The Battery on the iPhone 4S is Totally Unacceptable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Dec 19, 2011.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I'm on my second 4S b/c of battery issues and the new device has the same issue as the first. I'm average about 4 hours of usage time which is totally "f ing" absurd. I'm starting to get really frustrated and have even began contemplating buying the GSM Galaxy Nexus for full price. I tried EVERYTHING to make battery time better and nothing worked. I wanted to see if the meter was possibly wrong so I just let it drain until it turned off. I just powered it back up (thus the 5% reading) but this is my usage time. Tell me what I could do!!

Attached Files:

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

thats nice.
    There are allready 1000+ posts on this.
    Turn of percentage+dont always check usage+ get a car charger

Believe me- the Nexus will have worse battery life.

3. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Here are some more battery usage screen shots over the past 2 weeks.

Attached Files:

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

How are you using it specifically (music, streaming, wifi, cellular, signal strength, etc.). Have you found the threads that suggest what to turn off?

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Funny, no one has mentioned this before.

Must be a problem unique to your phone.:rolleyes:

Be sure not to do a Search for other threads addressing this issue - it will blow up your computer.:eek:

6. NoHo macrumors 6502

And there should be 1000+ more.

It's been months since it came out and Apple hasn't fixed it yet. It was a pain earlier, but understandable since there was a fix on the way, but now it's just unacceptable.

4 hours usage on a full charge by just doing normal stuff is unacceptable.

7. nizmoz macrumors 65816

All Android phones have worse battery life than this phone period. I just came back due to poor battery life on the Skyrocket which is rated as more than the NExus.

8. DroidRules, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

DroidRules macrumors 65816

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9t-DeSeyAI&feature=related

You'll need to change some of the words around to fit but it still applies.

You never say what you're doing.... IF I play extraction without stopping I can eat through my battery in 3-4 hours easy.

Vote with your dollars folks. Don't like a companies product? Don't buy it or take it back and get what you do like.

9. macking104, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

10. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I agree with that

All iPhones I've used tend to last longer than equivalent android phones with stock batteries.

Your battery life isn't too bad. Perhaps the next update will help. My phone is definitely using a lot more cell data which is going to kill the battery. It could be a bug, it could be iCloud or it could be wifi failing

11. jredecop macrumors 6502a

I had the nexus for 2 days, now my battery rocks!! Lol.

12. TestedLion macrumors member

Well, you can't just throw up some pics on any website and say "this blows" and expect reasonable answers.

What type of usage does your battery life stem from (games, iTunes, standby, web, mixed web/gaming, very low signal strength area)? Have you spoken to Apple on the phone...gone to an Apple store? I, amongst others, have gone to Apple stores..spoken to a genius and received replacement phones which fixed our problems...More specifically, tl;dr - got new phone, updated to 5.0.1 9A406, and now I have no battery issues.

etc. etc.

13. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Fair enough. I'm on iOS 5.0.1 and my usage every day varies but the battery is awful regardless. I've NEVER reached 5 hours of usage yet. I obviously cycled the battery quite a bit. I do a bunch of emailing and iMessaging but other than that nothing out of the ordinary at all. I barely game at all and don't do any other graphic or screen intensive stuff. Very frustrating!

14. lilkangster macrumors member

I use to get the type of battery life you are getting but after tuning off a few location services/notifications also make sure bluetooth/wifi(when not in use) is off. Currently I am getting about twice the battery I use to. Right now I am at 4hours 57 mins of usage and 1day 12 hours of standby and still have 47%. Of course those 5 hours of usage were mostly just browsing the web and maybe like 30mins of gaming. So yea I suggest you try turning some of those services off and try again.

15. TestedLion macrumors member

this. Turn off Apple's diagnostic update crap, some location services, etc.

But, assuming you've already tried that, go to your nearest Apple store and talk with a genius about your battery woes. My iPhone replacement (for über poor battery) was the easiest thing ever. Of course, mileage (replacements) may vary.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

E-Mailing is known for draining the battery, particularly if you have it set to push messages (rather than fetch them periodically). If the phone has a weak signal, it will keep on trying to receive e-mails. My guess is that the 5.1 software will change how iPhone searches for new messages, since that's what seems to drain the battery.

17. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Come on...I've had every single iPhone since the original and NEVER had battery like this. That's a lame excuse at best. There is clearly an issue and Apple needs to address it ASAP.

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

FYI the 4S started shipping in the 3rd week of October not quite months. However I'm still happy with my I4. Hopefully the next update will fix it.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OP the details are important and without them all's folks can do is guess. As TestedLion mentioned, a weak signal (3G or wifi) is a battery killer and sending diagnostic data chews up data courtesy the battery.

You didn't mention if your phone is jailbroken. I've had apps drain the battery until I removed and reinstalled. Some folks nuke theirs from orbit and restore as a new phone.

But again, without specifics you aren't going to get any new information here than what's already been posted. With the limited information provided your battery might be performing normally.

20. nitemare macrumors regular

looking at you pics first thing i noticed is you have BT turned on and not connected to anything. turn it off when not using it. WIFI drains battery. your also located in NYC and on AT&T. before complaining about your battery look at where your located and who your cell service is with. everyone knows that AT&T's coverage NYC isn't that great esp inside some of those big skyscrapers out there. if you spend a lot of time in the city that could be the reason for the fast battery drain

21. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

What do you want to know. I'm at work for most of the day and almost solely use my phone for messaging. As I said previously, the usage numbers are going to be mostly email and messaging. My phone isn't jailbroken and I live and work in Manhattan so my signal is always 4 or 5 bars. To be fair, I do leave Bluetooth and wifi on bc I don't like having to reconnect every time I get into my office/house (for wifi) and my car (Bluetooth). But as I mentioned, I've had every single iPhone before this and left both on at all times and never had battery life even close to as poor as I do on the 4S. I have also gotten a replacement with the same exact issue so I'm pretty confident there's a problem with iOS 5.

----------

Have never had an issue with service in NYC with AT&T. Data is sometimes slow on congested networks but voice is pretty much flawless. And as stated three times, there was never this issue with the original iPhone, the iPhone 3G, the iPhone 3GS, or the iPhone 4. I don't think att's coverage started draining my battery life the same day I got the 4S.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Just trying to help. I sincerely hope you're able to find out what it is.

23. imeth macrumors regular

O **** with these topics about battery.. People will find a way to complain I swear

24. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

maybe if we don't discuss it, the problem will go away.

25. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

let me guess... Your phone gets "really hot" when in use too... ?

The only thing I have to say is that I've had 2 4s's so far and have more than doubled your battery life on both of them. Trust me, it's NOT your phone. Well, not your specific handset. It's something else. It's an account that isn't syncing right, it's cell reception, it's location services that are not doing anything for you (but draining your battery). Now you can be one of the people who sit around and complain about it, you can go exchange it for an android device, or you can do some troubleshooting to find a solution (similar to getting an android device... I mean, the troubleshooting part... not necessarily finding a solution).

Good luck with whatever you choose.