The Beginning of a New Era for Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I think time of Apple controlling Carriers and getting everything they want is coming to an end. There is an interesting article on CNet and I have read it in a few other places says that one reason Apple is not being allowed on the China Mobile Carrier is that the carrier wants a bigger peice of the pie, and some profits from Apple's online stores related to phone and sales from their 700 Million potential customers that Apple is trying to land in China Mobile.

I personally think the days of Apple writing deals like they did with Sprint, are done, the iPhone is not the only game in town anymore and not every carrier has it, yet they sell a ton of other phones. I think Apple will have no choice but to cut smoother deals with carriers for their phones. The days of Apple controlling carriers like AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint like a dog on a leash are over.

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Care to link the CNET article? How much more profit margin could the carriers want when the iPhone would attract customers in and have them sign a 2 two contract. Isn't that the base of how carriers make their profits?

I'm not sure how overseas carriers work, if they even require contracts. But if they do, I don't how much more profit they could want from the sale of the device.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I think this is just common knowledge at this point. Last year really proved that samsung has turned a corner. With more competition, not having the iphone is not the end of the world.

4. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Evil companies: Monster cable always and forever #1, #2 are cell phone carriers.
    Usually I'm against Apple being so needlessly secretive, but when it comes to Apple vs Cell phone carriers, I'm on Apple's side.

5. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I would but last I got a warning about linking outside articles here, so just go to cnet.com and search "Apple, China Mobile face hurdles in effort to offer the iPhone"

6. Agent-P, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Here's the article the OP is referring to.

As for my opinion, I would rather the phone manufacturers have more control than the carriers. I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that phone carriers should only be in charge of selling their service, not devices. That should be left to the OEM. But unfortunately carriers are greedy.

7. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

You should all hope this never happens. Otherwise, the newer iPhones coming out will be like the other phones; carrier bloatware, AT&T/Verizon Logos, and slow, or no updates.

I know you can JB the device, and remove all that [like rooting an Android device], but most won't. I think that's one of the appeals of the iPhone; not THE appeal, but one of the selling factors.

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

You prefer carriers be in control? Wow.

I like the fact that Apple was the first one to take control of their product away from the carriers.

9. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

Agreed. It's nice not having "Verizon Wireless" written all over my 5.

10. pnyc macrumors 6502

I think Apple controlling the device is the lesser evil, true they don't give users as much access as they should but the carriers have a tendency to when given a chance limit that access/features even more.

Android is expending rapidly, customers like choices, the OS is getting stronger with each revision, the app availability/variety/quality is not really an issue any more. I think it's only going to get worse for Apple, there is some hope in the rumored "budget" iPhone. Time will tell how things will play out for Apple but in my opinion the important thing about all this is that these changes are good for the consumers.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I thought that era ended when the AT&T exclusive was no more.

12. Godf1st macrumors regular

I feel that the app selection and the updates/support for the apps are still better on iOS. Android has a good selection,but it doesn't compare to the apple market or even cydia.

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

That's apples marketing plan. They want to cause controversy and speculation. Makes the launch much more exciting. Like waving a bone in front of a dog for a bit before actually giving it to them.