The brainwashing is wearing off: America is returning to the GOP!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Full of Win, May 22, 2009.

1. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Yep, the brainwashing that America has been exposed to looks to be wearing off. Republican affiliation is now the same as democratic, according to Gallup.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/15370/Party-Affiliation.aspx

When can be break out the ‘under new management’ signs for the House and the Senate in 2011?

2. MacHipster macrumors 6502

As soon as the GOP changes from being the party of Greed, Torture, and Bigotry.

3. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

...and become what, the Party of fiscal ineptitude and who care more about the emotions and feelings of terrorist than they do about the lives of Americans?

Thanks but no thanks.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

OP - your name seems to be off by the letter "D".

Even if the Democrats are as horrible as you state/imply - it does not necessarily follow that the GOP is any improved over their former state, or better than the Democrats.

This, of course, is true both ways - but I didn't start a thread with such an obvious, fallacial and inane point to begin with.

5. Queso macrumors G4

What do you mean "become"?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I think if President Obama wants to be more popular again, he needs to announce as soon as possible that there will soon be MASSIVE changes to our income tax system so it encourages more personal savings and capital investment in the USA.

Here's one problem: we now have around US$2 trillion running in the underground economy just about beyond the reach of the IRS. And we have an even worse problem: American citizens and businesses have funneled somewhere between US$12 and US$17 TRILLION out of the USA to various offshore financial centers located in places like the Bahamas, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Nauru, Panama, Switzerland, and so on for tax reduction reasons.

Can you imagine what would happen to the US economy if we can end these practices under better tax conditions and bring back anywhere between US$14 and US$19 TRILLION to flow in the US financial system? Our economic crisis would be OVER in a matter of weeks! :D

So how about it, Mr. President?

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You mean like the Bush tax cuts that did absolutely nothing to help? And don't worry- the GOP has a lot of apologizing to do before they become the majority again.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

What brainwashing is that? Been listening to Hagee or something?

10. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

What I'm talking about is a complete, systemic change to our national taxation system. Our current taxation system--even with the Bush tax cuts in 2003--still encouraged Americans to "offshore" their assets to keep them out of the reach of the IRS. Why do you think the amount sitting outside the country even during the last Presidency has reached possibly as high as US$17 TRILLION? :eek:

In short, if President Obama wants real change to bring our economy back, all that money "offshored" should be back in the USA under better tax circumstances.

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

^^^ or we take away the tax breaks for companies that stash stuff off shore. That will address some of the issues.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bingo- anyone dong that should be penalized.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well I would not be surprised by this. I except support for the democrats to drop like a rock over the next 4-8 years.

Reason for this is look over the course of history at which party was in control. It goes back and forth over any given time span. For a few years Rep have a huge amount of control. then the dems have it for a few year. The power will switch back to the rep. Honestly I do not like one party having near complete control over presidents and congress. Not just a slight control but near a complete control like they have now. The federal government is suppose to be slow and that is one of it checks and balances is how slow things move though it. Instead they are shoving things threw in record time buy passing all those checks nad not giving thing time to cool off a little. When things go flying though you get so much extra pork and pet projects add to bills.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

A refreshed Republican party would be pretty much neutral on social issues such as gay marriage and abortion. Let people decide on their own about those things and neither support nor oppose them. They would embrace fiscal responsibility, opportunity, personal freedoms, low taxes etc.

Instead, Republicans essentially stand for the opposite of all those things now. The Democratic party has been judged by the American people as the least damaging--though imperfect--route.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Didn't I start hollering, way back, that Dubya was not a conservative in the old usage of the word? "Statist" was my view of the whole Neo-Con deal. The Republican party got all splintered between statism and social stuff and got away from its roots.

If there is a true return to conservative principles of reduced government interference in daily life, and less do-goodism of more and more so-called entitlements, the party might come back to pre-Bush status.

The Democrats' problem is that a coalition can win elections but it cannot govern. Competing factions with different agendas in governance create splintering--which we see right now with leftist backlash against some of Obama's decisions on things like the Afghanistan "Surge" and Gitmo.

One factor in the present backlash is the Internet with its rapidity of flow of information. There's a helluva lot more learning experience about economics and monetary policy, now, than ever was available in the past--and the flaws in the administration's ideas are becoming ever more apparent.

Dunno how it will all play out. If the present Republican leadership just keeps on keeping on, they won't really get it together. I don't see anybody who's really stepping up as a real leader, with any sort of clean track record or a record of success in life who has "the fire in his belly".

'Rat

16. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Hopefully the right wing policies of the Obama administration will continue to alienate people from the spoiled and egoistic attitude of the small fringe of American voters who would benefit from Republican policies. This could be a stepping stone towards a more benign and responsible United States which is more in line with the rest of the democratic world.

17. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

And you support the mad feckers who destroyed your economy and buried you in debt????

It was the GOP that caused the unnecessary deaths of over three thousand Americans, not the democrats.

18. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Gentleman - this is from the Congressional Budget Office

[​IMG]

Notice the long bar on the right? Yep, that is the reckless spending when the DEMOCRATS are in charge! I'll grant the Republicans did spend more than was taken in, but on an annual bases relaitve to the current junta, it pales. Its scary to think what the en masse creation of money from the DEMOCRATS will do to the economy, I just think God that I have a little gold put away.

There was noting "unnecessary" about it. Moreover, the democrats have been in change of funding the war for the past 2.5 years, and they could have stopped spending on the conflict if they choose to. They did not.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It was completely unnecessary. Hussein was contained and no threat. Now, because of W's ineptitude and egomaniacal desire to go after his Daddy's nemesis, we have a huge mess on our hands in Afghanistan. Ya know- that place where Osama bin Laden's been hiding?

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Funny, I kind of figured Americans were being snatched off the streets and "re-educated" by Dick Cheney in a seedy motel off the interstate. Let the Spinmachine™ begin anew!

21. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Well they have to do something to prevent the economy from going into nosedive. Who left them with the mess they have? Are you suggesting they start cutting the budget now? At this time??

[/QUOTE]There was noting "unnecessary" about it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, sure glad they found those WMDs. World's a lot safer without them.

For Gods sake, the republicans were in charge of war spending for how long? 10 years?

No they could not have just 'stopped war spending'. Unless you want to completely destroy Iraq (even more than it is now anyway) you have to phase withdrawal.

Do you even see your double standards? Where were you when W was raiding the Treasury to pay for his wars?

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They did those tax cuts back in 2001 because they were worried about the economy dipping into a recession. If we would have put a lid on what was going on in the financial/housing sector back then we would have been much better off.

I don't see where people get off criticizing NOT taxing people to the hilt. I would rather everyone's taxes were the minimal amount possible to sustain a functioning government. Tax cuts help the rich more than the poor, the rich pay more money in taxes and are the entities giving investment capital for business.

As for the thread, i am not happy with either party and not sure that i would label myself either republican or democrat at this point. Talk about a lousy 8 years and rolling.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

LOL... Sounds like the brainwashing has just started then.

Although in reality, those numbers don't mean the GOP is coming back. As was noted by Ron Brownstein, GOP strength in the South has masked their weakness everywhere else. Being a rump regional party isn't going to provide a path to salvation.

And speaking of governing coalitions, the GOP has discovered that the have their own battle ongoing for their heart and soul. Their leaders are urging that they take a turn hard to the right -- as if there's much room left there -- and that will save them. But going further right alienates the moderates and independents they need to grow their numbers. And moderating their positions on social issues to appeal to those moderates and independents guarantees the alienation of their base.

No, the GOP has more time left in the political wilderness before they return -- if they ever do.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The GOP has been off in la-la land for the last 8 years, they do need to return to the foundation of the right (the republican name is probably so tainted at this point they might as well change it). Even California is voting down big tax bills. I see minimal differences between the parties anymore, especially since the republicans do the exact opposite of what they say. They are all a bunch of politicians who couldn't give a **** less about the people they are governing.

Instead they will focus on issues like gays/abortions and religion. If/when they do they will fail.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Notice the small section where the bars go up rather than down? Yep that was under Clinton, that well known Republican president.