The American revolt against established politics, rise of Nationalism.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Oct 29, 2018.

1. PracticalMac, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The American revolt against established politics.

It is pretty obvious now, with polls of congress single digit positive results, the US has deep distrust of Congress.
    That distrust is how Ted Cruz was #2 in Republican Primary behind #45.
    Also why a large number of Democratic voters rejected Hillary.

Also obvious is some reasons:
    • Fear of jobs taken by immigrants (illegal or otherwise), despite record low unemployment.
    • Wage stagnation, despite an otherwise strong growth.
    • Blaming renewable energy (mainly wind) for coals decline, despite fracking being actual cause.
    • Fear of foreign imports, despite the fact many goods cannot be produced in US (several reasons).
    • Medical cost/access, despite the ACA introducing significant protections (not that it is perfect)
    • US deficit is rapidly increasing despite a very good growth this year.

Americans want action, but to "fix" some of the issues requires direct action by congress, enact rules that Republicans are abhorrent to do (meddle with a free market).
    Conversely the barriers to immigration is something Democrats and even some Republicans in agricultural heavy states that heavily rely on immigrant labor (like Florida) are opposed to.

IMHO, #45 is simply a symptom of a massive realignment of politics in America that has been building for decades, he just is a visible indicator of that change.
    I fully expect the 2020 election will see an even greater realignment of positions than 2016 and even 2018.
    The power of the Presidency has enormously expanded under #45, and one can only think of what Henry Kissinger said.

PS: These fears of loosing control, or rights, is why the pro-gun crowd is more powerful than ever too. Any candidate who runs on more gun regulation will loose.

2. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

In September 1938 Professor Halford E. Luccock of the Divinity School of Yale University warned that fascism might be disguised as “Americanism”: When and if fascism comes to America it will not be labeled “made in Germany”; it will not be marked with a swastika; it will not even be called fascism; it will be called, of course, “Americanism”…

3. samcraig macrumors P6

There's a difference between patriotism and nationalism.

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

"Patriotism having become one of our topics, Johnson suddenly uttered, in a strong, determined tone, an apothegm, at which many will start: 'Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.' But let it be considered, that he did not mean a real and generous love of our country, but that pretended patriotism which so many, in all ages and countries, have made a cloak for self-interest. I maintained that certainly all patriots were not scoundrels. "

Posted by WaPo, way, way, WAY back in 17 May 2001, even before 9/11!!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 29, 2018 ---
    Difference between patriotism and patriotism too. (see above)

5. BoxerGT2.5, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I would argue that "establishment" in todays context means middle of the road, compromise, reach across the aisle politics in favor of "My side needs to win". American political tribalism if it continues to go unchecked will ultimately sink us all. Both parties are becoming more radical and one party practically controls higher ed, so they're cultivating generation after generation a group of individuals who don't know how to react to an opposing point of view other than to shut it out and outlaw it. The future looks grim.

6. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I would say that is in addition to the realignment of political views.

7. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Agreed; prior to the mid-90s both sides were able to compromise (think Reagan and Tip O'Neill). Things got bad with Gringrich and have gotten steadily worse since; personally I think that it worsened after the "sweep" of the so-called "Tea Party". It was/is a group that does not know how/absolutely refuses to negotiate and compromise.

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Yet every time the parties agreed nothing changed or got worse for the average citizen. Perhaps four decades of that ******** was one too long to keep the charade under the covers.

It’s no secret most people think both parties are bought and paid for by the ultra wealthy and corporate paymasters. Hell the “non political” (ha!) Supreme Court legalized bribery in this very decade.

Just how many “biggest tax cuts in history” for the ultra wealthy and corporations got passed in the last two decades alone?

9. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

None; the biggest advocate of cutting taxes on corporations and the wealth was (one of the worst presidents in my lifetime) Reagan and his belief in "trickle-down" (voodoo) economics.

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

J
    ...Bush didn’t pass a massive tax cut on the wealthy? Obama didn’t foolishly concede into making 1/3 of the stimulus tax cuts to the wealthy? Trump didn’t just do the same damn thing?

In the last 40 years it’s been a one way street for wealth accumulation at the upper echelons of society, that trend has never been broken in any meaningful way regardless of the party in power.

11. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

You got me ... I misread what you had posted.

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Ah no worries, I know my posts can be a bit hard to read if you don’t know where I’m coming from.

I think we’re right in line on Reagan and voodoo economics, which we’ve carried forward ever since.

13. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Exactly, and will attack the opponent with slanderous rumors and conspiracy theories to an oblivion for even challenging and attempting to go against the flow and finding a compromise; incite anger from the populace.

14. PracticalMac, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

15. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

An after thought, I posted years ago about the demise of Republican party.
    Well, to be true I should have said Reagan Era GOP. I doubt Reagan would recognize it today.

16. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Or be accepted by them. Same for Goldwater.

17. jerwin macrumors 68020

Trump’s Nationalism Is Breaking Point for Some Suburban Voters, Risking G.O.P. Coalition

That's good to hear.

Of course, I'm not complacent-- my district is safe; Kaine has fifteen point lead over Stewart, but Barbara Comstock, (in the neighboring district) needs a pink slip.