The best, most fitting UK number plate I've ever seen...


4409723

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
2,222
0
Very nice and true!

The best I've ever seen was in central London. There was a mint Aston Martin DB5 with just 'V8' as the numberplate.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
stevehaslip said:
hehehe, sorry but thats better than the V8 one. more! i'll be keeping my eyes peeled!
Yeah, piles better that V8 I'm afraid Wes (though JUST V8 is very cool to, ESPECIALLY on an Aston) :p I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I saw it, so glad I had my camera with me! :D
 

4409723

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
2,222
0
edesignuk said:
Yeah, piles better that V8 I'm afraid Wes (though JUST V8 is very cool to, ESPECIALLY on an Aston) :p I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I saw it, so glad I had my camera with me! :D

Was this that camera you bought especially for these occasions?
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
That is quite good :D

I've seen some winners here in the states - and some losers. Although, until this, I don't think I'd ever seen a personalized plate outside of the US.

Can you get them in other European countries as well?

And what's on the mini? :p

D
 

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
2,064
0
l'Allemagne
a very typical way in Germany (Maybe other countries as well) is the name and last name initials followed by the birthday ... :rolleyes: the easiest way to remind people to buy a gift.
 

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
657
0
The Ocean Floor
Mr. Anderson said:
That is quite good :D

I've seen some winners here in the states - and some losers. Although, until this, I don't think I'd ever seen a personalized plate outside of the US.

Can you get them in other European countries as well?

And what's on the mini? :p

D
!what! yup you can get personalised number plates in other countries, why wouldn't you be able to? i don't know if they are really popular in the states but in the UK you don't see them every day. When you do see them they're usually on cars owned by yuppies! all they do is draw attention to yourself and your car, celebrities don't tend to have them on their cars because it draws too much attention to themselves.

One of the best ones i've heard of is "FANG5" or fangs on a Dodge Viper, the plate went for £70,000 or something in a DVLA auction. That was a few years back though.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
stevehaslip said:
!what! yup you can get personalised number plates in other countries, why wouldn't you be able to? i don't know if they are really popular in the states but in the UK you don't see them every day. When you do see them they're usually on cars owned by yuppies! all they do is draw attention to yourself and your car, celebrities don't tend to have them on their cars because it draws too much attention to themselves.
They're very common in the states....my wife even has one. Its just that I've never seen them anywhere outside the US and was curious.

You answered my question, though.

And here its not just personalized, but most states have plates for just about anything, from major universities to pet friendly to NRA :D

Virginia alone has over 180 different plates styles...

some interesting ones....

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/category.asp?category=S
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=POW
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=NASM
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=PRTHD

even for Neeirds..

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=VSC
(and that's a graph graphic?!?!?! where's Dr. Q!)

I've never seen one of these and have to wonder how many they've made...
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=PHS



D
 

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
657
0
The Ocean Floor
your plates are alot fancier than ours! even the customised plates in the UK are only the bog standard plates with different characters. You can't get different plate designs like in those links. Anything but the standard ones are illegal here, you can't have different fonts. They have to be the same as the normal ones, you could get pulled over and fined etc. Different huh?
 

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
893
0
London, England
stevehaslip said:
When you do see them they're usually on cars owned by yuppies! all they do is draw attention to yourself and your car, celebrities don't tend to have them on their cars because it draws too much attention to themselves.
I use to live near where Paul Daniels lived, I use to see him driving about in his Roller with MAG 1C & his wife had a MR2 with DEB 1E.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
stevehaslip said:
your plates are alot fancier than ours! even the customised plates in the UK are only the bog standard plates with different characters. You can't get different plate designs like in those links. Anything but the standard ones are illegal here, you can't have different fonts. They have to be the same as the normal ones, you could get pulled over and fined etc. Different huh?
The scary thing is in the US, every state has a different license plate and most now have custom plates...so we're talking 1000s of different styles.

Makes it a bit interesting on the interstates :D

D
 

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
1,528
72
I saw a really nice Benz with "ENVYUS" on it.
Also, a Prius with "WAKE UP" and a huge key scratch across the side.
Also, a big van with "DEADCAT".

There was a story in the newspaper recently about a younger guy that had "GOTMILF".. it got complaints from a few moms, and he got it revoked.

Lee Tom
 

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
36,051
3,272
Los Angeles
California has regular plates, 9/11 memorial plates, Arts Council plates, Coastal Commission plates, UCLA plates, Lake Tahoe Conservancy plates, Yosemite plates, Firefighter plates, Child Safety plates, Olympic plates, Veteran plates, and from 1998 thru 2000 we had Sesquicentennial plates. Each can be regular or personalized. There are also commercial vehicle plates, official vehicle plates, motorcycle plates, etc. And, to top it off, California allows very old plates to be retained, so you see cars with the current blue on white, or the older yellow on blue, or the still older yellow on black, or the even still older black on yellow. If you see two cars with the same type of plate on a given day, count yourself lucky!
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,951
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Mr. Anderson said:
The scary thing is in the US, every state has a different license plate and most now have custom plates...so we're talking 1000s of different styles.

Makes it a bit interesting on the interstates :D

D
We have over 40 custom plates just in Floriduh. Part of the cost goes to help fund the organisation which is shown on each.

I think the only one I've seen that looks the same from state to state is the Police Athletic League.
 

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
657
0
The Ocean Floor
bousozoku said:
We have over 40 custom plates just in Floriduh. Part of the cost goes to help fund the organisation which is shown on each.

I think the only one I've seen that looks the same from state to state is the Police Athletic League.
its crazy!! 40 plates in one state!!!
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
I know it's not hard to get good plates in the US, but it the UK it's a different story, which is what made this so good!
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,951
3
Gone but not forgotten.
edesignuk said:
I know it's not hard to get good plates in the US, but it the UK it's a different story, which is what made this so good!
You're right, of course. There must be a whole trade in number plates in the UK, as I've seen several advertisements in Car and Top Gear. However, the plates always have to start with a letter, don't they?
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
stevehaslip said:
its crazy!! 40 plates in one state!!!
Like I said above, Virginia has 180 plates!

That's probably one of the higher ranges though. Anyone know of any other states that might have more?

D
 

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
712
21
Massachusetts
Mr. Anderson said:
They're very common in the states....my wife even has one. Its just that I've never seen them anywhere outside the US and was curious.

You answered my question, though.

And here its not just personalized, but most states have plates for just about anything, from major universities to pet friendly to NRA :D

Virginia alone has over 180 different plates styles...

some interesting ones....

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/category.asp?category=S
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=POW
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=NASM
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=PRTHD

even for Neeirds..

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=VSC
(and that's a graph graphic?!?!?! where's Dr. Q!)

I've never seen one of these and have to wonder how many they've made...
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=PHS



D

Those are cheap, here in MA its about $50 for a plate not $10.
 

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
712
21
Massachusetts
I feel left out, we only have 11 styles besides the standard (which I dislike). New ones are being proposed, but we have a long way to go to get to 180.

You can check out the plate styles if you like.

My girl and I have the MAC plate, which is the newest one. :p