the bottom two thirds of my laptop screen are grey

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kellen.wp, Mar 16, 2008.

1. kellen.wp macrumors newbie

i have a macbook pro and when i boot it up the bottom two thirds of the screen are grey. this never goes away, its there when the first screen comes up, its there when the blue screen with the start up window comes up and it won't go away.

when it first started happening it would be just for a second and then it would go away. now its there and it makes the computer impossible to use. it is there when i boot in disc mode also.

a friend tried opening and shutting the screen as it booted and that worked ONCE, now it doesn't seem to do the trick and if the mac goes to sleep it doesn't want to wake up anymore.

my question is, is this an easy fix? my laptop is pretty much an integral part of my livelihood/social life/everything else so this is a big problem for me.

i do have applecare but i'm not used to dealing with them about this sort of thing. i haven't dropped it or anything but i'm scared that i've done something wrong without realizing it.

i'm out of town right now and when i get back i'll take it to the dealer, in the mean time any information someone has about this sort of thing might help to put my mind at ease...

thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It sounds like the LCD has gone bad or there is a loose wire. Or at least it does to me, I'd suggest taking it to Apple, try to explain your situation and see if you can get a replacement. Make sure to make a backup though. If you have another Mac and a FireWire cable, you can hold down T at startup to make the other Mac see the laptop as a hard drive.

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

lcd or cable. it is a hardware fault. back to the store you go!

best of luck.

4. kellen.wp thread starter macrumors newbie

i brought it in today and tried it with an external monitor and the image on the monitor was fine.

the only thing that makes me think it might not be just the screen is the fact that now it doesn't wake up after it goes to sleep and i have to restart it by holding down the power button.

5. free.me.today macrumors newbie

I have also got the same problem :), has any one manage to resolve the problem or found out why it occurs... it will be great to hear from anyone. Thank you

6. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I never thought a smiley face would be associated with a broken MBP, but maybe your just a guinely happy person.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

the lcd screen has a loose connection, you could try tightening it yourself, but that might void the warranty. just take it back to the apple store, and have them backup the data for you, and ask them to replace the lcd panel, or give you a replacement.