The biggest problem with the new iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sensamic, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Yesterday I tried the new iPhone 5 for the first time. I really liked it except for one major issue which not many people seem to be taking about...

I'm talking about the responsiveness of the screen, due to the new technology where the screen and the touch layer are the same or something like that. There were time were my touch input was not recognized and I had to click several times.

But the worst place were this can be seen is on the keyboard. I type fast, and I could see that was the illusion of lag. The letters pop out slower than on my iPhone 4 or iPad 1. It felt like there was lag.

Some people say Apple will fix this with a software update, but I'm not so sure, since its a new hardware technology. I'm gonna wait till 6.01 or so and see if Apple makes it better.

This is an issue that every iPhone 5 has. Don't you owners feel weird when you come across this issue? To be it's pretty serious on such an expensive phone.

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You have a defective phone. My response is better than EVER on my iPhone 5. Return it immediately and get a working phone. I'm not kidding

3. LoloBond macrumors 6502

This can be adjusted software side. I noticed that too but I type with one hand must of the time so I really don't care.

4. jmunter macrumors newbie

I wouldn't go that far to say its defective. I noticed that too right when I got it. After a while it goes away, I think the keyboard learns how you type. Now I have absolutely no problems typing.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If anything, mine is more responsive than my 4s

6. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

It is most certainly NOT an issue every iPhone has. Mine doesn't.

7. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Same... I haven't noticed any of the problems outlined in the OP. Love the phone so far, minus a star for it not being jb yet lol. :)

8. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Agreed. Mine is very fast and responsive.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Nothing that can't be fixed by the next iPhone model.

If Apple remains consistent, then history should repeat itself. Meaning, the upcoming model will be very well debugged & ready for prime time. Rendering iP5, as the inferior of the two. One of Apples best habits is always making the second rev the best.

I'm ready, are you? :)

10. thecurryman macrumors 6502

i kind of have the same issue as the OP, i am getting way more mistakes and my phone is less responsive to typing..idk if its a software issue or a hardware issue specific to my phone, but i have noticed other online reviewers have said the same thing...typing on my 4s resulted in less mistakes and higher over typing speed when compared to my 5....

11. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

My problem is exactly the opposite. I find it too sensitive.

----------

What are you talking about?

12. deyjavoo macrumors member

I don't notice any difference with the keyboard from 4s to 5 and definitely not anything with the touchscreen.

13. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Given that not many people seem to be talking about it (i have yet to read a review that mentions this), then the most likely is that you got a defective unit :)

14. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

My experience, as well.

15. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't have the phone. I tried it on a store. I've seen reviews on YouTube mentioning this “issue“, like pocketnow and phonedog.

They say it's because of the new screen technology.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Firstly, most of us don't appear to have the OP's problem so it's not across the board and secondly, the iPhone 5S will probably ship with iOS 7 with its own set of new iOS bugs even if it's improved hardware-wise.

17. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I see, fair enough. I personally no longer use an iPhone but have read several reviews and had never heard this issue mentioned.

18. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Have fun waiting while Apple sorts it out. We'll all be enjoying our iphone 5's.

19. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

This.

I don't have any of the problems described and I type extremely fast.

20. bowlen macrumors member

I too noticed that - the screen is certainly less responsive than the older ones - i guess it is just something you have to get used to.

21. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Coming from Android at least, the screen is awesome responsive. Try any Android phone. There is no comparison.

Actually I have no idea what folks are talking about. I've never seen an iPhone that didn't have an exceptionally responsive screen. Can type wicked fast on it. Finger movements are tracked quickly and precisely, unlike Android.

I frankly thought you were going to say the biggest problem with the iPhone 5 is all the complaining. I can't believe all the stories I've heard. There isn't anything that hasn't been complained about. I love the ones about the slow phones that doesn't seem possible in hardware but could be software configuration.

22. Jay A whY macrumors newbie

For those who have seen a difference in the screen responsiveness. Are you using a screen protector?

23. bowlen macrumors member

Nope

24. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Ummm you have a defective iPhone or had played with a defective iphobe... no not all iphones are like that and probably not even 0.5% of iPhone 5's made are like that