The benefit of having your spouse on iDevices?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iHavequestions, Jan 21, 2014.

1. iHavequestions, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

iHavequestions macrumors regular

My fiancee used to have an Android phone. But now that we both have iPhones, we've seen some benefits of having one platform. What are some that you have?

Here's a shortlist of some:
    • The ability to use iMessage without paying for texts
    • Facetime
    • We can share some apps even without using the same iCloud (through iTunes)
    • Sharing our photostream
    • Find My Friends feature

Any other benefits I haven't listed?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe you can also share calendars/reminders/notes, possibly even media.

3. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

Yes but you can do that through Google Calendars already... Media, how so?

4. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Media purchased through iTunes anyways.. Share your iTunes login with them (the same for apps) and they can have access to all the same media that you have.

5. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

My wife and I share quite a bit being both on iPhones. We have separate iCloud accounts, but she uses my AppleID so all our media is shared. We share reminders, calendars, photos via photostreams (though because we have separate iCloud accounts, our pictures are separate).

iMessage is a big plus since our house has crappy cell service (radiant barrier). I've used Android devices and while I can use third party services no problem, my wife isn't into messing too much with what works so it makes it easier if I'm on the same platform as she is.

Doesn't hurt that most of my family and friends are all on iOS as well. My decision to use iOS solely stems both from my familiarity and preference AND my family and friends' use of the platform.

6. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Most of those "benefits" could be done easily with third party apps cross platform though.

7. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Airdrop, FaceTime Audio and contact sharing are some more options.

Also, 3rd party apps also allow you to share additional content/info. (Example: 1Password allows you to send password data over iMessage. *iMessages are encrypted).

8. Albert1000 macrumors newbie

But this is where Apple excels in their marketing hype. They convince the iOS lemmings that Apple invented everything and these things can only be on their devices. :D

9. Azy macrumors regular

Worst part is she knows when I've read her messages and then wants to know what I'm so busy doing that I can't text back... On the plus nude FaceTime when away? Haha

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can turn off read receipts.

11. gglittle macrumors regular

The point is that the "out of the box" apps meet the needs the original poster and nearly all users of an Apple device using iOS. We do not have to first find a replacement app, install it on multiple devices, and finally set those devices up so that those multiple devices can do what iOS and Apple devices already provide. It does not matter the ease of installation, cost, or availability of the app. What matters is that the out of the box apps do what we need, across all of our iOS devices.

12. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

You already mentioned it, but for me Homesharing is the biggest plus. My gf, sister, father and mother all use iOS devices, so I buy all important apps and they get whatever they want for free. and I really like Facetime Audio too - the quality is superb!

13. bo1500000 macrumors newbie

Don't forget "Find My Phone"...it helps a lot, when I need to see if my wife made it somewhere, or is almost home. I think she gets mad when she knows I use it...I trust her, but it helps me. The other night she was going to get fast food, and she didn't return quickly, so I used "Find My Phone". She was at the grocery, so I cleaned up/out the Fridge to make room...for a surprise.

14. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

:d:d:d:d:d Classic

15. somsoc macrumors newbie

These are the things that keep me coming back to iOS. I've tried a lot of the third party alternatives on iOS and Android. Although there are some advantages to these, nothing else comes close to the ease of use and quality of the built in iOS apps. FaceTime video and FaceTime audio are amazing. As are iMessage and Find My Friends.

16. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Many listed above the one I most liked is sharing apps/media/itunes purchases

Also nice to have a single charger in the house /car etc to share. (Same for any house with same phones)

And if there is ever an issue or question I can answer it easily.

17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I once did something similar. He was at the grocery so I cleaned out the bank accounts and moved out...for a surprise.

(Comments like that are why I'm single)

18. Xanderstone12 macrumors member

Xanderstone12

You are a overly attached husband. I bet you share a Facebook account.

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

20. excommie macrumors regular

You can track her location with find my iPhone app.

21. DrManhattan macrumors member

Good for notes so the wife can add stuff to a list and I can see it. Evernote sucks and would never sync correctly.

Also good for stalking her on Find My Friends. Really, I just look at it sometimes to see if she has left work, or if she is almost home.

22. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

23. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

You don't need to share your iTunes log in with media, just use home sharing

24. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

i have to opposite opinion. My wife has a Droid and when she wants help or can't figure something out - Sorry Dear I can't help you. I love it. She chose it she can figure it out.

25. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

FaceTime audio & iMessage are the real reasons for me. The quality of FaceTime audio is light years ahead of what you get on a regular cell call, since it's entirely VoIP. Plus, there are areas of my home and work that have poor signal penetration because of the buildings, but as long as I'm on the wifi FaceTime audio still works beautifully. 3G is practically everywhere now anyway, and 4g isn't far behind.