The birth of the Deportation Force

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Feb 11, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, it looks like we're getting the first taste of Trump's new "Deportation Force" this week:

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/11/51465...n-authorities-launch-raids-across-the-country

and

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...5efb7ccfb0d_story.html?utm_term=.e85d3875d051

Trump may not be able to immediately get his agenda past the Congress or the Judiciary, but he does have direct control over the executive branch. Now, we'll get to see whether his policies will be a net positive or a net negative.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why would the American immigrant community as a whole be fearful? They are only going after illegal immigrants.

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Did you say anything when ICE did this last year? The year before? Or, any other year?

From the article

"Federal immigration authorities have launched raids across the country in pursuit of people with felony convictions who are in the country illegally. Advocates say others are being caught up as well."

Why didn't you include that in your post?

4. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

A more apt title for this thread would be "Law enforcement agencies catching criminals. Legal immigrants OK."

Moving on.

5. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

And, just who defines "illegal"? The guy currently in the White House seems to think all "Mexicans" are rapists, and wants to get rid of all Muslims to boot. You could certainly imagine a guy like that, who is in command of the federal law enforcement agencies, might take a more "loose" definition of the law as defined. And, given that he already has a history of crossing his employees and daring them to take him to court, and that immigrants in general tend not to be well-heeled enough to hire lawyers, I have to imagine that Trump-style fear mongering should be effective.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

f
    from reports this is far more then usual.

7. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Nope. Because the guy at the top hadn't shouted from the hills "I AM CREATING A DEPORTATION FORCE!!!!!"

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The law defines it, you either crossed the border illegally or overstayed your visa.

9. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Cool. So, just who are legal immigrants in the first place? If you're a Mexican, that means you're a rapist, right? Trump wasn't complaining about illegal immigrants when he called Mexicans "rapists", he was complaining about "Mexicans" in general. And this is the man who is in charge of ICE.

10. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

It is delusional to believe that President Trump literally thinks all Mexicans are rapists. That's preposterous.

The immigration ban was on countries with Muslim-dominated populations. The ban was NOT on Muslims currently here. Come on man.

11. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Right! That's the definition of the law. Certainly, we can trust Trump to follow the letter and spirit of the law, can't we. ;)

12. appleisking macrumors 6502a

This is a non issue. Obama deported more than any other president has so far btw.

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

ICE does these every year and has since they were created, as did INS before that.

Carry on with your tantrum

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As Trump found out recently everyone in the country gets due process, so when these illegals are found to not be here legally they shouldn't be surprised when they get their ass deported.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2017 ---
    Yeh the "birth" part of this thread is a bit misleading, the law has been enforced by prior presidents for decades.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Perhaps he is just unusually poor at expressing himself, then, because that was certainly the impression he seems to have sought to convey.

For some strange reason, this "Deportation Force" reminds me of the Inquisitorial Squad in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Now, if I could only work out why this is what occurs to me.

16. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I think you (and many others) like to claim that you support law and order, but when the rubber meets the pavement you aren't actually in favor of it. It pains me to see families ripped apart when a member is deported for being illegal. But you know what? That's a risk that always existed. It's not like immigrants that are here illegally just stumbled in here by accident.

"What, you're telling me I'm not allowed to be here? I had no idea!"

I feel like I'm attacking you and I apologize for that. But man, the fact of the matter is that there are folks allowed to be here and folks that aren't. And nobody is a bad person for wanting to enforce those rules. Folks that are not here legally are at risk of being deported. It's the truth. The truth hurts and it is ugly, but it's still the truth.

17. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Really? I'd go for the snatchers from deathly Hallows if you're gonna go for a Harry Potter reference

18. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

So you're saying he lied?

(He does admit that some, perhaps, are good people...)

:) :) Come on, you understand why Trump can't get that EO through the courts, don't you? He wanted a ban on Muslim immigration. Of course, that is unconstitutional; so he went to the next best thing, and just banned everybody from a selection of countries. Why did he ban folks from those countries? Well, of course, because lots of folks in those countries are Muslims. Poof, right back to unconstitutional. So he's going to rewrite the EO, to make it constitutional? But what he wants to accomplish is to punish people for their faith!

Why shouldn't Muslims here be worried as well? Trump is a simple man, with a simple policy: get rid of Muslims.

19. appleisking macrumors 6502a

What's he gonna do deport Muslim citizens with America passports?

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Looks like 161 arrests were made 75% were felons.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Hm.

Perhaps. However, I'd argue for Snatchers - pure sadistic thugs - at a later - a more entrenched - period of power.

Fir now, the Inquisitorial Squad strikes me as a better match, because the Inquisitorial Squad have just that blend of arrogance, barely masked sadism, borrowed - but not quite confirmed - legal authority and are almost drunk with delight that they are allowed and able to wield (excessive but pseudo-legal) power at the very outset of a period of authentic autocratic rule.

Mr Trump by six months, eight months, twelve months: Yes, that could well resemble Snatchers. By then, the Courts could be silenced, bludgeoned (a verb used deliberately) into insensibility, or outmanoeuvred in pedantically legal terms. Re-written laws, silenced judges, fired individuals.....you know how it is.....or can be...

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

that is not a bad thing the felons gone. but it is far short of his 100,000 he was after.

23. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Very true. However, what I would also like to see is at least some effort at dealing with the enablers of illegal immigration; all those many, many American employers who look the other way and hire illegals to do all sorts of jobs. People couldn't live here illegally, nor would they even want to come here illegally, if we weren't handing them fistfuls of cash to do so.

And I mean it isn't that hard to tell if someone is illegal. If a guy has no documentation and is willing to work for well below minimum wage, you've gotta assume that not everything is on the up & up.

Definitely, people who are here illegally are breaking the law. But man, these folks are as much victim as perpetrator; and, given the work that they undeniably do for us, getting rid of them is not 100% beneficial to us.

So that's why I'm saying that this new level of enforcement could be a net positive, or a net negative...

24. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

More to come.

25. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Absolutely agree that employers should be cracked down on as well.