The Blue Tinkle: GOP Erases Double Digit Democrat Lead In Generic Ballot Polling

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ThisIsNotMe, Feb 14, 2018.

1. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Donald, are you sure this isn't you?

[​IMG]

3. 0007776 Suspended

I thought all polls were fake news, or is that only ones that are bad for Republicans?

4. samcraig macrumors P6

5. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

And the polling average remains around D+7, where it was for most of the last 6 months.

(And, in the mean time, Democratic candidates in election after election keep improving on their 2016 performance by considerably more than 7 points.)

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I really wish the left would come up with some election strategy that resembles a mature policy driven platform that doesn't separate everyone based on the color of their skin or who they're screwing instead of "OMG TRUMP". I still don't have a clue what their immigration plan is other than "Enforce immigration laws=those bastards hate Hispanics".

7. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Since we're flipping roles.

Do you even understand how polls work?

8. ThisIsNotMe thread starter Suspended

That is the entirety of their platform.

They bring nothing to the table beyond 'muh Russia', 'muh sexism', and 'muh racism' because their policy positions are rooted in failure and thus cannot complete in an open debate.

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Their policy positions (the ones they actually elaborate on) are that of the GOP from the early 2000’s. They don’t offer much in rebuttal to the ******* crazy GOP, which is why everyone hates the DNC leadership, they refuse to listen and instead think that screaming about Russia all the time is going to get them a massive blowout.

The problem is they have no message for what they’re planning to do should they win....so why would anyone vote for them outside of an anti-trump vote?

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It appears they're going to take a swing with identity and intersectional politics again, void of any actual policy proposals.

[​IMG]

11. samcraig macrumors P6

I do - and I look at them all with a critical eye. Unlike others.

12. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’m completely in agreement with you.

I’m glad I wasn’t taking a sip of water at that moment!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2018 ---
    What did your critical eye tell you?

13. samcraig macrumors P6

In short - that right now - it's still to early to get anyone excited. Especially since the margin of error for the post is +/- 2 percentage points. Republicans might have regained traction, but voter turnout is likely, once again, to dictate where the chops fall given that Trump himself isn't doing well in the polls - this or other. Especially with independents.

Also - as I said in other threads - weighting matters. IE for Trump's approval in this poll, it would appear that 47% approve and disapprove of him. However if you look at the ranking, the story goes deeper with those that Strongly approve vs Strongly disapprove is 26 to 34 respectively.

For congress - based on issue - it seems pretty 50/50 depending on the issue. Some the R's have a strong lead, on others, D's do.

It seems like Trump can't (based on this survey) can't claim that the people don't want him and his administration investigated.

Lastly, I think all of Congress and Trump should take a hard look at their budget based on what the polling data in here suggests as to what and where to spend money on.

Oh - none of the above is from the article. I looked at the actual polling data.

14. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Sticking to the topic, the poll....what’s your issue with a +/- 2 margin of error? It’s a good MOE. SO that’s all you got to object about? Okay!

15. samcraig macrumors P6

I have no issue with the margin of error. It's no different than many of the polls that the hysterical right like to dismiss as fake though.

You know my original comment was sarcastic and based on the fact that many here write off polls - especially those they misunderstand about the election. Another poster commented the same thing yet you and the other poster chose mine to reply to. I'm sure that's just coincidence. I have no objection. I just don't see this particular poll as something to get too excited about.

Are you excited about the polling data? If so, why? If not, why not? What does the poll say to you?

16. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Then what do you mean by this?

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Did you bother to look at the polling data. If you took the time to do that, you would understand my comment since some of the results are too close to matter with such a MOE.

18. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

You said you understand it. So, please explain it to me. That’s why I asked what your critical eye told you.

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

One thing if for certain, the best thing for the GOP side of things and the worst thing for the DEM side of this is to keep Pelosi talking.

20. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Which policy positions are those? Governing the country based on Middle Eastern fairy tales? Re-instating robber-baron capitalism? Forcing women to be brood mares for the State? Frankly, Scarlet, those are flops to hang on the GOP.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2018 ---
    You think Pelosi talking is going to make people forget Trump tweeting? Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If Dems don't pick up a large number of seats for midterms it will be cleaning house time for their leadership. Either that or their voting base just likes to post likes on Facebook without actually hitting the voting stations.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If, hypothetically, the Democratic Party wins big in 2018 then they will have to impeach Trump. This will likely be unpopular with swing voters, plus you'll get President Pence replacing him, and Pence will manage to go the week without being outrageous on Twitter so he'll be much more likely to win reelection.

Plus the longer Trump is in power the more he poisons the Republican Party.

On the other hand the Republicans most likely want to dump Trump ASAP, just they can't on their own without infuriating their base.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

They could wait to impeach Trump and/or time it closer to 2020 - limiting Pence's presidency.

I don't think Trump will be removed from office. He could very well face non-reelection, but impeached or not, I see him sticking around.

ETA: I do wonder how he'll do when back in the private sector without the protections of the oval.

24. Gutwrench, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2018

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

That’s a difficult hypothetical because there needs to be something to impeach over.

So assuming nothing significant changes in Mueller investigation, the House might impeach but the Senate would likely not even come close to convict. I don’t know how the voters would react but the crybaby Left ought to have to pay dearly for it.

25. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Perhaps I’m being cynical, but I read their pathetic shutdown as a clear indication they’re going to ride DACA hard into the midterms...but DACA activists already see they’re being used.