The Breakup

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

An interesting article discussing the personal breakup of people due to the election.

It hasn't impacted any of my relationships as far as I can see but has the election affected any of your relationships ?

One thing in my favor is that I'm not on Facebook which seems to be a major cause of the political infighting :).

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Facebook caused more relationship break ups for me (friends, not romantic relationships). Seeing what people say in the wee hours really turned me off. I dropped Facebook completely and don't talk to those people any more. I'm much happier now.

3. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I wish you would break up with your avatar.

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Dude that's getting old now. Just like yours. And I hate Hillary

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm just scared to death of those things. But I'll know it off cause I like you, a little less now though. ;)

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You got my upvote on that. I'm not fond of yours either but I understand it as I would a tribal dream at this point. His, however, just gives me the creeps.

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I changed my avatar for you guys, just because I care about you. I am keeping my signature the way it is.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

This will take some getting used to!

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Just lose yourself in my avatar.

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Proof that for some, politics is their religion.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Everyone believes in something.

13. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Indeed, but if you're breaking up over an election...yikes.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

;)

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I could easily imagine breakups over this election...I finally have to face what an imbecile my significant other is, but I know of no one personally who has split up over this issue. :)

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Talk about rash decisions. Married 22 years and gets a divorce because of how her husband voted. Hopefully she didn't take him for half his stuff.

17. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I have not had any personally, but the FB thing is out of control. I have seen people who I went to school with and had no idea of their political affiliation go off the deep end on both sides. I stay out of it. My close friends know where I stand and we just accept it and go on.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL you never know these days. She might have waited this long because he'd have taken half her stuff, but now figured it was finally worth it. Not sure I'd go so far as to get a divorce though. :p

No Facebook setup for me and I haven't become estranged from any friends or family members although there are a couple I have not made political wisecracks to the way I used to do in the past.. a few libertarians who I think may have voted for Trump after becoming extremely disappointed w/ Gary Johnson. I consider their views and don't blame them really. There's no way they could have voted for Clinton. In their shoes I might have voted for or written in McMullin, but I expect they loathed her too much to want to contribute to her possible win.

So far post-election I've avoided getting too far into politics w/ friends who did vote for Trump as their first choice from the get-go, but who since then have volunteered to me that they have regretted it. I understand it's hard to regret any choice of two lesser evils when the one you chose doesn't seem to be working out. I mean there's a reason you didn't choose the other one, so... if you believe in casting a vote versus abstaining, then regret over the choice doesn't mean that you now endorse the other guy.

I sure don't expect any of those friends to say they wish they had voted for Hillary. So we chat about other stuff, at least for the time being. Frankly it feels a little bit like one of those deals where you read in the police blotter in the paper that your friend's kid was busted for disturbing the peace... whaddya gonna say. It's embarrassing.

We agreed at a family reunion last summer not to harass a couple nextgen who declared themselves Republican, since they had stopped short of endorsing Mr. Trump. Mostly we're Dems or indie libertarians. I respect people who sort out stuff on policy, though I may argue policy til the cows come home. But if they voted for Trump... well once upon a time I briefly considered voting for Wallace :eek: as a protest vote but came to my senses before the election. My father actually did vote for Wallace that year, as first choice, not as protest, and I was outraged, of course :rolleyes: as only a 20-something can be outraged in that special time of life when we know everything and parents are idiots.

My excuse that year for thinking about a Wallace vote was grief and rage over the assassinations of Kennedy and MLK Jr., and dislike for everything establishment about Humphrey and the Vietnam War... my dad admired Curtis LeMay, the VP pick of Wallace, for coming out strongly against "those hippies" protesting the Vietnam War, and for being tone deaf enough to suggest a few times that one way to end that war was nuke the place. I mean we had kin and friends over there so... duh, Dad?!

So especially with my nextgen I just encourage them to get informed and to vote. I don't mind sharing that anecdote about Wallace with them though. They roll their eyes, but maybe they will remember it when they're trying to sort out a lesser-of-evils gig sometime.

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yeah I don't have FB either. Twitter which I mostly use to just follow public figures and Instagram just to see the extra photos of my niece and nephew. I have one friend that tries to push her agenda on me and when I push back it's her going off on talking points claiming just how bad I am. I'll push back more and it's a quick "let's change the subject" and we're good again.

20. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I don't really care much for anyone here, so no I won't be changing mine. you guys put way to much stock into politics. It's not even healthy. They don't care about us.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I admit that your avatar is creepy, and for that very reason I love it.

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I've been saying that for years. One party with 2 different names.

23. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Have a handful of liberals and I think 2 conservatives that post crap every once in a while. I don't really use Facebook. It's just a bunch of narcissistic people posting self-help inspirational crap, lularoe or w/e and candle/makeup junk. Unless it's about me I don't really care and even then I don't care what they think about me. I guess that makes me one of them. :confused:

24. eatrains macrumors regular

I think this election has cut deeper than any before, beyond simple politics. It becomes a question of whether you want to support someone with the attitude and behavior of Trump or you don't, whether you accept science or you don't, whether you get taken in by empty rhetoric and ineffective plans or you don't.

I could see two people coming to the realization that they're just fundamentally different at their core, not just a matter of right or left.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah I guess I could actually take that view sometimes; it depends how much coffee I've had, maybe. Or how depressed I am over the adventures of Mr. Trump. Breaking up with Mr. Trump is going to be a long term project, I sometimes fear, and so I can get grumpy and out of sorts.:rolleyes: