The best excuse YOU have used at the G.B. for a new iPhone 3G.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MXChristian11, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MXChristian11 macrumors 6502

MXChristian11

Hey guys, I know that many of us get pretty ticked when we get a knick or scratch on our iPhones, and it makes you want a "new" one again. So, I want to ask, whats the best excuse you have told a Mac Genius at the Genius Bar in order to get a new phone w/out actually telling them that the scratch, which you have requires a magnifying glass to spot, is really bugging you?

I know I have plenty, as I am on my 5th since iDay2. :D I think it's pretty cool how you can basically tell them anything and you get a new phone. Gotta love :apple:

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Sure, I get pissed when anything happens to my iPhone, but I've been fortunate, or just more responsible to not have a single mark on the 3G yet, and never had a mark on the first gen either, until I gave it to my mom. I guess I don't feel like exploiting the kindness of my genius bar, but that's just me I guess. I know what you feel, but it has never brought me to the bar for a scratch. It does not disable my iPhone and it is not their fault what so ever.

3. Cask Guest

Apple didn't put a scratch in your phone, you did, so live with it.

4. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I'm so glad there are people like you in our society. :rolleyes:

5. MXChristian11 thread starter macrumors 6502

MXChristian11

haha, what do you mean?

explain please. :confused:

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

true, but it does add to the refurbished store.
    I got the Otter Box and it is a little big, but it protects very good. I work outside and it's the best case for the iPhone so far.

7. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

If there's something wrong with it get it replaced. My gf has a few dead pixels she can probably get a swap. My swap actually has this ripple of light effect on dark screens and these glowing two towers of light down the middle, i could probably get a swap.

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

But those are things you didn't do to it. If you put scratches on it and stuff, should Apple replace it just for scratches you put on it?

9. svndmvn Guest

bought the iPhone the first week it was out in July(3g) and I've had Apple exchange it so many times for me, never dropped it, never caused any damage, just plain old defects, cracks starting the first week of use, kind of, or light leak, buttons falling off or not working properly, that I'm on my last one, a few cracks are "about to appear" around the headphone jack, I hope it's not the case, because the guy from Executive Relations said it was the last one if I wanted it, if not I could have a full refund.. Even though my Mom would prefer the white one, I guess I'll wait June and hand this over to her and get a new one, if it has a different back.
    I find looking for excuses to get it exchanged kind of "consumistic" and immoral, sorry

10. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

why make up an excuse... just one more reason apple might tighten up their swap policy

11. Cask Guest

Exactly, if iPhone works fine, and you scratched it then you shouldn't be thinking of an excuse for getting it replaced. You might just ruin it one day for people that have a genuine problem with their iPhones.

12. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I dropped my iPhone a few weeks ago. Corners scuffed and 2 (tiny) scratches on the screen. I bought a pack of screen protectors and an incase slider. Hides the damage and prevents any more happening.

:rolleyes:

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

very true!!! I also like how people need to tell everyone how they are "beating the system".

14. Keva161 macrumors member

I told them I had call dropping issues.. and the light was leaking from t he left side (which was true). :apple:

15. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Why invent an excuse? Liar

Only if it is really a defective one you deserve a good replacement.
    These are the known defects:
    -Plastic crack near the headphone jack
    -sharp edge in the bottom part silver bezel not flushed with the plastic
    -screen leaks, as a consequence it then will show dust grains inside your screen
    -sharp edge/not flush SIM card holder with rest of the iPhone

This list is based on the 5 iPhone 3G that I have got replaced at the Genius Bar.
    My current one has the plastic cracks around the headphone jack, but is barely noticeable only when it is exposed to good light conditions.

16. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

It's people like you that force companies to clamp down on policies. Just like everyone that used to abuse the Costco return policy to get a new TV or computer every year. Thanks for being that guy.

17. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

There is a fine line between just asking for replacements without a reason and acting like a customer and asking for a non defective product.
    Who are we to judge what other people do.

Probably there are more people that simply don't care if their product is defective and many companies don't treat the defects as defects and keep their product like it is.
    In :apple: case they really treat their customers like customers, I have no complaint about it. But I expect they improve their internal quality control during regular production, currently it is not the best.

The high volume + outsourced manufacturing in China generate more defective :apple: products than what were produced in the past.

I have used :apple: product since 1986, and in the last 3 years I have made around 10 visits to the :apple: store to get things fixed, and 7 of those visits were for the same defects.
    The common problem: plastic components of the MB and iPhone 3G.

18. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I don't like how OP is trying to scam the system.

You're clumsy, deal with it.

19. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Not only do you scam but you like to brag about it. Honesty and character is at an all time low and this country and it has hurts everyone.

20. MXChristian11 thread starter macrumors 6502

MXChristian11

woah man!! I am everything but a scammer! I hate scammers. I think th e people that have posted on this thread have taken it the wrong way. I didn't mean for it to sound like ripping Apple off is fun. I just wanted to know if anyone said anything creative other than the normal.

Ill tell you right now, my iPhones in the past have had real issues. i.e. Light leaks, plastic not flush with metal, glass set un-even (my first iPhone), battery/dropped call issues.

What i was trying to find out, was that if you had a scratch/knick, i wanted to know how long you sat there trying to find the smallest LEGIT problem wrong with your phone. i.e. toggle switch loose, not plush, etc.

so before you start calling me a scammer maybe i should clear my self up a bit. thanks guys.

21. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Now it sounds like one is wanting to compile a list to see what works and what doesn't so one CAN use them.

Why bother asking then? The question and the requested replies invites scamming for one who hates scammers.

22. nickhutson macrumors regular

When I bought my iPhone, it had the no service message for over 12 hours - so, I got a replacement very easily.

Not sure it's ethically correct to make up an excuse just to get a new product.

Slightly off topic but I didn't find the Genius Bar (staff) that impressive when I went to the flagship London store when I had a problem with my MacBook. They were pretty abrasive, non-descript and didn't see me until 40 minutes after my booked time.

23. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Wowser...looks like someone released the hounds on the poor OP. :D

24. kenkamm macrumors regular

I wish I didn't open this thread. OP, you make me sick. People like you will ruin it for the rest of us that would only return the phone if there was a manufacturer defect. If you scratch your phone, deal with it! And find something more important to do with your time for God's sake.

25. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Are you completely illiterate?? Or do you just not pay attention?

The OP was saying that if he damages his phone, he's looking for MANUFACTURER'S DEFECTS so he can take it in. It's not like they're hard to find. He's not MAKING UP reasons to exchange. Seriously you have to be dumb to think he meant he created an issue in his mind and got the genius to believe it existed.

All you righteous Apple lovers need to step back and quit acting like you've never done a dishonest thing in your life. It's rather nauseating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.