The Anti-Free-Speech Movement at UCLA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrankieTDouglas, Oct 15, 2015.

1. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/10/the-anti-free-speech-movement-at-ucla/410638/

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is the product of raising kids who think they have a right not to be offended.

3. sim667 macrumors 65816

There's no such thing as free speech..... Charlie Hebdo has shown us that.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Kids got their panties in a bunch over other kids..there's a shock

The administration should have told them to suck it up.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Have we become so hypersensitive pansy ass people?

Coming to a delivery room near you 2016:

[​IMG]

6. citizenzen, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm digging into the issue, trying to figure out what's going on before reflexively reacting. I ran across this news item from the Sigma Phi Epsilon national site ...
    And more from the fraternity's national site ...

This is interesting because the Atlantic article says that it was UCLA that is at fault.
    Yet we have the national fraternal organization doing exactly the same thing, asking to temporarily suspend the fraternity pending further investigation and gathering of facts. So how is UCLA wrong for doing the same thing that the fraternity wants itself?

I'm also trying to get a better understanding of what is entailed when a fraternity is under suspension. While I haven't found the specifics yet, I did run across this article from the Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors, a national organizations representing fraternities and sororities, "in response to the recent fallout from the Rolling Stone article regarding the student and institutional responses to sexual assault at the University of Virginia" ...
    From everything I've seen, the charge that UCLA is violating free speech rights by placing the fraternity on suspension without due process is an overblown claim.

Ironically, it would seem that one sides peevish outrage is spawning reciprocal peevish outrage from the other side in a seemingly endless cycle of idiotic oversensitivity.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It is the product of a spineless managerial class controlling the universities, not the students, who are young and prone to make mistakes that their elders shouldn't.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's a bit of column A, column B. The elders should be the first to stand against it, but at the same time, this recent collegiate trend of demanding an offense free safety zone, and punishing those who violate it isn't exactly a healthy attitude.

Part of growing up is understanding that people will say things you won't appreciate. Part of living in a free country is realizing that people are allowed to do things you don't personally approve of. The foundation of a strong citizenry is the basic understanding that not everyone will be of a like mind.

You can complain about things, and you can criticize, but you cannot curtail things just because you find them offensive.

9. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

I want to invest in midol & then pass laws that force feed it into people as soon as they wake up so the chances of them being insulted are diminished :p

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

We have seen linked writings telling how students have surpassed the dogma espoused by leftist professors in academia, and as such, are assailing the professors for insufficiently towing the line.

But there was quite an article advancing that the millennials have been wussified by play dates, helicopter parents, trophies for showing up, tag being too tough a game on the psyche, etc.

« Generation Wuss » by the gay author Bret Easton Ellis.

http://m.vanityfair.fr/culture/livre/articles/generation-wuss-by-bret-easton-ellis/15837

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's been a couple of days since I've read the article, but from the way it made things sound, it was more the rumor that some of the students went in blackface that set some people off.

13. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, you mean the people who dressed as coal minors, in reference to the "Gold Digger" song? Apparently blue collar workers all across Kentucky and West Virginia are practicing blackface every day, then. Somewhere, the distinction between a black face, and blackface, got lost.

So now we have people going out of their way to appropriate something entirely unrelated to them, in order to be offended...

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

I was more referring to the fact that you left out, most likely intentionally, the one thing that people are actually angered over, instead choosing to make it sound like people are upset over just a Kanye West-themed party. Because, you know, that helps your "look at all these people offended over literally nothing" slant. Whether what they are offended over is legitimate or not, your OP made it sound like they were offended simply over a party where people dressed up like Kanye and Kim, which is a total Fox News-style tactic.

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

They just gotta lighten up. No wonder a lot of comedians no longer play the college circuit. Black comedians included.

16. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't even know what you're talking about now. I posted the leading paragraphs of the article, with a link so someone could read the whole thing. The title of the post was even the title used for the article. There's nothing even remotely similar to attempting to hide something there.

Fact is, the point still stands. People ARE offended over literally nothing. If you can find something in there offensive, then you should get a degree in creative writing, because your abilities at fiction are marvelous.

17. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

French satirical weekly magazine

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I work with some academics from time to time, but, I don't interact very much with college undergrads, so, I don't really have a good feel for how widespread this is. I will certainly agree that the last thing you want for a functional university is for the entire place to be a "safe zone"-- safe from all intellectual controversies and challenges. I think it is good for elementary school to be a safe zone; apparently there is no other way for childhood to exist. Middle school I have mixed feelings about. By the time you get to 10th grade (15-16 in the U.S.), it is time to make the transition. How prevalent is this demand of students to be infantilized today? It sure wasn't that way back in day-- everybody wanted to grow up as fast as possible. Times change.

19. citizenzen, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Infantilized is the wrong word. For the most part, these kids are just as mature and capable as my generation when we were going to college. The institutions have become a bit cautious when it comes to activities and behaviors that could reflect badly on the university, or lead to lawsuits, and so there is less tolerance for these kinds of things.

A couple of years ago, the university where I work cancelled both the men's and women's soccer season because of hazing which involve alcohol. It's impossible to say whether those kinds of incidents would have been tolerated or not, but we've all lived through enough experiences to know that these aren't the kinds of acts that should be just winked at and ignored, especially when they involve organizations officially tied to the university.

20. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

People still definitely want to grow up as soon as possible, nothing has changed. On one hand people say that kids these days are all doing drugs and having sex and then on the other people say they're all coddled and shielded from the world. Seems like people will just use whichever talking point fits their middle-aged narrative that day.

I'm probably younger than anyone on PRSI (21) and I don't recall a "everybody gets a trophy" mentality when I was a kid, nor pretty much any of the stuff people talk about when this subject comes up. I recall bullying, cliques, people calling each other "fag" and other slurs, drugs/alcohol and smoking in middle school, etc.

Kids are being "infantilized" today? Ha. The only time I hear about this stuff is from old people trying to fit a narrative to a time in which they didn't grow up. It just reeks of "get off my lawn!" to me, but that's just my opinion.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

More than just your opinion. I've seen plenty of examples of it in my 54 years. I think it's important to recognize these natural biases and to try to eliminate as many as we can from our thought process.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given alcohol is illegal for under 21s hazing puts your college in a tough spot.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

True. But likewise, how many of the parties in the OP were underage? My guess would be ... a lot.