The biggest problem with the new iPhone 5

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Yesterday I tried the new iPhone 5 for the first time. I really liked it except for one major issue which not many people seem to be taking about...

I'm talking about the responsiveness of the screen, due to the new technology where the screen and the touch layer are the same or something like that. There were time were my touch input was not recognized and I had to click several times.

But the worst place were this can be seen is on the keyboard. I type fast, and I could see that was the illusion of lag. The letters pop out slower than on my iPhone 4 or iPad 1. It felt like there was lag.

Some people say Apple will fix this with a software update, but I'm not so sure, since its a new hardware technology. I'm gonna wait till 6.01 or so and see if Apple makes it better.

This is an issue that every iPhone 5 has. Don't you owners feel weird when you come across this issue? To be it's pretty serious on such an expensive phone.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Yesterday I tried the new iPhone 5 for the first time. I really liked it except for one major issue which not many people seem to be taking about...

I'm talking about the responsiveness of the screen, due to the new technology where the screen and the touch layer are the same or something like that. There were time were my touch input was not recognized and I had to click several times.

But the worst place were this can be seen is on the keyboard. I type fast, and I could see that was the illusion of lag. The letters pop out slower than on my iPhone 4 or iPad 1. It felt like there was lag.

Some people say Apple will fix this with a software update, but I'm not so sure, since its a new hardware technology. I'm gonna wait till 6.01 or so and see if Apple makes it better.

This is an issue that every iPhone 5 has. Don't you owners feel weird when you come across this issue? To be it's pretty serious on such an expensive phone.
You have a defective phone. My response is better than EVER on my iPhone 5. Return it immediately and get a working phone. I'm not kidding

Comment

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011

This can be adjusted software side. I noticed that too but I type with one hand must of the time so I really don't care.

Comment

jmunter

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
I wouldn't go that far to say its defective. I noticed that too right when I got it. After a while it goes away, I think the keyboard learns how you type. Now I have absolutely no problems typing.

Comment

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010

It is most certainly NOT an issue every iPhone has. Mine doesn't.

Comment

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Same... I haven't noticed any of the problems outlined in the OP. Love the phone so far, minus a star for it not being jb yet lol. :)

Comment

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Nothing that can't be fixed by the next iPhone model.

If Apple remains consistent, then history should repeat itself. Meaning, the upcoming model will be very well debugged & ready for prime time. Rendering iP5, as the inferior of the two. One of Apples best habits is always making the second rev the best.

I'm ready, are you? :)

Comment

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
i kind of have the same issue as the OP, i am getting way more mistakes and my phone is less responsive to typing..idk if its a software issue or a hardware issue specific to my phone, but i have noticed other online reviewers have said the same thing...typing on my 4s resulted in less mistakes and higher over typing speed when compared to my 5....

Comment

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009

My problem is exactly the opposite. I find it too sensitive.

----------

If Apple remains consistent, then history should repeat itself. Meaning, the upcoming model will be very well debugged & ready for prime time. Rendering iP5, as the inferior of the two. One of Apples best habits is always making the second rev the best.

What are you talking about?

Comment

deyjavoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
I don't notice any difference with the keyboard from 4s to 5 and definitely not anything with the touchscreen.

Comment

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I really liked it except for one major issue which not many people seem to be taking about...
Given that not many people seem to be talking about it (i have yet to read a review that mentions this), then the most likely is that you got a defective unit :)

Comment

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Given that not many people seem to be talking about it (i have yet to read a review that mentions this), then the most likely is that you got a defective unit :)
I don't have the phone. I tried it on a store. I've seen reviews on YouTube mentioning this “issue“, like pocketnow and phonedog.

They say it's because of the new screen technology.

Comment

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Firstly, most of us don't appear to have the OP's problem so it's not across the board and secondly, the iPhone 5S will probably ship with iOS 7 with its own set of new iOS bugs even if it's improved hardware-wise.

Comment

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I don't have the phone. I tried it on a store. I've seen reviews on YouTube mentioning this “issue“, like pocketnow and phonedog.

They say it's because of the new screen technology.
I see, fair enough. I personally no longer use an iPhone but have read several reviews and had never heard this issue mentioned.

Comment

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Have fun waiting while Apple sorts it out. We'll all be enjoying our iphone 5's.

Comment

acorntoy

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2010
You have a defective phone. My response is better than EVER on my iPhone 5. Return it immediately and get a working phone. I'm not kidding
This.

I don't have any of the problems described and I type extremely fast.

Comment

bowlen

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Perth
I too noticed that - the screen is certainly less responsive than the older ones - i guess it is just something you have to get used to.

Comment

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Coming from Android at least, the screen is awesome responsive. Try any Android phone. There is no comparison.

Actually I have no idea what folks are talking about. I've never seen an iPhone that didn't have an exceptionally responsive screen. Can type wicked fast on it. Finger movements are tracked quickly and precisely, unlike Android.

I frankly thought you were going to say the biggest problem with the iPhone 5 is all the complaining. I can't believe all the stories I've heard. There isn't anything that hasn't been complained about. I love the ones about the slow phones that doesn't seem possible in hardware but could be software configuration.

Comment

Jay A whY

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
For those who have seen a difference in the screen responsiveness. Are you using a screen protector?

Comment

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Ummm you have a defective iPhone or had played with a defective iphobe... no not all iphones are like that and probably not even 0.5% of iPhone 5's made are like that

Comment