The Blacklight bleed is (most of the times) bul***it

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jaav88, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jaav88 macrumors member

Hello!

I have been following the whole blacklight bleed story since the beginning. I live in Europe and I was actually quite scared about it, since I am planning to buy one this friday.

Reading and reading, most of the posts say that all iPads have it and the pictures actually look REALLY BAD. They also say that all LCD screens have it, etc. How comes then that I have never had this problem before??

Well, I did a little experiment:

I have a Macbook since 2 years ago and I am really happy with it. I never had any problems and I WATCH MOVIES WITH FULL BRIGHTNESS IN THE DARK all the time. Of course I have never seen anything wrong and I still don´t.

So what I did:

I took my macbook to a 100% dark room and I covered the logo. I made some pictures with my IPHONE 3G. and what was my surprise???? I guess I MUST HAVE A HUGE BLACKLIGHT BLEEDING PROBLEM!!! My screen looks awful!! MUCH WORSE than most of the iPad2 pictures that I have seen.

Does it mean that I have a problem?? NO. I haven´t noticed anything in two years so it is not a problem, and I still do not notice it at all.

What it comes from all of this is that:

1: I am sure that there are iPads with a big blacklight bleed problem but it is not as extended as it seems.
    2: You cannot trust the pictures that are posted because in a normal use you cannot even see "the blacklight bleed".
    3: Do not worry if you are going to buy an iPad 2, buy it if you want, and if you notice that you have a problem then you send it back, but not be scared because you have read that there is a "blacklight problem".

Cheers!

Here are the pictures of my "awful macbook"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

For a two year old screen that is very good

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

That is a very good screen. Trust us, the iPad bleed is worse than that and distracting.

4. GadgetAddicted macrumors regular

That is a good screen because the bleeding is uniform. On the iPad2, there are blobs of bleeding which make it a lot more distracting.

5. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

Your macbook pro pictures do not even approach what most of the iPAD pictures look like.

6. duk macrumors regular

Congrats. You've just photographed what is typical, tolerable and most importantly uniform, backlight bleeding of an LCD.
    The problem with the iPad is, in some cases worse than others, there are big distracting blobs of light, leaking out from random places around the edge of the screen.
    If you have it, and it is bad, it can become an obnoxious distraction.
    Guess you'll have to wait and see, but using a mbp to put your mind at ease over a potential problem with an iPad, unfortunately may not be the solution your looking for.
    Good luck.

7. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

What screen is that you all are going to to see if you have bleed? The black backlit screen cause my Ipad 2 will go back if I have it.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Oh dear OP, you are really not getting it at all. Unfortunately totally understanding what's been being talked about for the iPad.

Your screen looks great, and a reasonably fine example of what modern day LCD screen looks like (unlike ye'ole CRT screens of ye past) :)

No-one is talking about a general overall lightness to the black, or a gently lightening fading towards the sides.

We're speaking about "pinched points" on the screen. We are feeling must be down to design/assembly of the new model which is causing localised pressure points being put onto the outside edges of the screen, possibly the new glass/glue method? Which is making bright patches appear.

I'd love my iPad2 to look like your example and I'm sure we all would.

9. Irunnoft macrumors member

Exactly! My thoughts exactly. This isn't a uniform light bleeding. These are very pronounced, very distinct and very distracting areas of light issuing out from underneath the bezel.

But. . . you'll understand it better on Friday.

10. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

what a waste of a thread...

how is this related to an ipad

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep