The best gyms in Houston

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by determined09, Feb 8, 2015.

1. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

I'm looking for a good gym in the Houston Area. I need a good clean gym. what are some of the things that I should be looking for while looking for a gym.. I need to lose about 80 or more lbs. I know you need to start with your diet. But I also need to workout,too. I don't want to be flabby or have any loose skin. So,.I'll be losing weight slowly. I'm keeping my finger crossed that doesn't happen. I thought about the YMCA but the one closest to my house has usually very busy or crowded.

Thank you.

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Congrats on vowing to get healthier!

If you're looking to find a place that's not busy, check into Snap Fitness. They're basic gyms with treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, weight machines, and a few free weights. I used to be a member and it was rare to have more than five people in my gym at any time. They are small, though, and usually don't have shower facilities.

The biggest variabilities in gyms are whether they have a pool and/or showers. Having a shower at your gym is important if you want to exercise in the morning before work, but less important if you like to work out after work.

Cost is another big factor, however for some people a more expensive gym can motivate them to visit more often to get their money's worth.

3. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

Thank you.

----------

Thank you. I understand your statement about cost is a big factor. I know not to go too cheap for a membership.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

It really depends. When I was a Snap Fitness member it was only $30 and the gym was clean, quiet, and met my needs. I am now a member of a "fancy" gym that is $70 per month and I find myself going more often because I'm a cheapskate and want to justify the cost.

5. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

This is a lifestyle change. Find a healthy diet. Shoot for a sustained 4 pounds a month. Research your ass off and skip the bro-science advice you'll get.

I suggest you look for a club with good spin classes (that means interesting, fun, and challenging) and yoga. Put little emphasis on weight lifting for now. Go as many times a week you can, minimally three times, but I'd shoot for four times.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I recommend doing nothing but calisthenics for the first several months, along with a good diet. It's completely free and less time consuming. Also is better for your body and mind to get used to working out. After several months of calisthenics you'll be excited about joining a gym and more likely to take it seriously.

7. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

I'm Mostly worried about having loose skin and my lower abs area. It's flabby and soft. Smh. It's got to rid of it stat even if I need to get a tummy tuck.

8. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

Thank you for all helpful tips. I see your point. I just really need to lose the weight for health reasons and I'm really short. It's getting harder to find cloths that fit. I'm either 5 feet even or I'm 4 feet and 11 inches in height.

----------

I'll check out the calisthenics exercises. Thank you.

----------

I would love to go to gold's gym but there isn't one close to my home or my job. But thank you.