The best way to get the most out of your battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NickyLanzz, Sep 8, 2013.

1. NickyLanzz macrumors regular

So when I first bought/traded for my iPhone 5, I looked up ways to get the most out of my battery. I am pretty sure the simple methods were to charge the phone for a full 12 hours for the first three charges. Rather that is true or not, what are the tips and tricks to keep the battery life for the 5S/5C as I will be upgrading to either one :). Thanks!

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Here's a pretty good informational page by Apple on maximizing your iPhone's battery life: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

3. NickyLanzz thread starter macrumors regular

Wow! Never saw this on there site, thank you so much.

4. user-name-here macrumors 65816

No problem, always happy to help fellow iPhone users. That's why were here :)

If I find any more good sites I'll be sure to come back and link them for you.

5. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

On my iPhone 4 I turn off 3G for longer phone calls. Only half the battery drain.

6. NickyLanzz thread starter macrumors regular

I understand how to SAVE battery, but what I meant to say was how to prolong your iPhones battery life. So it will stay healthy and what not. Like when you FIRST get it and pull it out of the box, should you drain it to 10% or so and fully charge it for 12 hours, stuff like that!

7. aroma macrumors newbie

The odd thing about Apple batteries is that they are NEVER given a break. They are run indefinitely from the moment of purchase. They never get turned off.

The iPhone battery isn't as conservative as the MacBook. I wonder if that plays into its generally low capacity.

Apple mentions nothing about turning the phone off while charging.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, good stuff. I'm tardy to the party but the most important part is below. It doesn't get mentioned enough and folks get red in the face arguing this stuff.

Use iPhone Regularly
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

9. NickyLanzz thread starter macrumors regular

Wow haha thanks for pointing that out. Luckily it says at LEAST, cause I do that 90% of the time to my phone..

10. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Most of the advice you read on the next relates to older NiMh batteries. Lithium ion batteries in the iPhone are different.

You don't need to run them down EVERYTIME. Just once a month.

12 hour first charge is bullspit. When the battery is full the iphone stops taking a charge for a bit, then takes a little, then stops, then takes a little. So when it's full, leaving it in for 12 hours will do nothing. No damage, no benefit.

People will tell you not to run it to zero as it damages the battery. If you could go to true zero that would be true but the iPhone won't let you. When it says zero on the screen it actually still has some charge.

The moral to this story? Just use your phone and give the battery no thought. Let the iphone take care of things and you just use it and have fun.

11. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

^^^This^^^

Far too much time is spent on worrying about your battery. Just use it and move on with life.

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Lithium batteries don't need cycles. The sensors that calculate the level of charge of the battery sometimes need calibration, and you can achieve that by fully charging and discharging the battery itself.

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Amen brother, AMEN!