Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
England
I've been using a 12" powerbook since April and have really enjoyed the portability, having adjusted well to the screen size.

However, i've had my eye on an extra monitor for a while now. I think it would be benificial not only for my eyes but also to get the best of both world's, so that back at home i've got a big screen waiting for me.

I also know that i'd like the 20" apple screen, and none other. I've explored all others including dell and having seen the apple display first hand my hearts been set on it, whatever the price difference.

I love the current model offered as it is, i can't really see myself needing anything more than it provides. Yet i can't help think that if i buy it they will be updated soon after.

Basically, in my situation (totally besotted by the current model) would you have any reservations for going out and bringing it home? It's just that this will be quite an expenditure for me, and just would love to hear your views.

Thanks in advance.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Sound like you already made the decision.

If you like it, and it fits your needs and budget, then buy and enjoy. Everything gets upgraded at some point. They did just have a price drop on displays, so that is a plus.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
England
i guess i have kinda made my mind up.

Plus, at lest with this model i 'know' what im getting which is important.

From the relevant threads i've found, the displays sound good qualitly and a pleasure to use.

im going to order it.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
hmmmm

Ashapalan said:
I've been using a 12" powerbook since April and have really enjoyed the portability, having adjusted well to the screen size.

However, i've had my eye on an extra monitor for a while now. I think it would be benificial not only for my eyes but also to get the best of both world's, so that back at home i've got a big screen waiting for me.

I also know that i'd like the 20" apple screen, and none other. I've explored all others including dell and having seen the apple display first hand my hearts been set on it, whatever the price difference.

I love the current model offered as it is, i can't really see myself needing anything more than it provides. Yet i can't help think that if i buy it they will be updated soon after.

Basically, in my situation (totally besotted by the current model) would you have any reservations for going out and bringing it home? It's just that this will be quite an expenditure for me, and just would love to hear your views.

Thanks in advance.

>>> Well if you really are set on the Apple...not much to say. Obviously, looks are your priority. I too think the Apple displays are beautiful. Yet...for me, I want performance..so I bought the Dell 24". Just in case you *are* interested...Go to barefeats.com..an **Apple enthusiast** site!..and read their Apple 23" vs Dell 24" lcd article. The Dell is a superior performing monitor vs the 23" Apple...AND...with a Dell coupon costs..$779...AND.. it's bigger. One inch doesn't sound like much, but in reality...it is. Unfortunately, yesterday the latest batch of Dell coupons expired, BUT...the coupons will come around again...relatively soon. ...if you're interested. You could get the Dell and a new Ipod....for the price of the Apple display. :) Good luck...

PS:Either are MUCH better than the 20" Apple. So the Dell 24" HD monitor is basically the same price as the nonHD Apple 20. Are you SURE you want the Apple 20???

md11

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
I've got the setting you're talking about and I'm really happy with it.

The question is what the specs/difference of the new model will be; anything you need or just nice to have?
If you need it wait, if you want it now and don't need it - get it now. Gives you the option to sell it again and then doing an upgrade..
md11

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
England
md11 said:
I've got the setting you're talking about and I'm really happy with it.

The question is what the specs/difference of the new model will be; anything you need or just nice to have?
If you need it wait, if you want it now and don't need it - get it now. Gives you the option to sell it again and then doing an upgrade..
md11

yeh, i wont be using it for professional apps (yet) so im sure it will be more than adequate for me.

it's a setup i really do aspire to.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
value....

Ashapalan said:
yeh, i wont be using it for professional apps (yet) so im sure it will be more than adequate for me.

it's a setup i really do aspire to.

>>Sorry, but this kinda blows me a way. You would rather buy a 1680rez 20" monitor at $800... than a 1920rez 24" monitor for $779. ??? wow.
Apple marketing is GOOOOODDDD! Good luck...

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
England
jaduffy108 said:
>>Sorry, but this kinda blows me a way. You would rather buy a 1680rez 20" monitor at $800... than a 1920rez 24" monitor for $779. ??? wow.
Apple marketing is GOOOOODDDD! Good luck...

here in england, the a 24" dell is over 900 pounds.

Well out of my range
I'm looking at the 20", and the dell equivilant is the same price (including ed discount). Yeh, paying the same price id get the apple display.

i didnt ever mention the 23".

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Ashapalan said:
here in england, the a 24" dell is over 900 pounds.

Well out of my range
I'm looking at the 20", and the dell equivilant is the same price (including ed discount). Yeh, paying the same price id get the apple display.

>>>England?...oops... the dell coupons aren't "good" except in the US (i think). Regardless...sounds like you only buy Apple anyway.

peace

cepler

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
Columbus, OH
20" Dell and 20" Apple use the same panel. Dell can be had for $389.

Dell 24" can be purchased for $800.

The only Apple display I'd consider would be the 30" but at $2200-$2500, it's a bit pricy.

And something to consider when considering LCD monitors is the VESA mount. Don't get stuck on a particular stand and dismiss a monitor due to this because you can put some REALLY nice mounts on these monitors, Dell OR Apple.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Buy the big dell.

One big advantage i that you can

DVI - APPLE MAC

and

VGA - xBox 360

So you can enjoy full widescreen high definition on both machines on the same diplay.

DELL UK price now 600 notes!!!!!

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Unless I'm wrong, seems like a lot of macrumors memebers prefer the Dell 24" over the Apple 23" based on price and quality.

For me, I just ordered the Apple 23" since I like the look and design. But that's just me.

The price of the 20" display is not bad. So when are you gonna get it? :rolleyes:

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
England
Eevee said:
Unless I'm wrong, seems like a lot of macrumors memebers prefer the Dell 24" over the Apple 23" based on price and quality.

For me, I just ordered the Apple 23" since I like the look and design. But that's just me.

The price of the 20" display is not bad. So when are you gonna get it? :rolleyes:

I'll be ordering on the 1st of december. =Looks like it will arrive fairly soon as well which will be great. Can't wait.

I have two more questions... firstly,

when you mirror, will the external screen only support the laptop screens native resolution (i,e 1024 by 768 in my case)?

and also, when dual screening, is there any way to set it so that the external screen is considered the main display? (so that such things as desktop folders, and app menus are on the external rather than the small laptop screen) ?

thanks for advice so far.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
Ashapalan said:
when you mirror, will the external screen only support the laptop screens native resolution (i,e 1024 by 768 in my case)?

and also, when dual screening, is there any way to set it so that the external screen is considered the main display? (so that such things as desktop folders, and app menus are on the external rather than the small laptop screen) ?

Yes and yes. See System Preferences -> Displays when you have the external plugged in.

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
I've been quite happy with my 20" ACD, perfect compliment to a Mac with the built in Firewire/USB hubs. It's really nice quality, no corners cut - solid base and aluminium shell. I can see why it costs a little more than the equiv DELL -- but its all personal choice really.

Although, even with the price advantage.. i really couldnt see me being happy with a PowerMac and a DELL monitor in black :confused: -- kinda puts a dampner on the idea of buying into a 'designer' brand like Apple. :p

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
When you mirror, the big screen has the exact same resolution of the iBook, and you the exact same thing as on the ibook screen. But there is a hack to support dual monitors. Look for it on google and you have found it in a minute. The hack is made by a German dude, don't know how it is called however. The same hack is also for an iMac.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
Dreadnought said:
When you mirror, the big screen has the exact same resolution of the iBook, and you the exact same thing as on the ibook screen. But there is a hack to support dual monitors. Look for it on google and you have found it in a minute. The hack is made by a German dude, don't know how it is called however. The same hack is also for an iMac.
The original poster has a 12" PowerBook. No hack needed.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Ashapalan said:

Well, like others I have to recommend the Dell 24". It is a very good price performer. If you really want the Apple display, though, this is a good time to get one as the prices were dropped not too long. Even if they release new displays tomorrow, it would be a higher price point in my estimation. The deal you're looking at won't be superceded for at least a few months.

Of course, I disclaim all responsibility if it is.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Sorry, my mistake! Also, I want to buy a new 23" and also got some info here in these forums. A couple of people say to wait untill MWSF in January, if you can! They probably will update the display by then. I think better/higher resolution is on the way! Look at the new powerbooks which gotten a better display, the same with the iMac. Speaking of which, I also heard that the current screen in the iMac 20" is better then the 20" ACD. If that's true, Apple will update it soon!

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Ashapalan,

If you go with the ACD and order it from the online store, you could save yourself 10% by paying with an Egg Money card (you get 10% cash back).

I also have a 12" PowerBook and was very tempted to buy the 20" ACD. Almost did (could have had it for £500 with the Egg deal), but then decided on a 17" refurbished iMac instead. This worked out at a rather lovely £620 with the cashback deal and refurb discounts, so i've effectively paid an extra £120 and got a whole new computer rather than just a display :)

I still prefer the look of the Aluminium ACD to the iMac, but this seemed to be better value for money, what with the SuperDrive etc. I work from home so I've got my iMac set up next to my work laptop in my 'office' and use my PowerBook for lounging in the evenings! Anyway... food for thought perhaps?

Ignore all the Dell comments - they're ugly as sin! - and go with the ACD (or iMac) idea ;) But definitely get yourself an Egg card.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I have a 12'' PB, and really love it. I thought the perfect companion for it would be a 20'' ACD for it. They really are beautiful. Was all excited, got it home, hooked up, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse ready etc.

Began to notice that it made the fan on my PB run at full throttle all the time. Even when the display was asleep. This rather annoyed me.

After a few short days I realized I simply liked typing on my PB a lot better than a regular keyboard, and liked the minimalist style the 12'' PB takes while on the desk. Only one power cord vs. a bunch with the 20'' display. I have rather limited space so I ended up returning the 20'' ACD.

I think I just rushed the decision a bit. Nothing against the display, it looked really great, but it just wasn't what I need at the time. I think if a second display is what you want, the 20'' ACD is a great choice. The style and quality is very good.

PS. Beware of dead pixels though. They do happen, and are a rather big bummer.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Wait til january, and then get a 23" wich is so amazing, you should also be able to run a ps3 at fullHD res with it...

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
England
dietcokevanilla said:
Ashapalan,

If you go with the ACD and order it from the online store, you could save yourself 10% by paying with an Egg Money card (you get 10% cash back).

Ignore all the Dell comments - they're ugly as sin! - and go with the ACD (or iMac) idea ;) But definitely get yourself an Egg card.

would this cashback pile up with the ed discount?

Thanks for the opinions all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.