicans used to be for things like Universal Health Care, Romney Care, at least they gave it lip service, until Obama showed up and then they screamed like babies and offered no realistic alternatives, just that they did not want the ACA. Now they have their chance and will be able to put up or to die a horrible political death. :D

Final question: Do you think affordable health care is an important issue that will make or break our politicians in Washington DC?

2. AsherN macrumors 6502

The ultimate solution is a universal, not for profit system. Federally mandated and regulated and more locally implemented. At the State level for most of the states. Perhaps at a more regional level for larger states.

What the US needs to do, should have done, is look at the rest of the world and figure ut what works and what does not. I love the Canadian system, it's not perfect but it works. Start there, because it's the closest, with the most similar popultion. Look at somwthing like Sweden, where it's not completely free. There's an annual 'deductible' of a few hundred $$$. Enough that you have to pay for your 2-3 visits to the oc anually, low enough that if you need more care, it won't bankrupt you.

Entirely for-profit healthcare is not sustainable.

3. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

The R's don't have a filibuster proof majority in the Senate, thus they can't quite pass anything they want.

My prediction: They will suffocate the ACA. They'll withhold government funding of the exchanges. They also won't fund any payments to insurance companies to cover losses. The result is that in many states there won't be any insurance companies participating in the exchanges. Trump will issue an executive order to the IRS to not enforce the penalty. This order might come as soon as January 21st and apply to the 2016 tax year.

4. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Our plan, through my wife's employer, actually dropped a bit, starting in December. The employer will kick 5% more than last year and our deductible goes up $200--no big deal as we have young married kids starting families who'll meet the deductible for us. Definitely not Exchange plans. We added dental for about $22/mo.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

How much per month, if you don't mind saying.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I've been seeing people post their premiums, 800-900 a month with 2500 dollar annual deductibles, why even bother.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Damn - that's a lot of bullets!

And I say that as a joke :)

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That system is a non-starter for conservatives.

And they control (or soon will) all three branches of the government.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Seems to be a lot of infighting already in how to replace Obamacare.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/gop-obamacare-rift-231272?cmpid=sf

10. kobalap macrumors 6502

If Trump adds "no caps" due to devastating or chronic illnesses, then he is halfway to Obamacare. To be able to fund those aspects, you need greater participation in the healthcare pool, particularly from they young/healthy. To get that, you might need a mandate. And now, you are 3/4s of the way to Obamacare. The other 1/4 is pretty much window dressing.

The only real alternatives are single payer and unregulated/free market style health care systems. The former can't even be considered a pipe dream. The latter is would get far better support from the Republicans who will control almost every aspect of government.

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

This is easy. Stop paying for ******** projects like the F35 and give that trillion into medicaid for all. Dissolve medicare, and the VA and pool that money into medicaid as well.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Wait, you pay upwards of a thousand dollars A MONTH for health care!?!?

I was annoyed when my private cover went above A$100 a month.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I exepect it to be the ACA with a new name, the only other option that won't cause everyone to throw out the Republicans when they lose their health coverage is a single payer system which is unlikely, but the Republicans have never been particularly consistent about anything other than opposing Democrats so if it came from one of their own it might fly.

15. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I have an Aetna Premium plan through my employer and pay $390 per month for a family of 4. It went up $10 from last year.
    We have a reasonable $2,800 annual deductible. We usually hit that by mid year as my daughter's Epi-Pens cost a fortune ($700 a set). She needs 2 for home, 2 for school and 2 to carry with her when she's not at home or school and they need to be replaced every year.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That sounds like a very reasonable plan.

But you do understand that your employer is paying a very large proportion of your family's total annual health care costs, right? That Family ABC, that was identical to yours in every way, couldn't call up Aetna Premium and buy a similar plan for $390 per month.

It would probably cost five to ten times as much.

Not everybody in this country works for a company that subsidizes their healthcare costs. That's the reality. A lot of people have part-time jobs that offer zero benefits. Some people are unemployed. Some people are self-employed.

Those are the people that the ACA was designed to help.

17. pat500000, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016

pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Honestly, Trump can't fully repeal ACA/Obamacare without having replacement or some sort. Until he comes up with a new act, I figure he would modify about 99.5 percent of the Obamacare and leave the remaining as is. Those clients with pre-existing conditions can't left alone with no coverage.

18. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Paul Ryan and friends do have a health care proposal intended as an ACA replacement: http://abetterway.speaker.gov/?page=health-care

It keeps the exclusions on pre-existing conditions, the subsidies still exist in the form of age-based tax credits, small businesses and individuals can join collectives to get group rates, it bans rescission, and you can buy policies across state lines. It's a far cry from single payer, which is what this country badly needs, but it isn't a horrible plan, either.

But that's what House Republicans say they want. Nobody knows what Trump will be on board with, what changes he wants, and what won't be subject to a Democratic filibuster.

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

IMO the only way to have a 'beautiful' plan is to have a single payer plan. :(

20. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

The bigger issue is that we are long overdue some universal healthcare. Democrats and Republicans need to start working for the people again and implement it.

Healthcare in other 1st world countries is a citizen's right where here in America it is just another way to make money which is disgusting.

21. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Not going to happen.

22. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

People said the same thing about Trump. But he won. Since the universe is in bazzaro mode, perhaps we will get universal healthcare.

23. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Yeah, I agree. One day...

24. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Just depended on who you were listening to. Drudge was tapped into a university polling system that called Trump starting last February and never wavered.

If you get your news and social opinions from the left media, then you won't have any idea what Trump will really do, as they will stay in denial for at least another year.

25. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Oh, come on! NOBODY has any idea what Trump will really do, as he's been on both sides of every issue at one time or another. He's perfected the science of feeding the crowd in front of him what it wants to hear, and in doing so, has made all sorts of contradictory statements.

(Moreover, he's always said that he's a negotiator, that he likes to be unpredictable, and that he doesn't ever reveal his secrets. So it would be kinda crazy for someone to say today that they know what Trump will do tomorrow...)