The Brits are our allies and friends, right?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Aug 12, 2008.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Then why did the US deceive them and blow an investigation they had been developing for over a year?

As the author points out, this was done for pure political gain by GW and company. WIth friends like us, who needs enemies. It makes me ashamed to be an American, when we cannot be trusted by our friends. I do not conduct my personal life this way, and I resent being guilty by association.

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

"The worst plot since 9/11, that has been foiled, and this is why you want us in power."

Thank god for MI5 is all I can say.

It's very hard to work out from bush who are the USA's closest allies, he seams to tell everyone that "America has no better friend than..."

But hey, only 5 months left and then hopefully you'll have a president who is honest with your friends.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Sadly this sort of operation has been quite commonplace over the last few decades, and it isn't just the CIA doing it. The countries may change, but influencing public opinion by shepherding events is standard propaganda practice in intelligence circles.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

So the U.S. arrested the would-be UK airline hijackers prematurely before the Brits could get more hard evidence. Am I missing something?

6. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

A great deal seemingly. The Brits and the Mossad are the two finest intelligence services in the world. They were building iron clad cases against the AQ ring, but were also patiently attempting to expose the entire cell. They had the situation in total control, and could possibly trace everyone involved, if given sufficient time. This was their operation, and we bungled in and almost blew the entire operation. Thankfully, they had a contingency plan to roll the entire thing up at short notice. We are very fortunate they were more 'on the ball' than we are.

This is just one in a series of WH f**k-ups, that involve intelligence. The most obvious one is outing Valerie Plame and exposing her intel network. We also exposed another country's intel network, shutting it down and getting some operatives killed. This administration is a bunch of little boys, playing an adult's game.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Willfully, it would appear.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Is this the one we already knew about a year or so ago, or another? They also bungled when a private security company had been building intel and the WH blew it to tout how great they were at catching the bad guys. Completely blowing years of work. I can't find the link to it, but I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.

And to think, they were reelected because they were viewed as stronger on terrorism (they who ignored the PTB saying Bin Laden would attack), just as McCain is, even though wants to continue the same failed cowboy politics. :rolleyes: