The application “Install Norton Security.app” can’t be opened.

mpc91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
UK
ever since i upgraded to the latest version of Mojave i cannot open Norton or re install it

please help.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
...that is, most who post here don't recommend installing Norton AV or any other AV program unless someone is dictating that you have to.
It depends on your definition of "most". A small group of your buddies who argued for weeks in two threads about how you never need to use an AV program on a Mac doesn't fit the normal definition.

Reactions: Riwam

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
You're better off that it WON'T open.
You don't need Norton no mo'

To paraphrase another guy:
"It's a bag o' hurt..."

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
It depends on your definition of "most". A small group of your buddies who argued for weeks in two threads about how you never need to use an AV program on a Mac doesn't fit the normal definition.
My definition of "most" in this case means my experience of 11 years on this forum noticing that the vast majority of posts on this topic have been from people who make the same statement as above, namely that no current virus for macOS exists in the wild.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
My definition of "most" in this case means my experience of 11 years on this forum noticing that the vast majority of posts on this topic have been from people who make the same statement as above, namely that no current virus for macOS exists in the wild.
I thought that two long threads in which every user with courage enough to say or even hint that he/she felt better with AV running in his/her mac... was bombed by countless "old mac users" telling him/her how stupid and useless that would be and how this would slow down and cause noticeable malfunctioning of the system...would be the end of the discussion around that subject.
But no. It was not! :eek:
Again the freedom to decide if one prefers to run AV in a MacOS environment becomes a honey pot attracting all the same arguments against doing so.
Why not simply stop telling others what to do and what not to do and let everyone freely decide? :rolleyes:

Reactions: SoCalReviews

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Why not simply stop telling others what to do and what not to do and let everyone freely decide?
How well did that work out for the measles infected kids in Washington? Nobody should be able to "decide" on their own facts. Evidence counts, feelings don't. Vaccines prevent disease. Macs don't need third-party anti-virus software.

jbarley

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I thought that two long threads in which every user with courage enough to say or even hint that he/she felt better with AV running in his/her mac... was bombed by countless "old mac users" telling him/her how stupid and useless that would be and how this would slow down and cause noticeable malfunctioning of the system...would be the end of the discussion around that subject.
But no. It was not! :eek:
Again the freedom to decide if one prefers to run AV in a MacOS environment becomes a honey pot attracting all the same arguments against doing so.
Why not simply stop telling others what to do and what not to do and let everyone freely decide? :rolleyes:
The OP's "freedom to decide" included asking members of this forum for help, which is exactly what the members are giving.
If a member does not want to get answers from both sides of the equation then maybe they shouldn't be asking.
In some circles it might even be considered as "trolling".

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
The OP's "freedom to decide" included asking members of this forum for help, which is exactly what the members are giving.
If a member does not want to get answers from both sides of the equation then maybe they shouldn't be asking.
The OP didn't start the thread to ask whether or not he should or shouldn't be using an AV program on this Mac. He's asking for help from forum users regarding his Mac AV/Security program app not working.

The point is that there aren't two sides. There is only one side that the OP is requesting help about. Turning his thread into an OFF TOPIC debate over whether he should or shouldn't use Norton AV/Security wasn't why the OP asked the question to the forum. He didn't post a question about whether or not he should be using a Mac AV/Security app. He's asking for help to get Norton Security for Mac WORKING again.
[doublepost=1551288690][/doublepost]
If someone is having trouble with a specific program/application they have been using on their Mac such as MS Office for Mac and asks for help to get it working again. Does that mean he should be constantly bombarded with numerous posts from forum users who are biased against non-Apple based third party Office apps... about how he shouldn't be using MS Office anyway and how it's a bad app and Macs have other apps that do that same thing? That's what you call "both sides of the equation?"
[doublepost=1551289578][/doublepost]
How well did that work out for the measles infected kids in Washington? Nobody should be able to "decide" on their own facts. Evidence counts, feelings don't. Vaccines prevent disease. Macs don't need third-party anti-virus software.
Sounds like authoritarianism... Not being able to use your own judgement, use your own facts and make your own decision.

Ok, from now on you can't use a Mac. You must use PC's with Windows because they are better. Everyone else is using them. Your judgement goes against what most other people say is best for you.

Last edited:

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
I did not tell anyone to do anything. o_O
The OP asked for help to get Norton Security for Mac working again. You tried to tell the OP that he shouldn't use a AV app on his Mac. The OP didn't ask for your opinion about Mac AV apps.

Septercius

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2017
UK
So you've never on the internet noticed something doing something wrong and told them the error of their ways? If I told you I reinstalled macOS every week, would you tell me I was being daft? I would hope so. (I don't, by the way.)

The OP thinks that using an anti-virus program is required. Many people do not. I'd say they're trying to save the OP time, effort and money. What's wrong with that?

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
So you've never on the internet noticed something doing something wrong and told them the error of their ways? If I told you I reinstalled macOS every week, would you tell me I was being daft? I would hope so. (I don't, by the way.)

The OP thinks that using an anti-virus program is required. Many people do not. I'd say they're trying to save the OP time, effort and money. What's wrong with that?
How do you know what the OP thinks? Maybe he installed it as part of a complete Norton Security Suite package to protect all his devices... including his non-Mac computers on his network. Maybe he was told by his work that he should have it on his Mac. What he specifically asked for was help to get the app working again. If he wanted advice about whether he should use the Mac app he would have asked.

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The OP asked for help to get Norton Security for Mac working again. You tried to tell the OP that he shouldn't use a AV app on his Mac. The OP didn't ask for your opinion about Mac AV apps.
The middle part of that is incorrect.
[doublepost=1551376620][/doublepost]
How do you know what the OP thinks? Maybe he installed it as part of a complete Norton Security Suite package to protect all his devices... including his non-Mac computers on his network. Maybe he was told by his work that he should have it on his Mac. What he specifically asked for was help to get the app working again. If he wanted advice about whether he should use the Mac app he would have asked.
So offer him (or her) some help. You use AV.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
The middle part of that is incorrect.
So offer him (or her) some help. You use AV.
Funny how just the idea of someone using AV in Macs makes some people in this forum jump as if bitten by a scorpion.
No problem to twist the intention of anyone asking for help... provided that request is related to AV, as is the case in this thread.
Instead of helping the thread starter TO DO WHAT HE/SHE WANTS TO DO... (or just keeping silent if they cannot help) they give themselves instead the right of teaching a non requested lesson WHY HE/SHE SHOULD NOT DO WHAT HE/SHE WANTS TO DO.
All of course with the - v e r y - b e s t - i n t e n t i o n - in the world... in spite of the obvious fact that that was - n o t - a t - a l l - the kind of help requested.
The old wisdom applies indeed to many people in this forum:
"The way to hell is paved with good intentions".
Ed

Reactions: SoCalReviews