The bitch at Apple thread concerning the color shifting on the 20inch new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by togermano, Aug 29, 2007.

1. togermano macrumors regular

Can't we do somehting about this? Maybe post in the offical apple forum? This color shifting is major. If I drag a window at the top thats greyish mac theme and drag it down the grey looks white!!!! This should be considered a defect maybe mac will recall them and give us a perfect one! How do we go about this?

2. dirtleg macrumors member

I'm sorry. I don't recall hearing about this before.

Is there a thread out there addressing this already? Is this something new?

What up?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4. togermano thread starter macrumors regular

5. prs986 macrumors regular

I must be lucky.......my 20" iMac doesn't have that problem.

6. mrmjd macrumors regular

you must have the previous generation of iMacs that don't use the TN panel then.

There is nothing defective in this, it's normal behaviour in a TN LCD screen.

7. prs986 macrumors regular

I do have the new iMacs. Its just the way that others are describing it makes it sound like the computer is completely useless to ones in the design field! Which it's not! It's an amazing computer with an awesome screen! I think they're just blowing this whole thing out of porportion.

Yes, the 24 has a better panel.

Yes, there is MINOR color shift in the 20" but not as huge as ones are making it out to be. It's just characteristics of the panel in the 20".

With some calibration and patience, the 20" can be a beautiful piece of equipment to any pro.

8. mrmjd macrumors regular

Cool, glad you're happy with it cos it's been taking a right old bashing on these forums, mostly from people who have never seen it in my opinion.

I tend to agree with you that it has been blown way out of proportion, but I'm still surprised Apple put an inferior screen in the 20 inch to the 24 inch. I think there is an assumption from many people - rightly so - that the screens would be the same.

I do believe it's one of the better TN panels I've seen upon using it.

9. prs986 macrumors regular

Thats true you would assume that they would both use the same panel, but the 20" still has an amazing screen. But really, you can't compare a 20" iMac to a 23" ACD or even a 20" ACD. Each monitor has been made with 2 completely different markets in mind. True there are much better screens out there, but for $1500, its an amazing, top notched, computer for the price.

10. pimmie macrumors newbie

Saw it, returned the 20" iMac the same day. Looking at a 24" now, way better. Hate to say this to 20" iMac owners, but the panel is really not very good. OTOH, the 24" has problems of its own (I see it myself, and hear a lot about uneven backlight, mostly lighter at the left).

11. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

It isn't good compared with the old 20" screen, which I use at work. I'd hate to use the new screen for design work, but it's fine to use at home. You get used to it.
    I'm a little disappointed with it in that respect, but it's not a major deal for what I use the machine for at home.

12. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

I just got a brand new iMac 20" today and I really don't see any issues. I use it for normal day to day stuff, making movies, a garageband stuff and I am more than happy with it.

13. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

The colorshift on my imac is so bad that it has segregated drinking fountains =(

Just kidding. It's so slight that my brain filters it out and I can barley notice it, even if I try.

Someone call the waaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance.

14. prs986 macrumors regular

Seriously! People are complaining over nothing!

15. jmufellow macrumors regular

In the OP's defense, maybe his/her screen is considerably worse than the majority. Don't judge too quickly.

Also the OP shouldn't generalize that everyone's screen is as bad off as his.

Or maybe I've assesed the situation completely wrong.

16. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Yes it's a shame that the 20" panel isn't as good as the one in the previous model, but they had to cut down somewhere to make it possible to compete with other brands. I don't see what else to cut back on really.

The base model costs the same as a Dell with the same configuration. And considering how much nicer the iMac is it's a steal. And I can assure you that the Dell doesn't have a better screen.

I do feel for the designers and photographers who can't for some reason get the 24", but that is the option if you want a better screen, and it doesn't cost that much more.
    They could of course offer an option with a better 20", but that would only confuse people, and Apple likes to be straight forward and simple with their product lines.

17. l33r0y macrumors 6502

Apple dropped the ball on this one, in my opinion.

What they should have done was to only use the TN panel on the entry level iMac 20", and used the IPS on the higher end 20". Or if they want to be less transparent, offer a IPS as a CTO option for the 20".

Did they really think no one would notice an inferior panel since the refresh? Sure, many people don't care, but for others who find colour management a higher priority and specifically want a smaller screen..... :rolleyes:

18. rainydays macrumors 6502a

The thing is that it would probably cost as much as the 24" model. And the amount of people who would opt for a 20" instead of a 24" at the same price are probably fairly small.
    I bet there's several people who would still like a 17" iMac, but there's not even an option for that anymore.

You can't please everyone and still keep things simple. Especially not with an all-in-one. The 20" panel will most likely be upgraded in the future when technology moves forward and prices downward, but at the moment I think their offering is fair.

A mac mini + third party screen is also an option for graphics professionals on a budget.