The best way to hook up an Airport Extreme Base?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jessica Lares, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I want to hook up my Canon Selphy and an external hard drive. What's the best way this can be done? My PowerMac G5 is currently hooked up to an ethernet cable. I notice there's an other one in the back... Could I just wire another cable and stick it in the back of the Airport Extreme Base?

Is there anyway I could add it to the existing wireless, or would I have to create a new one because the G5 doesn't have a airport card inside?

I'd want it to work between my MBP, iBook, and all the other laptops in my house.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Connect USB port on back of base station to a powered USB splitter. Plug HD and printer into it.

3. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Okay, but let's say it's only one thing? Like I want to alternate between the two?

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Every device on your network, whether wifi or attached via Ethernet, will be able to see any number of printers and drives plugged into the USB splitter which is plugged into the base station USB port.

5. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

OK, here's another question then. Do I NEED an ethernet cable to begin with? The new Apple Network is in view but my MacBook Pro can't seem to set it up via the Airport Utility.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1