The bezel on the Hi-Res Anti-glare looks ghastly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Totty1987, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Totty1987 macrumors regular

I'm looking to purchase a Macbook Pro 15" for Christmas and the anti glare was pretty much my preferred display type due to my imperfect vision, but the silver bezel lacks the stylish premium look of the glossy version. It reminds me of my 2005 HP ze2115us laptop.

Guess I might have to with the glossy. No way am I going to spend so much on a laptop that gives me painful flashbacks of my hideous looking hp.

If you agree, then great. Rebuttals are also welcome. :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Seems like you didn't need the Hi-Res anyway. Apple did your wallet a favor, for once. The silver bezel is really going to put more strain on your eyes than the lower resolution?

3. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I like it better. Maybe just a matter of what you like.

4. Mersailios macrumors regular

To be honest, I like both styles; the high-resolution anti-glare display with the silver bezel reminds me of the older generation of MacBook Pro's and the PowerBook G4.

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Funny the glossy bezel also reminds me of an HP

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I ordered mine with the glossy high-resolution display because I think it looks a lot, lot nicer. I can put up with the reflection because overall I prefer the deep blacks and crystal clarity that the glossy display offers.

The glass also strengthens the display a little and prevents it from bending more, so the glossy is a stronger display.

7. Kendo macrumors 68000

I for one think it looks great! Matches the rest of the MacBook Pro quite nicely.

[​IMG]

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Seems like you got the matte for a reason and changing to the less preferred option because it reminds you of something else is kinda weird. Your call I guess.

I prefer the silver bezel overall but I find the black rubber strip distracting. I have a glossy, wanna swap?

9. pixor macrumors member

Why anyone who wants a non-glossy screen would go for a glossy one just because of the bezel colour is beyond me. Now I have a non-glossy screen, I couldn't go back.

The non-glossy weighs less too.

10. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Choosing the glossy display purely for its bezel color, despite an obvious need due to your vision, seems to be a text book example of form over function. If I was in your shoes, I would go for practical over style points. If your vision is imperfect, as you say it is, I think you will find you will get over the silver bezel soon enough.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The silver bezel reminds me of a mac, the black one that's on most macs just reminds me of ugly.

[​IMG]

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i chose anti glare cause well its anti glare plus, EVERYONE has the glossy one.

i think the silver bezel is more profesional and SEXY :D

13. Ant.honey macrumors regular

14. sno1man macrumors regular

That model is to me the prettiest macbook pro apple has produced to date.

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You're buying an inferior product just for the looks. You write that due to your imperfect vision, anti glare is much preferred. This sounds really stupid to me.

On the other hand, many apple customers buy macs for the design, though in my case it's mostly the OS that convinced me not to buy a thinkpad T520. But also here the visual comparison is very much in favor of the mac.

16. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

You bought the Anti glare, your intentions were to have a screen with less glare, the tradeoff being less accuracy of color gamut.

IMO the silver bezel looks smoother with macs, since most other laptops have the black bezel with a glossy screen.

If you favor the look of your laptop, and what others think, then you must of really not had a legitimate argument why you didn't choose glossy to begin with. Also, have you never seen a MBP with the anti glare? If so then it is all your fault you purchased something, knowing it would bring these nightmares from other laptops.

Enjoy your laptop and focus on something of higher priority in your life. Unless you are the most materialistic person ever, which may apply.

17. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Why not go with what makes your eyes more comfortable regardless of style? Obsessing over a computer's looks is silly.

18. 173080 macrumors 6502

I particularly like the silver bezel. I think it looks more elegant and it reminds me of my PowerBook G4.

19. warvanov macrumors 6502a

I prefer the appearance of the silver bezel on the basis of objective appearance. I think it matches the rest of the body of the MBP better and generally looks nice.

However, in actual use I think I prefer the black bezel. Among other things it disguises the black bars above and below the image when viewing movies and shows.

When I bought my 13" MBP I wished I could have gotten one with the silver bezel, but now that I have it and have used it I'm definately happier with the black.

20. Pro User macrumors newbie

You could always buy an antiglare film to go over your glossy screen.

It lets you keep the looks you like and no glare.

21. mark28 macrumors 68000

Then don't buy an Anti-Glare macbook pro and enjoy your glares :)

And the Silver bezel is the premium version of the MBP lol. Because nobody has the Anti-Glare screen and it's also more expensive, just like a Ferrari.

22. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

I like the black bezel because I watch a lot of movies on my MBP and the silver is just distracting...

23. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

the bezel still looks unsightly though. :)

24. randomrazr macrumors 65816

did u not even read the comments?

25. takeshi74 macrumors 601

To each his own. I'm not worried about having a "premium look" or not. :rolleyes: Go with what you prefer for whatever reasons. Doesn't affect my preference/choice in the slightest.