The BBC should be ashamed.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Qoxiivi, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Tuning into Newsnight (a BBC news/politics program – link provided) the other evening I was intrigued to see that it was going to feature an interview with George Bush. To say I was disappointed with how the interview was conducted would be an understatement. I was disgusted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7246075.stm

Now, I’ve come to expect this brand of soft, obsequious, vapid journalistic ‘inquiry’ from channels like Fox/CNN as they’re funded by corporations and want the views they express to be complicit with execution of their business objectives. However, for those of us that live in the UK the BBC is a publicly funded organisation and, as such, carries the responsibility of informing the populace in an objective and impartial way. We pay for it to tell us the truth, not broadcast lies unchallenged and unexamined.

I’ll pull out a few choice quotes by Mr Bush that went unchallenged either there in the interview or afterwards:

“What I really care about is, are we saving lives?”

“America is trapped in this notion that we care about human life. We respect human dignity. And that's not a trap. That's a belief.”

“See, I happen to believe we're in an ideological struggle. And, those who murder the innocent to achieve political objectives are evil people.”

“You know, dealing with liberating 25 million in Afghanistan is part of what I hope people think of when they look at my presidency.”

“The... decision to move Saddam Hussein was right.”

“We believe in human rights and human dignity. We believe in the human condition. We believe in freedom.”

I (along with everyone else in the UK) am paying the salary of that imbecile (Matt Frei) to put those questions to George Bush. These people are who we’re expected to get our knowledge of what goes on in the world from. It’s depressing.

2. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Look to Channel 4 for a news programme that challenges political parties. Go Paxman!

I've virtually given up on BBC television news. :(