The Blackwater Connection

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Apr 3, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Interesting item of news: Blackwater security firm founder and avid Trump supporter Eric Prince apparently worked on creating a "back-channel" communications link between Trump and Putin. According to the Washington Post,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...908a08-1648-11e7-ada0-1489b735b3a3_story.html

So yeah, it looks like Trump was already doing lots of wheelin' and dealin' with Russia, long before he took the oath of office. We should be seeing those sanctions lifted any day now, I suppose...

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This angle is a new one to me. It's going to take a while to sift all the allegations to find out what is wheat and what is chaff.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

If I'm reading that right then it's work with Russia to get rid of ISIS as opposed to giving ISIS arms like oclueless did . We should NOT be in Syria at all. If the Russians want to use their money and soldiers have at it

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Back-channel inter-actions have many times proven to be quite useful. Prevent wars, e.g., as during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. The more communication among US and Russian VIPs, the better.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Kudos to Donnie.
    Well done!
    Russia is an important and powerful ally.

6. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Agreed. I seem to remember Prez Reagan was a prolific letter writer, to his counterpart, at odds with his public persona and speeches.

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

You dems are like a dog with a bone with this Russia thing. It's hilarious.

Obama gives Iran over a billion dollars and signs a treaty that give them the bomb and we hear not a peep from you. But you'll run wild with these fake stories and tiny possible conflicts.

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't go that far.... Russia is and should not be an ally at all. While i am for trying to keep an open dialogue with them, they shouldn't be trusted.

9. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Eric Prince...the nutty hard right wing nationalist, and Christian fundamentalist that believes in American Jihad against anyone and everyone...that guy? The staunch Reagan sycophant billionaire? He acted as a intermediary with a ex-KGB and communist?

Are you sure...

10. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Of course. The problem is establishing the backchannel through someone whose interests are precisely going to war and more public spending into his private companies. A war profiteer if you will, the kind of person who rents out mercenaries without caring if its to the US government or to a rogue state.

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

He met privately with the group he wanted to war with?

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How often have we used the head of mercenary paramilitary organizations responsible for outright murder all around the world as intermediaries. Don't forget people, Eric Prince is Betsy Devos's brother.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2017 ---
    Eric Prince does not have a side, he is a bloodthirsty war profiteer who provides services for despots all over the world. His company is not American only.

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

And let's not forget that he is Betsy DeVos' brother.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I agree, the democrats are going full moron on the Russia thing and it's hugely dangerous.

That said, the USA returned money it outright stole from Iran (plus interest), and the agreement does not "give" Iran a ****ing bomb. Not one of our goddamn generals is against the plan, specifically because it was worded in such a way as to give the green light to start a conflict if there were any real violations of it. Note I said real, none of this ******** warmonger "they tested a missile!" outrage...

15. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Lobbying politicians to get their way wasn't enough, the 1% has taken over the White House.

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Iran has PUBLICLY said once they get the bomb they are going to use it on Israel. I wouldn't give them 1 red cent whether they were entitled to it or not. Also, if giving them their money back was no big deal then why did the Obama administration lie about the amount, at first saying it was $400,000 and then learning that it was way more?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2017 ---
    The 1% took over the white house in 1789 when Washington was inaugurated. They have had it ever since.

17. Scepticalscribe, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I don't have problem with the idea of talks with Russia, even "back-door" talks with Russia. For too long, the mindset of clutching the comfort blanket of Cold War certainties has been allowed to define the tone - and much of the content - of engagement with Russia.

Russia needs to be met, engaged with, and sometimes such talk may take place a little under the radar.

So, while the fact of the talks is not a cause for concern for me, the context and content of them may well be.

That is because I do not trust Mr Trump to engage in such talks for the public good, - he seems unable to distinguish between the public good ad the private good, - as I think him consumed by the opportunities for private enrichment.

And the links between the sort of unsavoury individual - and, yes, I will concede that while few who enjoy this kind of access and those kind of networks are pristine examples of political purity, there are degrees of what might be considered unsavoury, and I suspect that Mr Prince lies at the far end of that spectrum where 'unsavoury' is measured - who appears to be at the centre of these back-door talks and the administration also could bear some closer scrutiny.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Iran is not suicidal. Ignore the rhetoric from the leaders, the facts on the ground is the plan pushed back their breakout capability. That's a fact.

Anyway, if we don't launch a ******** war on Iran, their youth loves the western world. IF our older generation doesn't turn the Iranian youth into our enemies by destroying their country, Iran will be a major ally once their hardliner leadership (in place only because of the reaction to our destruction of their government) dies off/is ousted from power by a rising youth.

You want Iran to be a lifetime enemy? Bomb them. You want them to be a vital ally? Give them time and stop enabling the hardline reactionaries by constantly trying to set the stage for invasion.

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Iran makes themselves a lifetime enemy. And I don't see the hardline leadership EVER leaving. These old guys are always grooming the next generation of leaders. Even if they start out as young idealists who love the west they will be indoctrinated. The power they are given will corrode their ideals until they become the new hardline women hating jerks we know today as the Iranian leadership.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You haven't ever seen much of the youth have you? They are the most modern in the entire region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Knows_About_Persian_Cats

Get yourself a copy of this documentary and watch. Iranian youth is almost as "western" as you can get. They don't want war. But one thing is a surefire way to radicalize them, bombing their cities and families.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, our military is crystal clear that Iran's entire military posture is designed to slow an invasion in order to force diplomatic talks. That's in every QDR going back over the last decade and a half.

So ignore the ******** warmongering rhetoric, our own military states Iran's entire strategy is that of deterrence. Which is entirely rational given our 30+ years of Cold War rhetoric towards them.

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Its hard to have a lot of faith in Iran when they throw women in prison for getting raped, but we don't need to explore this rabbit trail too extensively.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's hard to have faith in America when they are locking up more of their population than any nation on earth, killing hundreds of thousands worldwide in ill conceived wars, etc.

You realize how stupid it is to frame a nation by the actions of it's current government right? The Iranian people have no natural inclination towards hatred of the West, despite the endless threats of annihilation coming from our politicians. I have no faith in the current regime, but cracks are appearing in their hold on power. To bomb the country would be to fortify the hardliners for another generation, at least.

I'll state it again because it's of vital importance. The ONLY thing that will cause the upcoming generation to be lost to the causes of freedom and peace is to bomb them before they can craft their own futures.

23. Huntn, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Start with why does the President of the United States need a secret back channel with Putin?
    Then ask your self why Trump claimed during his campaign he did not have any dealing with Russians and why Russia did their part hacking into various entities in the U.S. to sway the election towards Trump. Finally ask yourself what does Mother Russia have on its possible about to be exposed mole/pawn the President of the United States. o_O

Trump: I don't know Putin, have no dealings with Russia

Here’s what we know so far about Team Trump’s ties to Russian interests

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's not unusual in any way. Unfortunately the political climate in both countries have required back channels for decades.

That said, the war criminal Eric Prince deserves to be in a cage, not a representative of the USA.

25. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I agree, this isn't all that unusual -- when taken in the context of politics as usual.

But why would Trump, of all people, want to have a secret communications channel with Putin? This is a Friend of Trump trying to set up an extra-governmental channel known only to Friends of Trump, after all. Does Trump really need to work outside the government in this manner in order to get his work done? (And, for that matter, does he really feel that his work with Russia requires the kind of secrecy from the public that, say, the Iran nuclear deal obviously required?) Or, is this perhaps just another Friend of Trump using his connections with Trump to push forward his own personal agenda?

Anyway, I'm not criticizing the concept myself. I'm just concerned that Trump has neither the experience nor the interest in pursuing these kinds of deep, slow, under-the-radar practices. He seems more like the flashy, "meet openly face-to-face and flesh out a deal" kind of guy...