The Beijing Death Camps

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Mar 10, 2008.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

The Daily Mail

I am so full of emotion right now that I can't post a comment. :mad:

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

What's the difference between a post and a comment :)

All they need is a live webcam so you can watch. Maybe take bets on which one will die first. Maybe a pool where you can pick the date and/or time of day the cat will kick the bucket. Much better than big brother!

3. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm not even going to ask you why you would post such an insensitive and cruel comment.

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Because i am insensitive and cruel of course :)

5. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

All in the name of the Olympics...

So unbelievably cruel... can't they just move them to some woods or something? ship them out to the mountains? I understand there are too many and something needs to be done, but just boxing them up and leaving them to die is just plain wrong.

Attached Files:

6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Disgusted...

As a cat owner I can't even bring myself to click the link. This is just sick. Their country may be experiencing a huge growth rate (industry, tech, economy, etc...), but their social status is obviously still firmly planted somewhere in the dark ages.

I'd like to round those bastards up and stick them in cages and see how they like it. :mad:

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Pretty much my sentiments as well.

Gee, and they're surprised that US Olympians want to bring their own food.

What I don't understand is why the level of cruelty. If they need the cats to die, (cheaply), fine, use a toxic gas, something, ANYTHING that is faster than caging them up and waiting for them to die. :(

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Our anthromorphising and sentimentality towards animals doesn't cut much ice in parts of China.

Still, animal cruelty exists everywhere... the Daily Mail will never miss an opportunity to take a pop at China, but won't pay much attention to experimentation on animals for drug and product testing, because to do so is to stand in the way of the almighty dollar represented by Unilever, Proctor and Gamble, etc.

Like rabbits blinded by the testing of shampoos, we are utterly blind to our own hypocrisy.

Edit: From a report by the American Anti-Vivisection Society in 2003
    So, to me this article, as sad as it is, is just more xenophobia dressed up as concerns over animal welfare.

Second edit: I was also reminded of this story about the London Olympics site that The Mail somehow overlooked. Funny that when it comes to our own back garden, we're less than concerned.

9. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Send the cats to the US. I'd rather give a stray cat to my kid, than a lead poisoned Cabbage Patch Doll.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hardly the single case.. i remember reading a report from istanbul where similar things happen except with stray dogs

also i remember something from a town in spain (or greece ?) where they had to take desperate measures to get hold of the stray populations as well

if you want it to be done more merciful i suggest spending money for lethal injections to them...

i sure hope you all enjoy your breakfast eggs ... in producing those it is considered success when through new experimental cages the death (through cannibalism) rate can be reduced to 15% from 35%
    and those cages aren't in widespread use

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Free range eggs for the win.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

seconded. it's all we buy. I'll only eat organic free range meat now as well. (after that thing on TV)

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Organic free range eggs are teh awesome!!!

I'm just cooking up some organic free range wild boar!
    I even saw photos of the little beggar when he was alive!

14. elcid macrumors 6502

Is it the fact that they are cats? If they were rats, would everyone still be full of emotion?

As far as the free range thing, ya its a good idea to a point. As a world population we have come way to far for everyone to switch to organic.

15. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

The bastards are too cheap to euthanize them; they'd rather let them die in cramped cages. I hate the Chinese government with a burning passion that goes beyond what words can say. :mad:

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Yes. Cats are widely regarded as companions, and while it might not be fair that rats are not held with as high of regard, that's how it is. Cruelty to animals doesn't sit well with me in any shape or form but it stings a lot more that this is happening to cats.
    I also realize my limitations on what I have the right to complain about. I don't always check the label for "not tested on animals" so this is partially hypocritical of me, but I'm aware of it. I still have a knee-jerk reaction when I hear of blatant animal cruelty.

And why is it that "we have come way too far" to switch to organic? Other than socio-economic reasons (i.e., cost of organic) there's no big obstacle in anyone's way preventing them from buying free-range/organic products. :confused: Besides, if it becomes the industry standard, costs should go down, I would think.

17. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

If I had my way, the whole entire country would be glowing in the dark. :mad:

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You'd nuke millions of people because of cruelty to animals? Get a grip. Your inflated sense of xenophobic outrage and proportion is lop-sided and wearisome.

As I've pointed out, cruelty to animals exists in your own country as well as many other parts of the world, yet this painting of China as somehow unique says more about you than it does about them.

19. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I agree with iBlue almost entirely. All animal cruelty is bad. It just takes examples of cats, which are especially close to our hearts, to hit the point home.

As I said before, sure, I understand they need to die. But even if they had someone systematically stamping on and crushing their heads (preferably not, but you get my point) then it would be better than letting them starve or die from disease slowly and painfully.

And free range organic is definitely the way to go. It should fall to the government to ensure it happens in an affordable, sustainable way.

I mean come on... how cheap can you expect food to be?! Organic prices are fair - good prices for good food. The cheap stuff is cruel to produce and tastes like it. Can't we just get rid of it all together?

Could this mean that the Olympics has become inherently evil? lol It seems to be a running theme against cats... a canine grand scheme prehaps?

20. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I believe that most animals are far superior to humans. You can keep locking my threads, but you can't change who I am or how I feel.

21. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Haven't these people ever heard of Bullets? Well all of China is a slave labor camp anyways, but they have McDonalds!

22. aLoC macrumors 6502a

Encouraging people to give up the family pet? It's going too far.

I was in Sydney during the 2000 Olympics and I remember them putting up fences around empty lots, giving bridges a fresh lick of paint, etc. But nothing like this.

23. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

With 6.5 billion people and growing, fixed land and fixed resources (while evil artificial fertilizers and pesticides have taken productivity to new heights, organic ones cannot), you need only do the math.

At this point, "organic" is mainly just something to help the developed world feel better about trashing the planet.

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The same thing is happening in Vancouver, only replace "cats" with "mentally ill homeless" and "cages" with "jail or the worst parts of town".

Non-organic farming causes irreversable damage. It's up-front production at the cost of long-term sustainability. Organic farming and a diet of one-step nutrition with very little meat can feed everyone and stop the planet trashing.