The after the election thread...thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AlliFlowers, May 10, 2016.

1. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

After what will seem like an eternity, the election will be over and we will have a new president. Regardless of who is elected, we will need new non-election things to discuss.

For example:

North Korea, will they self-destruct, or declare war on South Korea, the US, or some other country?
    Will all the Arab extremist parties merge or begin to fight amongst themselves - IS, Al Qaida, Boko Haram, Hezbollah, etc.
    Should education continue to be compulsory?
    If everyone is given access to college, what will be the difference between high school and college?

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I, for one, will say that I positively loathe the seemingly eternal nature of the US Presidential election process. I recognize its an important job; one that affects just about every facet of American life. But somewhere along the way we turned it into ridiculous circus.

Personally, I think there are a number of serious issues that our political leaders are going to have to deal with. Sooner or later. And - frankly - sooner would be better.

1) We're running out of water. Not just the drought that's parching California. But Lake Meade is only a few feet from the point where they'll have to shut down Hoover Dam. The Ogallala aquifer, which irrigates much of the corn belt, is running dry. Everywhere you look, you see a looming disaster that poses a far more serious threat than wild-eyed ISIS nut jobs ever could.

2) Self-driving cars will be here, probably sooner than we expect. That is going to fundamentally change the way many Americans deal with cars, commuting, parking, car ownership, etc. Its also going to fundamentally change law enforcement in this country.

3) Income equality is bad now. Its going to get worse unless we do some tinkering with our tax system. Not necessarily to deal with the problem via wealth transfer; but right now we have a tax system that incentivizes short-term payouts over the sort of investment that makes all of society richer.

4) We need to think carefully about how we deal with a China that is rising not just economically, but also militarily. We don't want to slip into a new Cold War in the Pacific. But we don't want to let China create a political hegemony over half the world's population and economy. And do all that without busting our budget.

5) We need to rethink education in this country. Traditional four-year college is the answer for many. But we'd all be better off if we revamped our educational system to provide training that equipped the roughly 50% that don't go to 4-year university with the skills they - and our society - need for the 21st century. We need to provide a career path for plumbers, electricians, landscapers, construction workers, welder, and home healthcare workers.

I wish the Presidential Candidates were talking about some of these issues, rather than the nonsense I hear about walls and breaking up banks.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

My guess is we will have a month after the election until we start seeing threads dedicated to the 2020 election. If we get really lucky it might be a month after Inauguration.

4. ActionableMango, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016

ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Considering what's going on and who we've ended up with as our candidates, I'm pretty sure the election will continue to be talked about well after it is over.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Education should always be encouraged but without full reform (cost/quality/incentive), especially retroactive to the great recession that has made a ton of hurt for students/parents/workers. America will fall behind as a result, and since we are not #1 on the list of developed nations on any number of issues... but we'll continue to give gobs of corporate welfare to the supply side and pretend there's no problem, it's all good.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. the war has never been over.
    2. continue to kill each other with the help of U.S arms/bombs/money.
    3 sadly yes, look who the leading nominees are, is this the best America has to offer?

4 when Trump wins, it will be non stop comedy on the networks

5 if Hillary steals it, things will be the same as under Bush/Obama, just more genocide of brown people in the M-E while liberals thank the flying spaghetti monster that it's not a republican doing the killing as that would be somehow worse, all death & destruction is acceptable as long as we try and take in some refugees, in their mind that is better than ending the wars.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The election will end in November and I will still have a job, my wife will still be Dr. lowendlinux, she'll still roll her eyes when I bring up switching her from OS X. My daughter will have turned 11 and she'll tell me all about the games she plays don't run on Linux and I'll listen to the ladies and maintain their crappy computers o_O

Our friendly neighborhood terrorists will continue to kill people we don't care about and we'll continue to wring our hands and talk about how we ought to fix the issue. Dr. Merkel will still run Europe, none of the rest of Europes "leaders" will contradict her because of the German economy supports them.

Putin will still go about recreating the USSR we'll do nothing while he goes about it because we don't want war and we need a nation state to call evil.

The ME will turn continue to turn into a hellhole and we'll do nothing about it because oil, and its too hard to shun our dependency.

China will remain a threat not because of its blue water navy and not for some silly islands but because it owns enough of our debt to have a say..

Nothing will change because we elect a new head to president but because we don't have the intestinal fortitude to actually do anything about our problems .

8. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Some good ideas coming in this thread. I do hope we don't start discussing the next election the day this one is over....

This one is near and dear to my heart. I believe my father would still be alive if we already had self-driving cars.

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

This is a first, having an after election thread 7 months before the election.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To be honest, I'm more worried about the water issue than anything else. It is still bad here in California. No matter what anyone else tells you or assumes to believe that because it rained here once during the drought, that we're no longer in a drought. It is still bad.

Lake Mead is worse. Living part-time in Vegas as well, I've seen the levels of Lake Mead drop scaringly. I remember driving to the marina behind the Hoover Dam Lodge (was Hacienda, was Gold Spike), and.. well... if you google map or google earth it, you can see the lighter shades of shale, rock, and limestone on the land and the sides of the dam/river. That's where the water level was... in 1998 when I moved there.

Ogallala.. Big Mac (Lake McConaughy) in Nebraska.. the Platte River feeds that lake, which serves all of the Great Plains farms west of the Missouri River. The Platte is already 'dry' to begin with (it's a flat river, hence its name), unsuitable for anything like canoeing. so seeing that river getting drier than it already is is concerning, because it's that part of the country that gives us most of our dairy and agriculture, outside of California. In short, no water = no food = no life, regardless of political affiliation; we can't argue or debate if we aren't alive to argue or debate.

Cynical, but true. Except for games on Linux. Install Slackware (it just works! ;) ) and get her a Steam account.

BL.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

There is a current events and a community discussion forum, too. Many interesting discussion topics right now.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I have better things to do than

./configure
    make
    make install

My daughter is a bit of a nerd I don't imagine it'll be to long before she want to use Linux it'll just take someone other than her dad to convince her. She already told me she wants to program games at 11 I wanted to be Tony Hawk so I figure she's doing better than me.

13. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

And while you're suffering from lack of water, people are drowning in their back yards from the midwest to the shallow south. It's crazy.
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2016 ---
    Maybe she can do some educational aids. :D

14. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Many high schools offer vocational training to their students as well as offer ROTC. My school offered these programs when I was of school age and now the school my children attend offers these programs. My wife's school offered these programs as well and her brother went into the military under ROTC, they paid for him to attend a 4 year state college. So I ask, are these schools out of the norm or are people just not aware? I honestly do not know, it is a real question.

I have a feeling you will hear more about this. I know you are not a Trump fan but I would expect him to take this up more-so than Hillary as this is his platform.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You still have to tackle security to stop terrorists from hacking them, plus you need to be able to set sensible speed limits, when even Washington DC has the wrong limit on its beltway.

Automated autonomous braking and other similar technologies would probably have saved your father too.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

My high school did (and still does) offer some vocational training, along with ROTC. They are still offering wood shop, some electrical classes, auto mechanics classes, and.. wow.. even some vocational classes that weren't offered when I was there: sewing, plastics, etc.

Call me the ever so outsider looking in, but I wish that we could follow some of the methods I saw in Australia. What I mean by that is this. In our 4-year university system, we have to take all of the courses related to our major and minor, along with those general education requirements needed to graduate. For example, a Computer Science major would still need to take a micro or macro-economics class, let alone 2 - 3 years of English.

Down there, those general education requirements that we have in Uni are given at the high school level. I'm not talking the equivalent of our AP classes, but that those general education requirements are met at the high school level, that they do not need to be taken at the university level. You are given the classes geared toward your major, and if done well, you could graduate with your degree in 2 - 3 years.

Benefits of that are two fold; First, you are getting a more well-rounded and solid education at the high school level, and second, it reduces the cost of a university education, which reduces the amount of debt a college graduate attains throughout their university career. win-win-win.

BL.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

She may shock you by learning FreeBSD.

18. jerwin macrumors 65816

On January 21, 2017, Hillary Clinton will be a Lame Duck President.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Ahh, FreeBSD. The OS for people who want to use their computer to run a server as efficiently as possible, and...

...er...

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

[​IMG]

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yep, and we will need to wait until the voters have their say in 2020 before we can hold hearings on a Supreme Court Nominee.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Its not just a thread. Its a thread thread.

23. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Our system offers both. But they don't replace anything. When I was in h.s. (back in the dark ages), trade school was where you went instead of school so that you didn't have to take the usual required classes. We had no JROTC then, but I did regular ROTC in college. Today JROTC replaces a unit of PE.

So those students who need something outside of traditional school don't gain anything from trade school or JROTC.

What we need to do is dismantle NCLB.

Right. We just want to list the threads we'll create when we're done beating the dead horse of an election. ;)

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Leaving out the suspenders, that will probably be me several decades from now.

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The system does weed out the weak candidates.

My hope is that China finally gets fed up before anything really bad happens.

Yes, but, only if it is education.

There are a large number of people who are not college material. But, many/most of those people can learn non-academic skills through apprenticeship and other programs. Unfortunately, vocational programs have all but disappeared in many states.

Someone mentioned Australia -- my impression is that people on average are better educated in high school than in most of the U.S. I'm not sure quite how they do it.

“Water, water, water....There is no shortage of water in the desert but exactly the right amount , a perfect ratio of water to rock, water to sand, insuring that wide free open, generous spacing among plants and animals, homes and towns and cities, which makes the arid West so different from any other part of the nation. There is no lack of water here unless you try to establish a city where no city should be.” -- Edward Abbey

There is exactly the right amount of water in the desert. At some point, lawns will disappear west of the 100th meridian (except in Oregon and Washington west of the Cascades). Beef will get more expensive -- probably better for our health.

I hope the people working on this are really, really into safety. It will save a lot of lives, but, lots of people will die due to bugs, undetected hardware failures, failures due to incorrect or insufficient specification of requirements, and general optimistic assumptions. Yes, overall, save lives I'm sure, but, there will be lots of failures, and, everyone will pretend that they are "surprised".

This is something we can fix. We just have to stop getting distracted by Ayn-Rand-ism and raise taxes on wealth and flatten wages. It worked before and it would work again.

And, don't forget about Russia. Putin's growing unpredictability plays well in Russian politics, but, is a threat to world peace. And, at the same time, we are toying with electing Trump? A world where Trump and Putin are playing games is a very dangerous world.

The fraction who actually graduate from a 4-year college is more like 30% rather than 50%. I think a lot of people are spending too much time and money on college when they should be learning skills and trades.

Walls, I gree. But, excessive consolidation in the financial industry is destabilizing, and, serves no purpose for consumers -- growth of monopolies. We need to break up banking monopolies just like any other monopoly-- which we don't do any more.

At least you can tell yourself you are needed. ;)

We can start by not electing Trump.

Yes, the drought will continue out west, despite a little rain from time to time. I hope you don't like beef -- it is the most water-intensive common food, and the price will inevitably go up.

West of the 100th meridian, things will gradually return to their natural state -- mostly desert.

Be happy you have access to all the source code. Hasn't always been that way. ;)